Used 1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific E-Class model:

Trading Up
By observer1992

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

I recently bought a 1995 E320, I was just looking around because my 1995 Saturn SL1 was starting to have some reliability issues and had just reached 210,000 miles. I was looking at Ford Focus, but the Mercedes E320 caught my eye and after the first minute of the test drive I knew I had found a solid car. My E320 has 155,000 miles on it and I had a mechanic check it out and it was given a clean bill of health. I would recommend one of these cars to anyone who is willing to give a 16 year old car a try.

Choose wisely, and you'll be rewarded.
By pentaconsix

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

With the youngest W124 now at 15 years old, you'll have to be picky and discerning when buying on. I found a 95 with only 78,000 miles on the odo. The car has been a joy to drive & own. Try to find one where the previous owner has already done the major repairs: trans rebuild, head gasket replacement, wiring harness replacement. Mine had all those items already done. The looks of the W124 has aged very well, looking neither vintage or new though. The engine performance is still good by today's standard, but not as peppy as cars all seem to accelerate with more pep. My E320 has been reliable and starts up with just one turn of the key every time.

INTERIOR: The interior is well thought out and beautiful. It has just enough flair while simultaneously being utilitarian. The ride quality of this car is very smooth RIDE QUALITY: the suspension is very smooth without being like an old Cadillac. Steering is precise.

No sup much improvements, but quirks for potential buyers to be aware of. The door lock and ignition locks do break. It's best to replace the locks at the first sign of stickiness as you turn the key. Only 15 min repair if caught on time. Other wise, headache once the lock breaks, will take hours.

Full of problems
By PNW

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

My experience was not good at all, I paid more in repairs in one year than the car was worth. I bought it with 113k miles and within one year I had to replace the transmission, head gasket, neutral safety switch, ignition tumbler, blower motor regulator, combination relay. I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting. Of course, the previous owners might have played a big part in these issues, but after reading the online forums apparently most have these issues. According to my mechanic the wiring harness also crumbles but I never waited for that and sold it to buy a Honda.

Beautiful exterior styling

Leaky gaskets, poor gas mileage, outdated dash for a 95 vehicle, zero cup holders, very minimal storage inside because of it has no glove box, expensive parts for a car that tends to break too often.

Class for the Cash!
By Carlton B. Russell

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

This car is my first real luxury car, and I can honestly say you get what you pay for. The car is now 15 years old and I love driving it more and more each day. It is a classy, well built, dependable vehicle. Have put maybe $700 worth or repairs into it in a year for front struts and tension pulley, that's it. Oil changes are a little more pricey, but only need to be done every 7500 miles. Have learned to do a lot of minor repairs myself with the help of manuals and internet. Trust me if you ever ride in one you will see why I am so in love with my baby. Rode in a 2003 Benz and my car's ride is definitely smoother.

Classy interior and exterior. Well built car, that will treat you good if you treat it good.

Cup holders would have been nice, along with a real glove compartment, which were both added in later models.

great engine horrid HVAC
By radicalpumpboy

1995 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Sedan E320 4dr Sedan

The twin-cam straight six has always been a great engine, and the variable cam version has to rate as one of MB's best engines. It pulls like a V8 and roars when told to do so. The engine is also bullet proof, as is the transmission, brakes, and suspension. All work like new after 112k miles. BUT, the car is best suited to milder climates -- like San Fran -- because the HVAC is total crap. I've lost heat in the winter and seldom had cold air in the summer, despite spending lots and lots of money on constant repairs. The locks are also a weak spot.

As mentions: superb engine. Good ergodynamics. Classic styling.

Electrical and HVAC reliability should be up to Kia standard rather than at par with Yugo.