Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

My experience w/ E320
By Stewmeistr

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I find that finding someone who won't take advantage of you while fixing these cars is a very rare find. My suggestion is to get a code reader and diagnose problems yourself. Goto an online store like Az autohaus to buy parts or ebay and get parts to put on yourself. Most aren't tough, but will save you alot of money. Known problems are air mass sensors($), the ac fan relay. Ours has been relatively inexpensive to own, but I can see how you could get taken with one of these cars. The dealerships will charge big $ for simple problems. Good luck, these cars still drive better than new cars. Made with quality, but some bad parts spoil the bunch. Great mileage though and smooth power.

Favorite Features

Great looks, decent power, great mileage, autobahn like gearing can get you to 90mph effortlessly. Sewing machine smooth engine.

Suggested Improvements

Get better air mass sensors. I've never had a car that "eats" them like this car at 240 a pop wholesale, that hurts.

My last Mercedes
By Aphra

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This is my third and last Mercedes. Since buying it in 2003 I have replaced the transmission, radiator, electrical system, plus 3-sets of tires, 4 sets of brakes. In 2008, I spent $4700 on car repairs alone! I wish I had sold this car years ago! My other two cars were trouble free but they were diesels. It's a pretty car from the exterior but the interior has not worn well

Favorite Features

Good looking exterior,

Suggested Improvements

Mechanically better. More durable interior.

Dissapointed
By George

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I am very dissapointed with Mercedes and will no longer ever look to buy one in the future. I purchased my 1997 E420 from a reputable local dealer in 2005 with 54,000 original miles.My vehicle only has 66,000 miles to date and I have been forced to make costle repairs the last six months in excess of $4,000. As the vehicle is only worth $7,000 I feel I have been cheated by chosing such an unreliable hunk of junk. If you are looking for reliability and affordability, this is not the car for you! I have had to replace my lifters,a/c blower,seat motor,ignition, and lastly the radiator cracked. This car is easy to fall in love with its looks but has proven to be venomnous to my bank account!

Best Car Ever
By Cindy

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

The best ride ever! I bought this car new and drove it for over 11 years. Well made and very low maintenance and great gas mileage for a V8. Unfortunately, I loaned it to a friend that wrecked it. I miss my wonderful car.

Favorite Features

Body style, no road noise, sports car handling, interior size and style. MB paint job was excellent. Best car ever!

Suggested Improvements

Decent cup holder.

I got it for my 16th b-day
By rodgerdodger90

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Don't get me wrong here, Mercedes-Benz makes some great cars and I believe this is one of the greatest. My mom had it first, then she bought the 2000 S-Class and gave this to me. this car has great pick-up speed, never looks old really, and it's simple and practical luxury. Catches the eye everywhere you go and never ashamed to valet park. I think it's their best sedan.

Favorite Features

It's got ESP, TCS, ABS, ABC, and every other technical chip you can find. but yet so elegant.

Suggested Improvements

MBZ chrome rims are a waste, I bought tires left and right, just burned a hole in my wallet and that goes for all MBZ.