1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Update From a Year Ago
By bsavoie93 on 02/15/11 21:43 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

In my year of owning this car and putting about 20,000 miles on it, Now at 90,000 Miles, I've had zero issues except with the rear power sunshade. It has a bad design and stopped working. I bought a used sunshade and installed it myself, cost $200. The dealer wanted $1000 for the part and to install! Other than that, this car has been incredibly reliable. The engine hasn't caused one issue for me and nothing in the interior has failed or fell apart (other than the sunshade). The fit and finish is hands down the best. This car is incredibly reliable and if you do all the maintenance yourself it won't cost much to maintain. It also gets great gas mileage for such a big car with a big V8

My Second First Car
By Brian on 11/17/09 19:16 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

For my first car my parents bought me a 1990 Mercedes 300E. I loved that car but it was dangerously underpowered and didn't feel like getting in an accident when pulling into traffic. So I upgraded to my E430 Sport. I love this car! Most of my friends think its a 2005 or 2006. The ride is incredibly smooth, The power is amazing and The Climate Control system is awesome. All my friends envy the Bose Sound. I like all the little things Mercedes put in like the vents in the center console and the Rear Power Sunshade. I would recommend this car to anyone. I bet it will go over 300K miles. Mercedes-Benz is the best and I will only buy Mercedes Benz now.

UnderRated
By Phreeze on 12/31/07 17:36 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Plain jane exterior hides an exceptionally well crafted and highly reliable machine. Quick tracking, rapid acceleration, sure grip lay beneath a church choir skin. Lacks the flare of its sizzling sisters and brothers; but, delivers the message of a final destination worth visiting. Currently has 125,000; acts like the day it was born. Wolf in geeks clothing, including the pocket protector.

Best E430
By E430 Is Great on 09/26/07 03:14 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Very nice car inside and out. Very reliable. Only regular service needed and few minor services that are required when time comes like seals and stuff. Other than that it's a very good car so far

Joy to drive, but painful to service.
By JDA on 02/07/06 22:46 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Inherited this car while under warranty. This car has beautiful lines, a comfortable interior, and sensational performance. I love to drive it, and I will miss it in three days, when the new owner takes possession...sniffle, sniffle. However, having owned Nissans and Toyota's prior to this vehicle, I have to say, the reliability on this car...not so good. We have had $4,600 of repairs since 2001, mostly electrical, frequently involving window motors - and the car only has 70k. Further, we had to have rear car- seat tethering mounts installed - very expensive on something that should be standard. Electrical issues/ $ repairs outweighed road performance; we switched to an Infiniti.

Former Lexus owner
By Mark Burns on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Drove an LS 400 for 250,000 enjoyable miles, but wanted something with a little more road character. Throughly enjoying this new experience.

Awesome!
By ejdiablo on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

My wife and I wanted a car that was safe, fun to drive, and that would last a very long time with minimal maintenance. This car is awesome! 1998 E430 Sport w/ESP and many great options. It is the 210W Chassis (95-99 model years?), one of the best series of M-B ever. Two MB mechanic friend both directed me to this year and model.

AN EXCELLENT MIDSIZE MOTORCAR
By TMP on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

I LOVE THE ENGINEERING & HOW IT'S BUILT. THE ONLY MECHANICAL REPAIRS REQUIRED WAS NORMAL MAINTENANCE. I PERFORM 99.9% OF ALL REQUIRED MAINTENANCE/MECHANIC WORK. I TUNED THE ENGINE & DROVE THIS CAR ON A 200 MILE TRIP AND GOT 29.9 MPG, AT 60MPH, WITH THE AC ON AUTO. THE FRAME IS VERY STRONG WITH NO BODY SHAKE ON ROUGH ROADS. I DON'T DRIVE THIS CAR IN BAD WEATHER BUT WHEN I GOT COUGHT IN THE RAIN IT'S GREAT. IN MY OPINION THE BENZ HAS BECOME THE BENCHMARK FOR HOW I RATE MOTORCARS. I WORKED FOR BMW FOR 8 YEARS & ALL I SAW WERE PROBLEMS. THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH THIS CAR IS THAT IT GETS DIRTY. THE NEXT BENZ WILL BE AN S-500.

AWESOME - GAS GUZZLER
By SF California on 06/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

Awesome handling around the corners; great acceleration; quiet and smooth yet sporty ride; interior well-designed for ease of operation; looks great (sport package); guzzles gas (about 15MPG combined!). Opt for the 320 if MPG is important.