Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLS-Class model:

CLS 500 w/AMG Sport Pack
By William

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've been a Mercedes fan for years and have owned several of them. The CLS is the best one yet. Though E-based, it's a very different vehicle. It rides better, handles tighter, and is just simply heads above the E. Even the interior is an improvement. I traded in a new 2005 E320 for the CLS500 and do not miss the E at all. The other Mercedes sedans now look dowdy next to this one. I'm 6'4" and had heard the CLS lacked interior space. Up front, there's no problem for me. I can't sit in back of most vehicles and the CLS is no exception. The only problem I had was locating one with the color and equipment I wanted because there still aren't that many around.

The looks! This is not your Dad's Mercedes. Though E-based, it appears much larger due to the shape and stance. The keyless go, heated/cooled seats, etc... are of typical Mercedes high quality. If I sound biased - I am. I am seriously impressed by this car.

I'm at a loss here to find fault. I've owned several luxury cars - a handful of them Mercedes - and there's no comparison. This car has it all - looks, performance, quality, and luxury. I'm driving it to work everday and letting my other cars sit because this one is just so enjoyable to drive.

CLS55 AMG
By CLS55 AMG

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Mercedes hit a bulls eye with this car. It is a user-friendly "bad boy" It's fun to drive an never lets you forget that you are in an amazing blend of raw power and forgiving, state of the art engineering.

Power and Performance ... almost forgot to mention that it is one of the most beauriful cars on the read today.

Learn from the Japanese! Dont deliver a six figure car with nickel and dime up-charges for luxury items that should be a logical default. For example mine was delivered with a 1-cd stereo ... Dealer says that it cant be changed. Command controls are clusy and the NAV system is wiimpy at best

Good but could be better
By BoBoBo360

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is a very nice car. Did a very nice job in the interior with the leather stitching and beautiful wood. The seven speed transmission is good for fuel economy and its smooth. Big fat tires even without the sports package. Has ADSII a much better version of the semi air suspension compare to ADS.

Good features are active cornering lights if you get the bi-xenon package. Very nice leather seats not too still not to soft just perfect. Wood trim is extensive

Bigger engine, hopefully the S550 engine will carry over later. The side mirrors can be alittle more helpful when parking next to a curb. Maybe a panorama roof option??

Best of the Best
By MarkB

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This is the best car ever sold to the masses. The exterior styling is what an auto should be. It is not like those cookie cutter automobiles that we see on the road. The handling is superb and the aceleration is outstanding. The dynamic seats makes driving long distances more comfortable. This is the type of car Detroit should try to make.

The styling, seats and the engine

Time will make minor changes to the technology.

Can I be Dreaming ?
By jjm

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I've had my CLS-55 for three months now. Prior to it I drove an E-55 for five years. The new supercharged CLS- 55 engine with tighter suspension is a superior ride to the E-55. The Harmon Kardon stereo system is OK, but not the best. The manual shift mechanism on the steering column makes city driving a blast again. I must say that everytime I get in this car, it puts me in another world allowing me to temporarily believe that its also Camelot on the outside. The combination of horsepower/torque on this car is what makes it so fun to be in. When I first got it, I was constantly going for the brakes because I was approaching the vehicle in front quicker than anticipated. C'est la vie !!

Manual shifting on the steering column. Stealth look (I've taken off all the outside markings). Sheer speed at acceleration.

Car navigation system is inferior to high end Japanese cars. Other than that, this car is as perfect as they come.