Used 1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Easy to repair.. and you better be good at it.
By spammeplez

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

Trans went out at 150000 miles. Electrical problems and an emission gremlin that has never gone away. At 200000+ miles. Oil seep that I've just lived with for 6+ years of ownership. Annoying but easy to deal with. Squeaky belt but since none of the components running off the belt has ever been replaced.. guess its not that big of a deal. Fuel pump went out but easy to repair plus it was the original. Again not a big deal.. Lots of little things but parts are easy to find, just as cheap/expensive as any car. But easier to repair than any Japanese car I've ever owned. Just need to figure out the little tricks the engineers designed to make repairs easy. This car will go 300K miles.

Favorite Features

Comfort, timeless style, feels safe and has great pickup. Long road trips are where it shines. It's been cross country several times. Very little fatigue after a long trip.

Suggested Improvements

Need a DIY repair manual describing all the clever tricks and tips. Example, to remove the sidemarker lamps, poke a finger into a hole in the wheel well. Pops right off.

Very reliable! 24.5MPG @ 245K Miles
By Chriss

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I've had no mayor problems with the car, the biggest job was a transmission service @ 177,000 miles. The car has around 245,000 miles and it runs like new. It smogs fine and it does about 24 MPG. I dive it every day and about once a month i drive to LA from northern californa (about 300 miles) and it feels great. It has some minor issues like a stereo volume knob that is worn due to normal use and like any W210 the original head gasket leaks around the front of the engine (cyl 1) which didn't cause any problems other than the leak itself which if you had warranty it's fine if not its around 150usd for the gasket set.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort, quiet inside, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer inside instead of in the trunk!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Kevin

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

Bought for $22K. Wiring Harness is the only major issue ever ($1,700 to fix). This car regularly travels 800 mi RT to Gulf Shores, 300 mi RT to Spartanburg...and she just is great on the highway. Avg fuel is 28 in the city and 34 on the highway. I've put 120K miles on this car and she now has 223K total miles. Even my mechanic thinks this is an awesome car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy Comfort Sound system

Suggested Improvements

Make something today that is as dependable and durable as this product.

wish I had read here
By Dr John

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E300D 4dr Sedan

This Mercedes has been the least reliable vehicle I have ever owned. The electronic engine control hooks to an antitheft interlock which fails randomly. The dealership is happy to take my money but unable to solve the problem. Hence I can be anywhere and try to start the car and have it disable the vehicle, leaving me stranded. The Mercedes club people know of this problem and tell me that Mercedes made a replacement computer that disables the lock out, but will not sell it to me. The us Mercedes people were uncooperative. Since I bought the vehicle used, they state that someone could have changed my computer before I bought it. Yeah, sure.

Favorite Features

rides well when it runs, but terrible on ice and snow, not a car for midwest winters

Suggested Improvements

remove the antitheft interlock, put in a pressure relief valve for the radiator, the plastic cap failed on mine and destroyed the radiator

Excellent Automobile
By roderickmallen

1996 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Sedan

I just purchased the car recently but love it. I have heard about the quality & performance of the Mercedes-Benz brand but am thrilled to finally experience it first-hand. The car performs flawlesly and the comfort if among the best.

Favorite Features

I particulary like being able to raise and lower the windows with the key or remote. I love the acceleration also.

Suggested Improvements

The paint is beginning to show slight signs of oxidation. I would like to see better paint in the future cars.