1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Terribly Unreliable
By rchampaneri on 09/16/13 18:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

never ever in my life would i have thought to recieve such a TERRIBLE car. 1 month after owning it, the headlights wont turn off. then the battery died. seeing as im in high school i was ok with it sitting for a day or two. but once i bought a new battery none of the electric component were working. (radio, speedometer, gas gauge, windows, door locks) i bought the car at 139k

Mercedes Money Pit
By or_cagirl on 09/14/13 22:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon in Portland from a European used car dealership a few years ago. It only had 105 thousand miles, interior and exterior in great condition. My previous car was a 91 Volvo wagon and lasted 20 years but with teens being over 6'2, the Mercedes wagon has more leg room than the Volvos. Car ran well for the first year, then the mechanical problems started one after another. The cost for just an oil change is minimum $200.00. I paid $6000.00 for the car in 2010. Since then I have put over $10.000 into it in repairs. I spent less on my Volvo in the 20 years I owned it. I love the room of the E320 but the cost has been a nightmare. Caution before you buy!!!!

The worest Mercedes-Benz I ever had
By voice1 on 10/17/12 13:45 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This car I bought new 1998 , as soon as it went over 95000 Km the oil add oil started , in a 300 miles trip I would have to add at least two quarts . Then the electronics started to fall , the headlight the tail light light bulbs almost every two to three week. Rust in the trunk around the key lock . I would say my 230 1988 or my 200 D 1973 were million time better built cars . I lost intrest in buying another Mercedes .

E320 at 195,000 miles
By jbnj1 on 11/02/11 12:46 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

ok at an amazing 195k on the clock this car just never stops amazing me , I bought this car about 1.5 yrs ago and my wife takes this car from nj to Lex va reguraly about 1000 miles round, I have no fear in letteing her do this with this car, I WOULD NEVER let her use any of our other cars ((3) all with less milage) to do this,,, this car gets about 30mpg , stops on a dime with akbono pads , and you can eat a bowl a soup in this car at 100-120mph and yes I've run this car personaly on I95, I81, and I76 multiple times in the triple digits ,The BEST USED CAR I've ever owned, this veh gets regular service , and when it was bought i recvd complete records, if you can do so too , buy it

What an amazing car!!!!
By porthmadog on 06/07/11 20:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I love this car. I bought my E320 in Arizona 2 years ago. I originally only wanted to drive a manual car, however in trying to be objective in my car selection, I test drove an E320. Immediatly I loved it. Aside from one minor mishap with a transmission hose that was improperly put on during a flush (bad garage), I have had not a single issue. I even enjoyed my husband changing the over engineered 12 spark plugs, saving me over 1000 dollars. I currently have 111600 miles on the clock and am looking forward to having my E320 for many years to come. I will never buy another car unless it is a Mercedes.

WARNING! Bad Engineering ahead
By vwbus1979 on 04/11/11 17:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

After five long years of owning my 98 E300 TD, I am left with a completely destroyed car due to poor engineering on MBZ. Turns out MBZ designed the transmission cooler INSIDE the radiator. The tranny cooler contains oil and the radiator contains water. Think about it. Yup! The two mixed last weekend and water went into the transmission, completely destroying the transmission, torque converter and engine electronics leaving me with a $7k bill for a car worth only $9k. Last summer, it was $4k to replace the diesel injectors. The summer before that, $2400 to replace the A/C unit and belts. The car only has 104k miles on it. It is now scrap metal. Unreal.

Update From a Year Ago
By bsavoie93 on 02/15/11 21:43 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

In my year of owning this car and putting about 20,000 miles on it, Now at 90,000 Miles, I've had zero issues except with the rear power sunshade. It has a bad design and stopped working. I bought a used sunshade and installed it myself, cost $200. The dealer wanted $1000 for the part and to install! Other than that, this car has been incredibly reliable. The engine hasn't caused one issue for me and nothing in the interior has failed or fell apart (other than the sunshade). The fit and finish is hands down the best. This car is incredibly reliable and if you do all the maintenance yourself it won't cost much to maintain. It also gets great gas mileage for such a big car with a big V8

Solid Car
By Solar Winds on 08/10/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300TD Turbodiesel 4dr Sedan

I was rear ended at a stop light by a pick up truck going fast and all I heard were screeching tires and then the crash. The e300 took a hard hit and did well. I got out out with whip lash. The seat held me in like a glove and felt if I was driving a lighter tinier car it would have been worse. The insurance company paid me 2300 more then what I paid for it. This diesel engine is great and gets up to 30 city and 36 hwy going 80 mph. I am debating on a new diesel or a 320, 430 e or c class This is a safe car and fuel is cheap knowing your safe...

My Second First Car
By Brian on 11/17/09 19:16 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E430 4dr Sedan

For my first car my parents bought me a 1990 Mercedes 300E. I loved that car but it was dangerously underpowered and didn't feel like getting in an accident when pulling into traffic. So I upgraded to my E430 Sport. I love this car! Most of my friends think its a 2005 or 2006. The ride is incredibly smooth, The power is amazing and The Climate Control system is awesome. All my friends envy the Bose Sound. I like all the little things Mercedes put in like the vents in the center console and the Rear Power Sunshade. I would recommend this car to anyone. I bet it will go over 300K miles. Mercedes-Benz is the best and I will only buy Mercedes Benz now.

1998 MB
By damngoodlookin on 12/25/08 22:12 PM (PST)

1998 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for a year now. I have regular service at a independent mechanic. I have had basically almost no problems with it at all except a leak in an after-market chrome wheel, which was fixed for $29. Although there are a number of newer MB in my work parking lot, the valets like to park mine right in front, maybe because the '98 E is the size of the newer S series and the styling is so great. I am more than pleased with it.