Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Still new.
By Richard Marino

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 26,000 miles and have driven it for 3 1/2 years. It now has 84,000 miles and still runs, drives, and looks like a brand new car. It has been the most reliable car I have ever driven and I am amazed at how a V8 can have so much power on demand and yet still get great gas mileage around town.

Favorite Features

Power and performance. Gas mileage for a V8. Amazing build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Not a great deal of high tech options.

Great vehicle
By RT17

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I have had no major problems with it. It is continuously pleasing to drive and admire. It's hard to get sick of it. The features of this car are great. I personally think this is the greatest sedan made in its price range, a perfect balance of elegance, safety, luxury, reliability, and safety.

Favorite Features

Adequate performance, solid feeling, excellent adjustable seating and telescoping steering, and firmness of steering. You can knock down the rear headrests with the push of a button. The car doesn't roll back on hills. The various inconspicuous but helpful features are never ending.

Suggested Improvements

It needs a bigger trunk.

I will buy another
By wideopenbite

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

This is still perhaps the most eyecatching Mercedes model, along with the new SL. This car is smooth, quiet, reliable, and a real blast to drive on a long curvy country road. When the time comes, I will probably look to replace this car with a 2001 or 2002. The V-8 is definately the way to go.

Favorite Features

Design, build quality, and performance.

Suggested Improvements

I think in dash CD changers are the only way to go.

Best used car I ever bought!
By Damsel

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a big, safe alternative to my SUV and I'll never go back! There were over 100k miles when I bought it and it's never given me one minutes pause. I've only had to do routine maintenance and hope to drive for a few more years.

Favorite Features

solid handling, quiet comfortable rocket :)

Suggested Improvements

Front cup holder a structural nightmare and have I've had problems with the headlight fogging from the inside. Othwewise, wonderful!

Fuel System Nightmare
By D &L

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

We love this car BUT, it has had serious fuel system problems. The fuel injector pump has been replaced at 50K and 90K miles. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere when it went out at 90K. A long walk with no cell service in the area.Thank God for the 100K extended warranty we bought or we would have been out over $3K each time. Our previous diesel a 1982 240D ran over 300K miles with no problems. We wanted one of the new CDI diesels but now we are not so sure.