Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLS-Class model:

This is it
By SUSAN KNOWS

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I am a car person. That is what I do for a living, that is what I wake up in the morning for, to deal with vehicles. This car was well researched before the purchase. and yes there is no absolute when purchasing such a type of vehicle. They will have weak points and strengths. This vehicle has very few weak ones. It is simply fabulous. I am proud to own one. I am not new to the Mercedes scene and I know they are built to last but It is nice when they look good and have the functionality in one package. Whenever I get in the car which is a kidless car by the way, I turn into another mode. I block out all other things and set myself free. be careful you will be tested, be strong!

Body style-sleek and tight not too big not too little. I am short and the car meets every need-Love the smart garage programming-car handling controls-menu database. Love my trunk space I actually use this as oppose to my suv to get groceries...crazy

Has a blind spot on the A pillar be careful.

It has grown on me.
By R House

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This is my 3rd Benz and I must admit that I was totally spoiled by my previous model, a 2001 CL 600. I still get goose bumps of it's awesome power and drive ability; however, it became a mechanical and reliability nightmare. When I first saw a CLS, I was struck by beauty and for me, it's understated elegance. When I decided to buy, at the beginning of 2009, looked at quite a few and drove a few, but I just could not, or was not ready, to go there. Everything in it's owm time and I spotted this beauty and I knew it was the one-black with cream interior and flawless kept, approximately 30,000, and showroom condition. After 6 months and approximately 4,000 miles there has not been one glitch.

The styling get approving stares everywhere I go. I'm 6'2" and 235lbs so getting in the drivers seat took some getting used too, but once in, it fits like a glove. I particularly like the access to all of the climate controls, radio and CD player. I'm retired, and 98% of the time I'm alone, great

As with my previous Benzs' the navigational system is a nightmare. To my mind Lexus does so much better, but then, Lexus is not a Benz. Getting golf bag and minimal luggage in the trunk reqires some imaginative work, the CL 600 was wide open and inviting. Side view requires constant vigilance.

Skin deep beauty
By jp_BucksCo_pa

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Facts: Shop service average is every six weeks since purchase. Repeat problems = air bag, trunk open/close harness, radio, suspension, wheels & tires, pressure sensor, brake pad sensor, windows. While many under warranty, the fun this car is to drive has been ruined by poor construction, unreliability, giving up almost a day a month to repairs. Dealer offers no solution despite complaints, though loaner (other make) is always available. After only 4 years, window seals and interior chrome are failing. My 7 YO F-150 has held up better. Too bad. Car looks and drives great, but car is a family joke. We leave it home for long trips never knowing when "Drive To Shop" light will come on mid-trip.

Distinctive look. Everything about driving - handling, acceleration, comfort - even for 6'-2" frame. Trunk space is excellent. Added all-season tires and now it has some drivability in light snow with no noticeable loss of handling on dry roads. When working properly, driver alerts are useful.

All minor, but suitable for the brand: Front driver and passenger windows should go all the way down - stop with an inch exposed. Electronics are simply awful. Need redesign or a way to fully diagnose source issue. So many false warnings, it's the car that cried wolf. Who knows what is real? Sad.

Great 2nd owner car
By J Hood

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I purchased this car as a certified preowned car with 24000 miles on it. I have read other owners concerns which I assume have all been addressed during the initial ownership. I have had a fantastic experience with an essentially brand new car for the past 4 mos. Definitely a driver's dream but a pleasure to travel in for 3 other passengers. Slightly challenging to get in and out of but a pleasure to own.

The sound of the engine and the feel of being pushed into the back of the seat when you leave the stop light. Scheduled maintenance every 15000 miles.

3 Irritating Things, but I Love the Car
By Hoot

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class CLS500 4dr Sedan (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Side mirrors are tiny- very difficult to see. Ride is too mushy even on sport mode setting. Glare on interior windshield on passenger side from wood trim is distracting. I plan to keep the car for 5 years. Found out that I cannot obtain an extended warranty since i am not the original owner. So now AAA gets my business and I can take it to the M-B dealer. Wake up Daimler! If you're over 6' you sit in the front seats- in the rear seat your head touches the roof- believe me. The 2010 version looks more aggressive so after 5 years I'll get one at less than half cost. This car depreciates 50% in less than 3 years!

Exterior styling

Side mirrors- make them bigger. Increase headroom in rear