Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

I Highly Recommend the BMW
By Melissa

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I traded in a BMW 330 convertible on this car a little over a year ago. I was looking for something a little more luxurious, but with the fun of the convertible. I really wish I had the 5 year old BMW back. This car looks good, but that's about it. Boring to drive, doesn't hug the curves like I'm used to. I've also been very disappointed in the interior of this car. Very cheaply designed for the price. Navigation system is so outdated that most of my commute on a highway completed two years ago is not even on the system. No one can tell me when this will be updated. I put the top down about once a week and put it back up in the garage. It is showing far more wear than 5 yr old BMW.

Favorite Features

Lines of the car are elegant. Fewer blind spots with the top up than most convertibles.

Suggested Improvements

GPS should be updated more than every 5 years. Needs a slightly more sporty feel to make it more fun. Upgrades needed to top workmanship to make it hold up to use. Mine is far to worn for one year. Stereo system is awful for a car at this price.

Ask me Again in 10 Years
By Dave

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Bought the car new 20 months ago. Absolutely love it, but I only have 9,000 miles on it. Did this coming off of 18 years of Toyota ownership. Have replaced the amplifier on the premium sound system and a malfunctioning key fob under warranty. Don't know if this is standard operating procedure for pricy German cars. Not a sports car as much as it is a muscle car with 21st century refinement. Bought it after deciding I was too old and too fat to climb in and out of a 911 Cabriolet at the Porsche dealership. Went to the MB dealership expecting to buy an SL. Test drove both CLK 500 and an SL 500. Decided to get a back seat and pay $30,000 less than what the SL would have cost.

Favorite Features

Switch between Comfort and Sport modes. Engine and transmission are exceptional. Traction stability control.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics are not nearly as intuitive as Japanese luxury cars. Ask me again in 10 years.

My first real toy
By robertfj

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Awesome driving experience. Great road manners and super performance. 11,000 miles and not one complaint or problem.

Favorite Features

Acceleration. Fit and interior finish. Comfortable back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic down rear windows.

Very pleased
By New Yorker

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I've had the car for 5 months now and couldn't be more pleased. The car handles exactly like you would expect and has outstanding performance. I have the 500 convertible and it doesn't accelerate, it leaps forward. I can imagine how the '07 550 accelerates. I compared it to the Audi S4 and the BMW 6 convertibles. The only thing the Audi had on it was all wheel drive - but it came with a higher monthly lease cost. The BMW wasn't as attractive and the back seat was not worth having. The back seat on the Benz while not expansive can and has held 2 full size adults confortably. The convertible top works great although it could be a little faster and less sensitive to items in the trunk.

Favorite Features

Upgraded sound system, convertible, seat coolers.

Suggested Improvements

Improved radio controls on the steering wheel. Make the on board computer/driver info system easier to use.

CLK500 CAB
By ELVAS

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have been a master Mercedes-Benz technician for 38 years. I have my own shop & know where every problem MB has. This is the best built, fun to drive, head turning, MB I have seen since the '71 280SE cabro. It is the Designo version & the leather/paint combo is a joy to look at. I know all of the complaints about MB, & if anyone should be mad at them it's me. But this is a car they can truly be proud of. There is no way Lexus, BMW, or the others can match the beauty & Soul this car has. Mercedes...keep up the good work!

Favorite Features

Real convertable/cloth top. Looks great / "real" style. Color: paint & leather. Exclusive/rare. Sound/navigation system. Power Quite It has a look that no other car comes close to that doesn't cost $500000.

Suggested Improvements

I honestly can't think of one. I don't know how they can make a more beautiful car then this. It puts the fun back into cars for someone that drives $100000 cars all day, every day of the week.