1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
134k Miles and counting!
By chevegan on 03/04/11 17:10 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car in 1999 at the end of his friends lease for $36,500. The car has been nothing but a joy. It has every single option that the dealer + merc had to offer at the time. In all these years she's been so good to us. Now with the economy i sold off my cars and started driving the merc which was sitting for 2 years. Issues? No. Creaks? Squeeks? Rattles? NONONO. I love this car. yes 91 octane BUT i Average 22mpg in mostly L.A. traffic. Note one thing that all these e-classes seem to need a new steering pump ONLY since it starts to leak. Other than that not ONE crazy repair unlike the other guys rant. Can you say LEMON? or maybe he's hard on his cars what can i say.

1997 E420 is Junk
By AD on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and it is one of the worst cars I ever purchased. It gave me lot of grief and frankly I wouldn't have been as disappointed if it had the Chrysler logo instead. It's motor had to be changed twice, All window motors broke down, speed sensor gave up, AC didn't work. Shock absorbers crumbled into pieces, and more - all in first 5 years! Frankly, I and some of my friends gave up buying Merc in favor of BMW. The car has only 93K miles- but it is a hunk of junk and been a LEMON. I have a 10 inch thick file with notes and problems that Mercedes had to fix. Stay away from MERCEDES, if you want peace in your life!

Severely disappointed
By Carlos on 07/18/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from the original owner in 2002, with only 16,000 miles on it, and thought "what could go wrong with such low mileage". Plus my intention was to only drive this car to and from work, which averages about 8,000 miles/year. Well, first the electrical wires to the driver's side front headlights kept "coming lose", which cost $400.00 to fix. Then the A/C went out, along with oil leakage and transmission problems, which totaled to $5,000.00. I wish I have stayed with buying Toyota or Subaru, which are far more reliable.

E420 Review
By Gziut on 04/27/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used, with extra low milage, from an owner in Italy. Although I was never a MB nut, I can see why people love the brand. It is, for a 13 year old car, a step above most cars that are supposedly younger, better etc. and cost the same if not more. While reliability is an issue in the W210's, you can't expect a 13 year old car to be flawless or not experience any mechanical failures from wear and tear. From my research, the W210's are the last of the proper German engineered and assembled MB's (some say the W124's were the last such breed). If you are planning on buying a used W210, especially the E420, take it to an honest MB dealer and get it thoroughly checked. Then enjoy.

Perfect for the aspiring VP
By Alex on 08/25/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 222,000 miles on it from a family friend. In 7 days, the radiator blew, but for 3 years after, now with 244,000 miles, the car drives beautifully. Comfort, handling, horsepower, and after tinting the windows, style. I plan to drive this car until it breaks down completely, overall it is a true gentleman's ride.

nimble big car
By W T on 07/03/09 21:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

second MB 1st was a S.The E has much better handling,power.Super strong motor. JUST BOUGHT 2007 E 320. Feels slow heavy. Never had any problems other then false computer reads and expensive headlight replacements[xeon] Best car so far better then the 2007. never buy a V 6 again.

Dissapointed
By George on 12/29/08 17:17 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

I am very dissapointed with Mercedes and will no longer ever look to buy one in the future. I purchased my 1997 E420 from a reputable local dealer in 2005 with 54,000 original miles.My vehicle only has 66,000 miles to date and I have been forced to make costle repairs the last six months in excess of $4,000. As the vehicle is only worth $7,000 I feel I have been cheated by chosing such an unreliable hunk of junk. If you are looking for reliability and affordability, this is not the car for you! I have had to replace my lifters,a/c blower,seat motor,ignition, and lastly the radiator cracked. This car is easy to fall in love with its looks but has proven to be venomnous to my bank account!

Best Car Ever
By Cindy on 11/14/08 15:16 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

The best ride ever! I bought this car new and drove it for over 11 years. Well made and very low maintenance and great gas mileage for a V8. Unfortunately, I loaned it to a friend that wrecked it. I miss my wonderful car.

What a wonderful car - the E420
By dcweeks on 11/14/07 04:31 AM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

A lot of the reviews here seem to be based on whether you get a good one or bad one. But I think your odds of getting a "good one" are generally good. Perhaps the "bad one" people are more vocal. I didn't intend to buy a car to fall in love with when I happened to buy the E420, but wow, have I fallen head over heals. This is an amazing piece of engineering. I would say that the one I bought was in about the worst shape, but I still found the car amazing. I just put on new shocks, engine mounts, cats, and OMG this car is like brand new and better than I could have imagined. Just writing about it makes me want to go out for a drive.

Not bad for a 10 year old
By Michael on 10/19/07 20:22 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

Our car now has 74k on it, we purchased with 54k 2 years ago. It had some issues with some of the seals, but we've turned it into our family car and a daily driver. Heck, before we bought it the car averaged 5.4k a year. We replaced a 1996 Maxima (250k miles), with this car, and honestly the older Maxima had more advanced features. However, having said that you can't image the status upgrade this car will give you, if that's indeed important to you. But seriously, this was not our first European auto, but we were a bit suprised by the price of maintenance and the lack of performance upgrades on the market.