1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
1997 mercedees E320
By samcarnut on 09/03/13 17:37 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I was nervous purchasing my Mercedes at first because of idiot who don't really know what they are talking about I bought this car with 220k on it and it had a few issues when I bought it but it was such a great deal I bought it knowing it would be needing some repair as with any used vehicle with this many miles so I went in expecting to find the parts would be very expensive to my surprise not any more expensive than any domestic car out there I love this car it is easy to service and drives like a dream and is great on gas as well 30 mpg

Great Design
By pete51 on 05/06/12 15:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car as a certified pre-owned 12years ago, it was my first Mercedes. Until you have owned one for a period of time, you can not appreciate the brand and what Mercedes about. Over the years, we have made some costly repairs rear seal replacement and transmission replacement, but the car now has 257K on it and when compared to newer cars, I will still take my chances with this car. I have given it to my daughter as a first car, we considered a trade for new more up to date car, only problem we could not find a better safe first time car. Find a knowledgable Mercedes mechanic and enjoy a great car.

134k Miles and counting!
By chevegan on 03/04/11 17:10 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

My father purchased this car in 1999 at the end of his friends lease for $36,500. The car has been nothing but a joy. It has every single option that the dealer + merc had to offer at the time. In all these years she's been so good to us. Now with the economy i sold off my cars and started driving the merc which was sitting for 2 years. Issues? No. Creaks? Squeeks? Rattles? NONONO. I love this car. yes 91 octane BUT i Average 22mpg in mostly L.A. traffic. Note one thing that all these e-classes seem to need a new steering pump ONLY since it starts to leak. Other than that not ONE crazy repair unlike the other guys rant. Can you say LEMON? or maybe he's hard on his cars what can i say.

1997 E420 is Junk
By AD on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 1997 and it is one of the worst cars I ever purchased. It gave me lot of grief and frankly I wouldn't have been as disappointed if it had the Chrysler logo instead. It's motor had to be changed twice, All window motors broke down, speed sensor gave up, AC didn't work. Shock absorbers crumbled into pieces, and more - all in first 5 years! Frankly, I and some of my friends gave up buying Merc in favor of BMW. The car has only 93K miles- but it is a hunk of junk and been a LEMON. I have a 10 inch thick file with notes and problems that Mercedes had to fix. Stay away from MERCEDES, if you want peace in your life!

Get a good Pre-Purchase inspection
By pjo on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Excellent gas mileage for a car this large (an honest 28mpg plus on the road). Good power, quiet, Only had one problem so far; a stuck relay kept the smog pump on after I shut off the engine which burned up the pump. A $1000 repair that wasn't necessary. Bad design here--- Overall i you get a good one, I think its an excellent second choice for a family. Its a better used buy then a C class. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver, though. Also, get a good, honest independent mechanic. These cars will send you to the poorhouse quick if you're not careful.

Great Ride
By EJRooney3 on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I acquired this car about a year ago with 62K. I knew the previous owner and it's service history. Immediately had overdue maintenance performed by indy mechanic for about $700 (vs. dealer who wanted $1500). Have since put 12K on car with no new problems, and averaging over 25 mpg in mixed driving. The car is not without issues: LR window motor doesn't work, driver's mirror needs replacement. These are common problems with these cars. Essential to have service complete service history before purchasing one of these cars.

Severely disappointed
By Carlos on 07/18/10 11:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used from the original owner in 2002, with only 16,000 miles on it, and thought "what could go wrong with such low mileage". Plus my intention was to only drive this car to and from work, which averages about 8,000 miles/year. Well, first the electrical wires to the driver's side front headlights kept "coming lose", which cost $400.00 to fix. Then the A/C went out, along with oil leakage and transmission problems, which totaled to $5,000.00. I wish I have stayed with buying Toyota or Subaru, which are far more reliable.

E420 Review
By Gziut on 04/27/10 12:40 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used, with extra low milage, from an owner in Italy. Although I was never a MB nut, I can see why people love the brand. It is, for a 13 year old car, a step above most cars that are supposedly younger, better etc. and cost the same if not more. While reliability is an issue in the W210's, you can't expect a 13 year old car to be flawless or not experience any mechanical failures from wear and tear. From my research, the W210's are the last of the proper German engineered and assembled MB's (some say the W124's were the last such breed). If you are planning on buying a used W210, especially the E420, take it to an honest MB dealer and get it thoroughly checked. Then enjoy.

What's Wrong with the 97' Mercedes 320?
By gwendolyn Phillips on 01/14/10 17:31 PM (PST)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I enjoy my car on the highway but in the city, the gas mileage is terrible. The car is designed so that the heat only comes in from the sides and not from the front which makes it cold in the winter. The center dash contains the windows buttons and trunk buttons and will short out if you have spillage. The leather is not the best either. It is hard. In addition, the car is hard to drive since it is only power assisted. There is only a cassette in the car. The styling is beautiful. It looks very much like some of the newer cars. I purchased it used with 38 thousand miles.

Perfect for the aspiring VP
By Alex on 08/25/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E420 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 222,000 miles on it from a family friend. In 7 days, the radiator blew, but for 3 years after, now with 244,000 miles, the car drives beautifully. Comfort, handling, horsepower, and after tinting the windows, style. I plan to drive this car until it breaks down completely, overall it is a true gentleman's ride.