Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Wish it was a 4-matic
By Daryl

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Have a set of studded snow ready for the winter
Great milage 30 miles per gallon
Well built over all

230K, and wont stop!
By Adam Simmons

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a sensible break from my usual buying habit of things small, German, and fast. I bought it from a little old lady who's family were taking the keys from her hand. The price of the car was peanuts, but this in no way reflected on the quality of the car. It had been well taken care of. I'm amazed that a car with almost a quarter million miles on it can glide down the road, accelerating with ample power comparable to modern cars, while shifting almost undetectably. This is a magical car.

The styling in the modern eye is completely milktoast. Ive found that this is because the lines and cues of this car have been so heavily sampled by other makes, that it blends into the background. You look like everyone when everyone wants to look like you.

1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

easy to work on

Great Design
By pete51

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car.
I have given it to my daughter as a first car,
we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car.
Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

Solid build!

Stay loyal to the basics of solid design.

Get a good Pre-Purchase inspection
By pjo

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage for a car this large (an honest 28mpg plus on the road). Good power, quiet, Only had one problem so far; a stuck relay kept the smog pump on after I shut off the engine which burned up the pump. A $1000 repair that wasn't necessary. Bad design here--- Overall i you get a good one, I think its an excellent second choice for a family. Its a better used buy then a C class. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, though. Also, get a good, honest independent mechanic. These cars will send you to the poorhouse quick if you're not careful.

The ride is quite comfortable, classic look that doesn't look out of date.

Better quality control, I have small cracks in my dash and cracked interior trim. The transmission oil NEEDS to be changed every 100k; don't follow the OM on this or you will be sorry!