1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews 4

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Bad car for very high price
By hollyaben on 07/11/06 08:57 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Car had problems all after warantty period. Horn stopped $140. Outside mirror Broke $450. Left rear window fell down for no reason $300. Head gasket blew.(very common on these cars) $1950. Complained to dealer and Mercedes and got nothing. Will never buy another.

I Expected More From Benz
By Don O. on 06/25/05 22:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Bought this '97 E320 used in early 2002. I now have 180,000 miles on it. Engine remains reliable, but that's about it. My entire instrument panel is not functioning (dealer replaced ignition switch, which did nothing!!). AC died 2 years ago (dealer replaced dash heating unit, which did nothing!!) Car is rusting badly.

Beware of Starmark
By yvonne963 on 12/01/04 21:27 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class with a Certified Pre-Owned Starmark warranty. After three weeks it would "miss" or hesitate at 45 - 55 MPH. My dealer said that the fuel return hoses clogged. They would not fix this problem under warranty and said it was not part of the Starmark pre-sale inspection. I had it fixed by my independent mechanic at cost of $800. the entire mainfold was fouled with carbon buildup at only 45,000 miles. My mechanic says that this is a common problem on this non-turbo engine. It's a poor design, in his words. The glow plugs were "frozen" in place by this carbon build up. I have corresponded with my selling dealer and Mercedes-Benz USA, both wished me a happy holidays. This is my sixth and last Benz.

First Benz and I love it.
By MARK98115 on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This is my first Mercedes and I could not be happier. This car actually makes me want to go and drive somewhere. It has the perfect balance of everything I want in a car - looks, performance, comfort and reliabiliy. I also find it very interesting that it has excellent visibility while driving at night. I assume that whatever the windshield is made of, it does a good job of filtering out the glare of oncoming traffic. Keeping in mind that this is a 4 door sedan, I five the car very high marks for the way it handles corners and country (twists and turns) driving, while the engine has plenty of power (and torgue) for passing, merging or just getting up to speed.

Great Vrooom
By R. Ravenstad on 09/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Great to drive on gentle country roads with the sunroof open and the Bose system jammin. Feels like a Benz is suppose to. It makes you feel like water on moderately crowded freeways.

Great vehicle
By RT17 on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I have had no major problems with it. It is continuously pleasing to drive and admire. It's hard to get sick of it. The features of this car are great. I personally think this is the greatest sedan made in its price range, a perfect balance of elegance, safety, luxury, reliability, and safety.

Still new.
By Richard Marino on 06/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car with 26,000 miles and have driven it for 3 1/2 years. It now has 84,000 miles and still runs, drives, and looks like a brand new car. It has been the most reliable car I have ever driven and I am amazed at how a V8 can have so much power on demand and yet still get great gas mileage around town.

I will buy another
By wideopenbite on 06/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

This is still perhaps the most eyecatching Mercedes model, along with the new SL. This car is smooth, quiet, reliable, and a real blast to drive on a long curvy country road. When the time comes, I will probably look to replace this car with a 2001 or 2002. The V-8 is definately the way to go.

Best used car I ever bought!
By Damsel on 05/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a big, safe alternative to my SUV and I'll never go back! There were over 100k miles when I bought it and it's never given me one minutes pause. I've only had to do routine maintenance and hope to drive for a few more years.

Fuel System Nightmare
By D &L on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

We love this car BUT, it has had serious fuel system problems. The fuel injector pump has been replaced at 50K and 90K miles. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere when it went out at 90K. A long walk with no cell service in the area.Thank God for the 100K extended warranty we bought or we would have been out over $3K each time. Our previous diesel a 1982 240D ran over 300K miles with no problems. We wanted one of the new CDI diesels but now we are not so sure.