Used 1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mercedes-benz E-class - Consumer Reviews

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon

E320 3.2L 6-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (5 reviews )

Great car - when it isn't broken
By E320wagon

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

Having bought two other used Mercedes cars and loving them both, we bought this wagon in June '03 to replace a very worn-out and rusted Camry wagon. This Benz is now 10 years old but doesn't look it -- both the interior and exterior have held up very well. Typical thoughtful Mercedes engineering throughout makes this car an excellent choice for daily hauling/commuting, and the fuel economy is acceptable. Only problem is, this particular wagon has been going to the mechanic on a monthly basis -- something is always breaking.

Favorite Features

Tight turning radius, easy fold-down seats, just-right suspension (not too firm, not too soft), plenty of cargo space, sharp handling, better-than- expected acceleration and handling, ageless good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Car keeps breaking; in between mechanic visits, though, this car is the perfect station wagon.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.
By Chris

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

I absolutely love this car. It's a tank, it seats seven, and gets respectable mileage for such a huge vehicle. I averaged 22-25 mpg. I put it through hell, a Fargo Winter, two Kansas City summers, and many miles of highway driving. Ulrich von Nerdwagen is on life support; a bead clutch in the transmission is toast and reverse is nearly shot. Couple that with either a headgasket or a broken water pump, and I would have to put more than the car is worth into it to keep it running. If they break.. man does it stink. I adore this vehicle, and would stick to W124 chassis exclusively if I had more money to deal with my terrible luck. I'd recommend to anyone. I like having no cupholders...

Favorite Features

88 cubic feet of cargo space, thoughtful folding process of seats (theyre ALL FLAT) Silky smooth M104, substantial buttons and switches, and most importantly, the ride. There is no car in the world that acts as composed as a Mercedes-Benz at ninety miles per hour. I'll be sad to see mine go.

Suggested Improvements

Yet again, the MB sales people thought american consumers didnt deserve the far better european climate control system with more than two settings. Also, the wiper has only three settings. The wheel bolts caused many grumbles. I like to slide wheels ONTO studs, not goof around for several minutes.

Dependable discrete quality
By lyntong

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

I Starmark leased this 94 wagon and have been very pleased with this exceptionally reliable, well-built and elegant auto. The motor is strong and quiet, the ride smooth except on broken surfaces and the practicality and size of design is just right for us. As the lease nears its end, I am having trouble finding a vehicle I like better at any price.

Favorite Features

Best features include high build quality, long term reliability, smooth highway performance and a more subjective quality of both practicality and quiet prestige. The tight turning circle is more useful than you might imagine and around town, it is just right.

Suggested Improvements

Shortcomings: No "sporting" character, poor wet/snow traction, small outside mirrors, pokey indecisive transmission changes and vague numb steering. The AC is not even throughout the cabin and the standard radio is mediocre. No cupholders. Watch out for bad motor mounts.

11 Years and still like new
By Alan

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

We have run through six other cars in the time we have owned this car. We took it to Tiawan with us when we lived there. Bullet Proof is all you need to say. Exterior still is fabulous with no rust and shines, the interior leather is tight and the seats seem to be in the same shape they were when new. We change the oil every 5k or so, have replaced muffler, and done brakes. several times. This car has never stranded us. My neighbor with a five year old 300 series car seems older and not as good quality. Our car is definitly better built. I wish they would start building them like this again. Everything works still.

Favorite Features

All the tactile things like the seats, steering wheel placement, doors controls, seem so well thought out and then executed. Drives very solid, confidently on the highway, great visability which I can't say about our new Toyoata Sienna van.

Suggested Improvements

The small outside mirrors, and no cup holders although the center console does double duty. Compared to the Sienna Van folding the rear seats down are a pain, but that's not much of a complaint.

Better Than New
By BenzGirl

1994 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Wagon E320 4dr Wagon

I bought this wagon for the room and MB solid reputation. My husband (2001 Audi driver) is amazed at how well my wagon handles. The engine is smooth and it drives like a new car. Leather seats, carpet and paint job look like new (and I have children who eat in the car). While I have had some annoying repairs (A/C evaporator, engine wiring harness) it still amazes me that the "gadgets" still work (auto seats, windows, locks, lights) after 9 years on the road. Plus, no squeaks or rattles. Find an MB 'enthusiast' mechanic-often know more and are less expensive than a dealer. Would keep it over a new MB-and will pass down when my son turns 16.

Favorite Features

Great visibility, handling, built like a tank, lots of room, holds up to wear and tear. Love the (easy) fold down seats for cargo and third seat when carpooling.

Suggested Improvements

MB needs to go back to making this quality-Reminds me of my mother's old 300 TD-ran forever. Could use better distribution of A/C, needs cupholders. Window controls in middle- counterintuitive. Passenger glovebox.