Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

last of a dying breed
By Adrian

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

First off this car is amazing, it's everything you could ever ask from a 90's luxury sports car. If reminds me of my 98 Infiniti q45t in the aspect that it's just designed so beautifully. The headrests are power for Christ sake. The seat is power in almost ten different ways. The quality of materials is A1 from the carpet to the leather. There's a power rear sun screen, what I like to call "secret storage compartments" in the coolest places. I mean I feel like james bond driving this thing. I bought this car from one of those "I hats this p.o.s." guys you'll read in a second for $100. Yes ladies and gents $100. I'm a mechanic so idk about the dealer prices but I paid $97 for a control arm that snapped in half somehow.. (We're not sure to this day how, probably why the dude was so pissed at it) and fixed a leaky steering rack for damn near nothing and the car runs like brand new. It's got 250,000 miles on it and I bet it would run the same numbers it did when it was new. It's really just a beautifully designed and engineered car. This was my first Mercedes and I gotta say, this thing is fn awesome. I wouldn't sell this thing for $10k right now and I paid a hundred bucks for it. Over all I give it the obvious A+

230K, and wont stop!
By Adam Simmons

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a sensible break from my usual buying habit of things small, German, and fast. I bought it from a little old lady who's family were taking the keys from her hand. The price of the car was peanuts, but this in no way reflected on the quality of the car. It had been well taken care of. I'm amazed that a car with almost a quarter million miles on it can glide down the road, accelerating with ample power comparable to modern cars, while shifting almost undetectably. This is a magical car.

The styling in the modern eye is completely milktoast. Ive found that this is because the lines and cues of this car have been so heavily sampled by other makes, that it blends into the background. You look like everyone when everyone wants to look like you.

Fantastic car
By luckysharkey

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E420 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car a week ago and I am very happy. Even with 275k miles on it, it still runs like new. 20 years later it still has more style then most cars going down the road. great gas millage as well, for a 90's car.

-good power -great interior - comfortable

new wheels

1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

easy to work on

Great Design
By pete51

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car.
I have given it to my daughter as a first car,
we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car.
Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

Solid build!

Stay loyal to the basics of solid design.