1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Great Vrooom
By R. Ravenstad on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Great to drive on gentle country roads with the sunroof open and the Bose system jammin. Feels like a Benz is suppose to. It makes you feel like water on moderately crowded freeways.

Great vehicle
By RT17 on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I have had no major problems with it. It is continuously pleasing to drive and admire. It's hard to get sick of it. The features of this car are great. I personally think this is the greatest sedan made in its price range, a perfect balance of elegance, safety, luxury, reliability, and safety.

Still new.
By Richard Marino on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 26,000 miles and have driven it for 3 1/2 years. It now has 84,000 miles and still runs, drives, and looks like a brand new car. It has been the most reliable car I have ever driven and I am amazed at how a V8 can have so much power on demand and yet still get great gas mileage around town.

I will buy another
By wideopenbite on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

This is still perhaps the most eyecatching Mercedes model, along with the new SL. This car is smooth, quiet, reliable, and a real blast to drive on a long curvy country road. When the time comes, I will probably look to replace this car with a 2001 or 2002. The V-8 is definately the way to go.

Best used car I ever bought!
By Damsel on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a big, safe alternative to my SUV and I'll never go back! There were over 100k miles when I bought it and it's never given me one minutes pause. I've only had to do routine maintenance and hope to drive for a few more years.

The Worst
By Laurie Forbes on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

My husband and I purchased this car from our niece, who was transferred to Hong Kong. We didn't even get it home before we started having problems. The front end needed repairs twice, electrical and wiring several times, 2 batteries, the alternator, the air conditioning. For the three years we have owned this vehicle, we have paid out nearly $10,000 for repairs. It is by far the worst car we have ever owned.

Most fun luxury sedan/check engine light
By gsaylors on 01/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I turn heads and people can't believe what you can get them for. However, my gripe is that in six months, it has been in to the dealership five times at least. Starmark is great but beware many things are not covered, I have paid $1000 out of pocket already and claimed $2000 more. And I also have the popping seat frame on acceleration etc. as another reviewer mentioned.(not covered by starmark). This is truly a love/hate relationship and my local service dept. hasn't impressed me with misdiagnoses only to be fixed at another dealership. Hope you all won't be as unlucky as me. In closing though this car is a wonderful combination of luxury and sport feel.

Best Ride!
By accumulator on 12/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

This car drives the best of any comparable cars! Smooth and stable cornering, solid feel, and impressive acceleration. Having owned Lexus for many years, I believe the quality of the details are more superior on the Lexus but the LS400 cannot compete with this one on the quality of the ride. Get used to more stares and attention driving a Mercedes compared to other luxury cars!

BIG GERMAN DISAPPOINTMENT
By dr.falco on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

My 4th benz will be my last. OK styling. Enough power but with a noticeable acceleration lag. Even with all the auto gadgets the seats were not comfortable. A great geezer car but not much else. Trans went out at 60000.

My First Benz
By silverarrow on 10/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I drove a 1977 Buick Regal for 17 years. Put 275000 miles on the original power train. That vehicle allowed me to save enough to purchase the car that I thought was a gorgeous automobile. Love this car. In the 5 years I have owned this automobile, I have lost a left rear window regulator ($100). BUT, if I had it to do over I would seriously look into an A6 (with an 8).