Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

easy to work on

Great Design
By pete51

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car. I have given it to my daughter as a first car, we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car. Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

Solid build!

Stay loyal to the basics of solid design.

Get a good Pre-Purchase inspection
By pjo

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage for a car this large (an honest 28mpg plus on the road). Good power, quiet, Only had one problem so far; a stuck relay kept the smog pump on after I shut off the engine which burned up the pump. A $1000 repair that wasn't necessary. Bad design here--- Overall i you get a good one, I think its an excellent second choice for a family. Its a better used buy then a C class. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, though. Also, get a good, honest independent mechanic. These cars will send you to the poorhouse quick if you're not careful.

The ride is quite comfortable, classic look that doesn't look out of date.

Better quality control, I have small cracks in my dash and cracked interior trim. The transmission oil NEEDS to be changed every 100k; don't follow the OM on this or you will be sorry!

Great Ride
By EJRooney3

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I acquired this car about a year ago with 62K. I knew the previous owner and it's service history. Immediately had overdue maintenance performed by indy mechanic for about $700 (vs. dealer who wanted $1500). Have since put 12K on car with no new problems, and averaging over 25 mpg in mixed driving. The car is not without issues: LR window motor doesn't work, driver's mirror needs replacement. These are common problems with these cars. Essential to have service complete service history before purchasing one of these cars.

Great ride, extremely quiet at speed, fabulous paint finish (even after 14 years!) Nobody believes I'm driving a 14 year old car.

Improve quality of ancillary features/electronics. Very expensive car to maintain, let alone repair.

What's Wrong with the 97' Mercedes 320?
By gwendolyn Phillips

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I enjoy my car on the highway but in the city, the gas mileage is terrible. The car is designed so that the heat only comes in from the sides and not from the front which makes it cold in the winter. The center dash contains the windows buttons and trunk buttons and will short out if you have spillage. The leather is not the best either. It is hard. In addition, the car is hard to drive since it is only power assisted. There is only a cassette in the car. The styling is beautiful. It looks very much like some of the newer cars. I purchased it used with 38 thousand miles.

I like the styling.

Move the car components from the center for operation.