Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

E300D 3.0L 6-cyl. Diesel 4-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Kevin

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300D 4dr Sedan

Bought for $22K. Wiring Harness is the only major issue ever ($1,700 to fix). This car regularly travels 800 mi RT to Gulf Shores, 300 mi RT to Spartanburg...and she just is great on the highway. Avg fuel is 28 in the city and 34 on the highway. I've put 120K miles on this car and she now has 223K total miles. Even my mechanic thinks this is an awesome car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Comfort Sound system

Suggested Improvements

Make something today that is as dependable and durable as this product.

wish I had read here
By Dr John

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300D 4dr Sedan

This Mercedes has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The electronic engine control hooks to an antitheft interlock which fails randomly. The dealership is happy to take my money but unable to solve the problem. Hence I can be anywhere and try to start the car and have it disable the vehicle, leaving me stranded. The Mercedes club people know of this problem and tell me that Mercedes made a replacement computer that disables the lock out, but will not sell it to me. The us Mercedes people were uncooperative. Since I bought the vehicle used, they state that someone could have changed my computer before I bought it. Yeah, sure.

Favorite Features

rides well when it runs, but terrible on ice and snow, not a car for midwest winters

Suggested Improvements

remove the antitheft interlock, put in a pressure relief valve for the radiator, the plastic cap failed on mine and destroyed the radiator

Good reliability
By highlander

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300D 4dr Sedan

I drive some 6000 miles every year on the snow and ice in the mountains and the electronics takes care of the occasional error. This car has has minor corrosion problems all corrected under guarantee at no cost to myself.

Favorite Features

It works

Suggested Improvements

It needs better corrosion protection

mercedes reliabilty
By richard snyder

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300D 4dr Sedan

when we purchased this vehicle in nov of '96 we were so happy. then we found out it had a german smaller gas tank. the dealership replaced it tthe proper size tank. then we started to have a series of reliabilty problems, such as the following: glow plugs not working (8 times),care stalling while in motion (10 times), 3 blower motors, 2 control modules replaced, order pump for ww wipers.if you wish i can you copies of the work orders. It just to much effort to wrie here. MB did extend the warranty to 75,000 miles and the were good in providing a loaner car with no cost to me. The problems have with this car up to this writing. richard snyder

What a workhorse
By cabernt13

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Diesel E300D 4dr Sedan

With gas prices going up, it's nice to be getting 35 mpg with less expensive fuel. It's safe, nice to look at, and very economical.

Favorite Features

Classic looks

Suggested Improvements

This model didn't offer a turbo. Would be nice for accelerations.