1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut on 09/03/13 17:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

Great Design
By pete51 on 05/06/12 15:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car. I have given it to my daughter as a first car, we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car. Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

Get a good Pre-Purchase inspection
By pjo on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage for a car this large (an honest 28mpg plus on the road). Good power, quiet, Only had one problem so far; a stuck relay kept the smog pump on after I shut off the engine which burned up the pump. A $1000 repair that wasn't necessary. Bad design here--- Overall i you get a good one, I think its an excellent second choice for a family. Its a better used buy then a C class. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, though. Also, get a good, honest independent mechanic. These cars will send you to the poorhouse quick if you're not careful.

Great Ride
By EJRooney3 on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I acquired this car about a year ago with 62K. I knew the previous owner and it's service history. Immediately had overdue maintenance performed by indy mechanic for about $700 (vs. dealer who wanted $1500). Have since put 12K on car with no new problems, and averaging over 25 mpg in mixed driving. The car is not without issues: LR window motor doesn't work, driver's mirror needs replacement. These are common problems with these cars. Essential to have service complete service history before purchasing one of these cars.

What's Wrong with the 97' Mercedes 320?
By gwendolyn Phillips on 01/14/10 17:31 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I enjoy my car on the highway but in the city, the gas mileage is terrible. The car is designed so that the heat only comes in from the sides and not from the front which makes it cold in the winter. The center dash contains the windows buttons and trunk buttons and will short out if you have spillage. The leather is not the best either. It is hard. In addition, the car is hard to drive since it is only power assisted. There is only a cassette in the car. The styling is beautiful. It looks very much like some of the newer cars. I purchased it used with 38 thousand miles.

97 e320 awsome car
By joey on 08/21/09 00:25 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This is a Nice car and fun to drive I have had it for 3 years and abuse it on cornering and accelerating. Engine and suspension have not failed! Of course their are some repairs, water pump fuel pump and minor things that might be expensive.. But this is not a car for the poor. I love this car and I installed a turbo and engine has not failed at 190,000 miles... Its not what the car is worth if you love the car their is no price.

One of the Best Cars Ever Owned!
By Artmeus on 06/09/09 10:32 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I have owned vehicles from Lexus to Cadillac. My Lexus LS400 I put over 30,000 Mi on it with nothing but problems. The Caddy Proved to be a money pit also. So Far I have now owned 3 Mercedes Benz. I had 2 Class 2002 models (leases) for 3 years and had zero problems. I decided several years ago to pay cash for a 1997 e320 sedan 6 cylinder model. I have put over 120,000 mi on this beast and the only problem was to replace the heater sensor 15 bucks. With normal maintenance changing the oil every 3000 mi, It has been a solid car " A Tank." This has to be the most durable and most dependable car ever owned! Annual Maintenance costs are lower than both Lexus Autos I owned. Highly Recommended!

STAY AWAY
By Juan on 05/07/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Purchased in March of 2006 w/98,000 miles on it. Now I have 190,000 on it. Only got stranded once out of town. You better have some deep pockets for this bad boy. 1,000 on suspension just for the front driver side and the passenger is going any minute, leaked oil rapidly since day one, put oil in like buying gas! Lights always need replaced at 20-30$ a pop. Need radiator 700, need tie-rods 7 once the body starts to rust goodbye! Got my money worth by using it for work, if not for that would be angry. Plus this model looks so outdated since new models have came out... Got me a 2003 BMW 530i and it runs circles around this car in every category. Go BMW, if you got this car sell it now! Today!

My experience w/ E320
By Stewmeistr on 03/16/09 13:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I find that finding someone who won't take advantage of you while fixing these cars is a very rare find. My suggestion is to get a code reader and diagnose problems yourself. Goto an online store like Az autohaus to buy parts or ebay and get parts to put on yourself. Most aren't tough, but will save you alot of money. Known problems are air mass sensors($), the ac fan relay. Ours has been relatively inexpensive to own, but I can see how you could get taken with one of these cars. The dealerships will charge big $ for simple problems. Good luck, these cars still drive better than new cars. Made with quality, but some bad parts spoil the bunch. Great mileage though and smooth power.

My last Mercedes
By Aphra on 01/11/09 16:21 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This is my third and last Mercedes. Since buying it in 2003 I have replaced the transmission, radiator, electrical system, plus 3-sets of tires, 4 sets of brakes. In 2008, I spent $4700 on car repairs alone! I wish I had sold this car years ago! My other two cars were trouble free but they were diesels. It's a pretty car from the exterior but the interior has not worn well