Used 1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Fantastic car
By luckysharkey

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

Just bought the car a week ago and I am very happy. Even with 275k miles on it, it still runs like new. 20 years later it still has more style then most cars going down the road. great gas millage as well, for a 90's car.

Favorite Features

-good power -great interior - comfortable

Suggested Improvements

new wheels

1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

Favorite Features

easy to work on

Great Design
By pete51

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car. I have given it to my daughter as a first car, we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car. Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

Favorite Features

Solid build!

Suggested Improvements

Stay loyal to the basics of solid design.

134k Miles and counting!
By chevegan

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car in 1999 at the end of his friends lease for $36,500. The car has been nothing but a joy. It has every single option that the dealer + merc had to offer at the time. In all these years she's been so good to us. Now with the economy i sold off my cars and started driving the merc which was sitting for 2 years. Issues? No. Creaks? Squeeks? Rattles? NONONO. I love this car. yes 91 octane BUT i Average 22mpg in mostly L.A. traffic. Note one thing that all these e-classes seem to need a new steering pump ONLY since it starts to leak. Other than that not ONE crazy repair unlike the other guys rant. Can you say LEMON? or maybe he's hard on his cars what can i say.

Favorite Features

The zillion way adjustable seats with air control. Bose stereo still sounds great. Steering feel (mushy yes but so easy to drive) great. Suspension, so comfortable. Huge trunk. 28mpg on hwy yes you read that right. Plenty of power

1997 E420 is Junk
By AD

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and it is one of the worst cars I ever purchased. It gave me lot of grief and frankly I wouldn't have been as disappointed if it had the Chrysler logo instead. It's motor had to be changed twice, All window motors broke down, speed sensor gave up, AC didn't work. Shock absorbers crumbled into pieces, and more - all in first 5 years! Frankly, I and some of my friends gave up buying Merc in favor of BMW. The car has only 93K miles- but it is a hunk of junk and been a LEMON. I have a 10 inch thick file with notes and problems that Mercedes had to fix. Stay away from MERCEDES, if you want peace in your life!