Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 Consumer Reviews - 10 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Very Low Maintance
By frank castle

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Not a single drive train problem in ten years. Not a single tune up problem. Original plugs replaced at 150 000 miles. 27 on the highway. My mechanic has warned me not to get rid of the 98 320e. He has several he maintains. Yes, the center arm rest is not perfect, but it is fine. Amazing how well the paint has held up. Ours is a bronze gold. I cannot think of a problem we have had with this car, our 10th. We did replace valve cover gaskets when they leaded. Just did a round trip Boston to Florida. Tomorrow I will drive 200 miles to NYC without a worry. We did replace the headlights when they became less than water tight. Not cheap. Roomie for five. Trunk more than adequate. The man who bought our car new bought a 430, so this is a very powerful car, but the 320E I have driven is more than adequate. the 320E V6 has 12 plugs and is quite smooth. I would buy another today if it had been super maintained.

Update From a Year Ago
By bsavoie93

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

In my year of owning this car and putting about 20,000 miles on it, Now at 90,000 Miles, I've had zero issues except with the rear power sunshade. It has a bad design and stopped working. I bought a used sunshade and installed it myself, cost $200. The dealer wanted $1000 for the part and to install! Other than that, this car has been incredibly reliable. The engine hasn't caused one issue for me and nothing in the interior has failed or fell apart (other than the sunshade). The fit and finish is hands down the best. This car is incredibly reliable and if you do all the maintenance yourself it won't cost much to maintain. It also gets great gas mileage for such a big car with a big V8

Excellent Gas Mileage! I can get from my house to Los Angeles which is over 100 miles in less than a quarter of a tank! Sport Package (makes it look so much newer), Rear Sunshade, The Engine, Bose, The Climate Control and most of all the Reliability!

The rear seat could have more room and the front seats could have a tin bit more lumbar but thats just me. Other than that the seats are wonderful especially on long trips

My Second First Car
By Brian

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

For my first car my parents bought me a 1990 Mercedes 300E. I loved that car but it was dangerously underpowered and didn't feel like getting in an accident when pulling into traffic. So I upgraded to my E430 Sport. I love this car! Most of my friends think its a 2005 or 2006. The ride is incredibly smooth, The power is amazing and The Climate Control system is awesome. All my friends envy the Bose Sound. I like all the little things Mercedes put in like the vents in the center console and the Rear Power Sunshade. I would recommend this car to anyone. I bet it will go over 300K miles. Mercedes-Benz is the best and I will only buy Mercedes Benz now.

The Power, The Bose Sound, The One Touch Down One Touch Up Power Windows on all 4 windows, The Power Rear Sunshade and The Climate Control System.

The Cup Holders. There's only one country that makes good Cup Holders and that's America.

UnderRated
By Phreeze

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Plain jane exterior hides an exceptionally well crafted and highly reliable machine. Quick tracking, rapid acceleration, sure grip lay beneath a church choir skin. Lacks the flare of its sizzling sisters and brothers; but, delivers the message of a final destination worth visiting. Currently has 125,000; acts like the day it was born. Wolf in geeks clothing, including the pocket protector.

1. Bose sound system 2. Instant acceleration 3. Comfortable seating 4. HP to weight ratio (same HP and price as STS; but, better performance, top end, and speed plus 600lbs less

1. Dumb down the technology 2. Manual fails to reveal all electronic and mechanical features 3. Make it more owner-repair friendly

Best E430
By E430 Is Great

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Very nice car inside and out. Very reliable. Only regular service needed and few minor services that are required when time comes like seals and stuff. Other than that it's a very good car so far

Sporty look, handling

More comfortable seats, sporty seats