Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Total Junk!
By Total Junk

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

This car was a total hunk of junk from the first day we drove it. The check engine light came on on the drive home on the day of purchase. It was never fixed, but to make the car even worse the radiator had to be replaced before the car could be sold. So, $3200 later we finally just got rid of the car to cut our losses while we still could. Run! Don't walk away from this car!

None!

Figure out how to get the car to run like advertised.

This is my third MB
By David Croft

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

This is my third MB, and my second diesel, and I have enjoyed every one. Even though the 97 Diesel in a non turbo it has plenty of go. My fuel mileage averages upper 20's around town to low thirties on the highway. I bought the car with 106K on the odo and after two years and at 135K on the odo the only major maintenance required has been changing the glow plugs, which requires pulling the intake manifold. The car is a joy to drive, and I constantly get compliments on its looks. I guess I am just fortunate because I have not experienced the problems with any of my MBs that so many others in this forum seem to have. I hope to always be fortunate enough to own an MB.

The ride, the build quality, the looks. I get excited everytime i drive this car.

Ok, I admit that those who are complaining about the cup holders may have a legitimate gripe. But everyone who gets in my car and uses it thinks the way it opens is the neatest thing. And I haven't had any problems with it.

Beware of Starmark
By yvonne963

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

Bought my 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class with a Certified Pre-Owned Starmark warranty. After three weeks it would "miss" or hesitate at 45 - 55 MPH. My dealer said that the fuel return hoses clogged. They would not fix this problem under warranty and said it was not part of the Starmark pre-sale inspection. I had it fixed by my independent mechanic at cost of $800. the entire mainfold was fouled with carbon buildup at only 45,000 miles. My mechanic says that this is a common problem on this non-turbo engine. It's a poor design, in his words. The glow plugs were "frozen" in place by this carbon build up. I have corresponded with my selling dealer and Mercedes-Benz USA, both wished me a happy holidays. This is my sixth and last Benz.

Fuel economy

Too many quality issue to list.

Fuel System Nightmare
By D &L

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

We love this car BUT, it has had serious fuel system problems. The fuel injector pump has been replaced at 50K and 90K miles. We were stranded in the middle of nowhere when it went out at 90K. A long walk with no cell service in the area.Thank God for the 100K extended warranty we bought or we would have been out over $3K each time. Our previous diesel a 1982 240D ran over 300K miles with no problems. We wanted one of the new CDI diesels but now we are not so sure.