1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:
Easy to repair.. and you better be good at it.
By spammeplez on 01/28/13 13:00 PM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Trans went out at 150000 miles. Electrical problems and an emission gremlin that has never gone away. At 200000+ miles. Oil seep that I've just lived with for 6+ years of ownership. Annoying but easy to deal with. Squeaky belt but since none of the components running off the belt has ever been replaced.. guess its not that big of a deal. Fuel pump went out but easy to repair plus it was the original. Again not a big deal.. Lots of little things but parts are easy to find, just as cheap/expensive as any car. But easier to repair than any Japanese car I've ever owned. Just need to figure out the little tricks the engineers designed to make repairs easy. This car will go 300K miles.

Very reliable! 24.5MPG @ 245K Miles
By Chriss on 01/29/10 23:58 PM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I've had no mayor problems with the car, the biggest job was a transmission service @ 177,000 miles. The car has around 245,000 miles and it runs like new. It smogs fine and it does about 24 MPG. I dive it every day and about once a month i drive to LA from northern californa (about 300 miles) and it feels great. It has some minor issues like a stereo volume knob that is worn due to normal use and like any W210 the original head gasket leaks around the front of the engine (cyl 1) which didn't cause any problems other than the leak itself which if you had warranty it's fine if not its around 150usd for the gasket set.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Kevin on 08/21/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

Bought for $22K. Wiring Harness is the only major issue ever ($1,700 to fix). This car regularly travels 800 mi RT to Gulf Shores, 300 mi RT to Spartanburg...and she just is great on the highway. Avg fuel is 28 in the city and 34 on the highway. I've put 120K miles on this car and she now has 223K total miles. Even my mechanic thinks this is an awesome car.

wish I had read here
By Dr John on 04/18/09 09:26 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

This Mercedes has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The electronic engine control hooks to an antitheft interlock which fails randomly. The dealership is happy to take my money but unable to solve the problem. Hence I can be anywhere and try to start the car and have it disable the vehicle, leaving me stranded. The Mercedes club people know of this problem and tell me that Mercedes made a replacement computer that disables the lock out, but will not sell it to me. The us Mercedes people were uncooperative. Since I bought the vehicle used, they state that someone could have changed my computer before I bought it. Yeah, sure.

Excellent Automobile
By roderickmallen on 06/17/08 17:24 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I just purchased the car recently but love it. I have heard about the quality & performance of the Mercedes-Benz brand but am thrilled to finally experience it first-hand. The car performs flawlesly and the comfort if among the best.

Christmas tree
By Not worth it on 09/30/06 18:03 PM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This car has so many problems it's hard to tell where to start. The common thread is the constant check engine message. So many pretty lights come on it's like a Christmas tree lighting up. Performance and mileage are a disappointment. Ride comfort is not at all what I would expect. My wife refuses to drive it, preferring a Saturn with over 200K.

Good reliability
By highlander on 08/07/06 06:57 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

I drive some 6000 miles every year on the snow and ice in the mountains and the electronics takes care of the occasional error. This car has has minor corrosion problems all corrected under guarantee at no cost to myself.

My first MB and most likely the last!
By Zenboy on 04/22/06 09:27 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This car was my first MB and due to the problems and quality most likely my last. At 100K the engine (in-line 6) began leaking oil at the head. I have also had electrical problems with the dash and rear tail-lights. I could live with these issues but the other day while driving down the road my front left spring fell out! The spring pearch had rusted off. If I was going faster someone could have been killed as my spring went bouncing down the road!

BENZIE 210
By dalworth55cars on 02/26/06 21:24 PM (PST)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I really enjoy this superb and silky smooth car. All aspects of the car has been positive. The car handles nicely and feels quite substancial. My only complaints are typical to many other Benz's of similar years both earlier and later. This car turns heads and is deserving of all the attention that it recieves. Mercedes really stepped up the look on the car. To date this is the best looking E-Class. The 2003 chassis doesn't look as beefy, beefy looks good for a mans car. The 1996 is a heavy and stiff car. This tank is built for the road and it superbly holds the road in all weather conditions. This is close to car heaven. That is so far.

Electronic Nightmare
By MrBill on 08/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

This car looks and feels great. It's eye catching, and sturdy. The V6 can hold it's own but the maintenance especially the electrical problems are killing A dashboard light comes on every month. Notorious problems include faulty EGR valves, sensors, bulbs and a shoddy Bose stero system. I've owned the car for 8 months and have spent about 2k in minor repairs.