2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK350 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 CLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Almost Great!
By Jorge

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This is my first Mercedes. Everything is great except for a few things. The seat back contours are designed/built for very skinny people. Even a Mitsubishi I had with wrap around seat backs, were adjustable. The dial temp controls aren't very accurately adjustable (the 2002 Avalon I have are digitally adjustable with rocker up/down 1 degree increments). Ride & handling are superb for a convertible. Body is rigid with almost no twist on tight turns. Engines today should not require premium gas. The menu system is not very user friendly. And I just found out that the Nav. system is only updated every 5 years. Good thing I have portable Garmin units (which are easier to program).

Favorite Features

The quietness of the Cabriolet. Top up down operations function including integration with windows. Transmission smooth & quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Touch screen Nav, annual Map updates at a much cheaper price tag (Garmin's free for life) Move cruise cntrl set lever away from turn signal's- a real safety hazard in the dark. Door design makes for a cumbersome entry into rear seats, seniors have even a tougher one. Wrap around seat bk adjustable

Love this car!
By mbzlvr

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Purchased first as lease when new. Bought out the lease. Just love this car. Great power for a V6 and average 32mpg on the highway. Never have had any issues whatsoever. Great customer service during regular scheduled maintenance. Even got a loaner car every time! So much fun to drive and going topless is pure joy. I will definitely buy another MB.

Favorite Features

Harman Kardon sound system, seat belt presenters, i-Pod kit, sexy look both inside and out, build quality and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Locking glove compartment. Make NAV unit standard equipment

The best
By LHANN

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I have owned 19 cars, five of which were Benz. My favorites were the 1965 250S and the current CLK 350. It's a dream on the interstate but it is equally a pleasure to cruise the beach. My only complaints are that the trunk is a bit on the cozy side, especially with the top down, and the navigation system is CD driven. However, the navigation system is very good and I would never buy another car without the factory installed system. Gas mileage is outstanding. On the interstate I get 28 regularly (at 80+ mph), although city driving is considerably less. Although the model styling is a few years old I still get many wonderful comments and thumbs up from drivers on the road.

Favorite Features

Styling, typical Benz quality, handling, nav system, gas mileage, comfort especially on long trips. What's not to like.

Suggested Improvements

Voice control nav. system and telephone. Easier to read (larger letters) on the LED dash and nav read outs. Available saddle brown leather interior.

I Highly Recommend the BMW
By Melissa

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I traded in a BMW 330 convertible on this car a little over a year ago. I was looking for something a little more luxurious, but with the fun of the convertible. I really wish I had the 5 year old BMW back. This car looks good, but that's about it. Boring to drive, doesn't hug the curves like I'm used to. I've also been very disappointed in the interior of this car. Very cheaply designed for the price. Navigation system is so outdated that most of my commute on a highway completed two years ago is not even on the system. No one can tell me when this will be updated. I put the top down about once a week and put it back up in the garage. It is showing far more wear than 5 yr old BMW.

Favorite Features

Lines of the car are elegant. Fewer blind spots with the top up than most convertibles.

Suggested Improvements

GPS should be updated more than every 5 years. Needs a slightly more sporty feel to make it more fun. Upgrades needed to top workmanship to make it hold up to use. Mine is far to worn for one year. Stereo system is awful for a car at this price.

2 Years Later
By Max Headroom

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

We picked this car up in Germany in Oct,2005, fresh off the 2006 production line. I highly recommend their white-glove international delivery. We tooled around on the autobahn at speeds of 120- 130mph with little effort. I only recently went on a road trip of any length in the U.S.; 2000 miles to NY and back to Atlanta. What a dream on the road! Surprizingly, room for 2 suitcases,a computer tower,various coolers and tote bags without having to put the top up! Mileage ran at 30mpg @ 70-80 cruising speed. Because this is a performance car, the ride is stiff, but not intolerable for long trips. The adjustability of the driver seat makes finding a comfortable setting easy. Navi system is adequate.

Favorite Features

Very dependable, low maintenance car. Cruise control is the best I've used with true one-finger adjustment at increments of 1 mph up or down. One touch top-down is great. Leg and head room is phenomenal, my husband is 6'4" and has room to spare. Back seat is actually usable for two of average size.

Suggested Improvements

Radio controls on steering wheel don't progress satellite stations according to the presets.It only progresses them station by station,but AM/FM works fine. Passengers are unable to see the clock in the middle of the drivers view. Larger glove box would be nice, as would cupholders for the back.

Best Car Purchase
By Scott Woodward

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I previously owned an SLK 320, but wanted more room and luxury without sacrificing fun and performance. This car is the perfect answer. The only trip to the dealer so far was to remedy an electrical connector on the transmission and replace the CD player. Pleasantly surprised at delivery to find the newer console with two additional cup holders. Comfortable seats, and interior fit and finish is first rate. With the roof up there is good visibility, and it is surprisingly quiet. Absolutely fun to drive and easy on the eyes. This one is a keeper.

Favorite Features

Active lighting and sport suspension are must haves. 17" split spoke wheels discourage aftermarket shopping. Acceleration is smooth and strong, I smile every time I merge onto the highway.

Suggested Improvements

The styling starts out great at the front of the car, but it seems the designers gave up by the time they got to the rear. Camry-like tail lights are a bit disappointing. Something similar to the SL LED units would make a big difference.

Tires and Transmission
By L. Miller

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

Fun to drive, but lossing its appeal. Nothing but tire problems and now transmission problems. 2 blowouts, one bubble on sidewall, replaced rear tires at 18,0000 miles. Faulty transmission valve and now O rings are going out. This is a very expensive car for all these problems. When the lease is up, we will not get another Mercedes. I am sure there are a lot of great cars, less expensive and more dependable. Perhaps Audi or Volvo. Very disenchanted!

Favorite Features

Looks great, very comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Tires, brakes, transmission problems need to be solved. Too many less expensive cars on the market for Mercedes just to rely on their name as a reason for consumers to buy

What are they thinking?
By Mark L.

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

This car has no drink holders for soda cans or coffee cups at all. The seatbelts come forward for you to use them only if you start the car with the doors open. The roll bar in my convertible pops up whenever I go over a rumble strip in the road. The car looks great, but would I buy it again? Never. I will go back to the Mercedes sedans. Poor design of interior features and just no thought into what americans deem nice in their cars.

Favorite Features

The convertible top is just awsome, at least they got something right.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap it and start over. Whoever designed the features of this car needs to go back to the drawing board. The car runs great and looks great, but the obvious Mercedes features in this model are lacking for sure.

Ask me Again in 10 Years
By Dave

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Convertible (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Bought the car new 20 months ago. Absolutely love it, but I only have 9,000 miles on it. Did this coming off of 18 years of Toyota ownership. Have replaced the amplifier on the premium sound system and a malfunctioning key fob under warranty. Don't know if this is standard operating procedure for pricy German cars. Not a sports car as much as it is a muscle car with 21st century refinement. Bought it after deciding I was too old and too fat to climb in and out of a 911 Cabriolet at the Porsche dealership. Went to the MB dealership expecting to buy an SL. Test drove both CLK 500 and an SL 500. Decided to get a back seat and pay $30,000 less than what the SL would have cost.

Favorite Features

Switch between Comfort and Sport modes. Engine and transmission are exceptional. Traction stability control.

Suggested Improvements

Electronics are not nearly as intuitive as Japanese luxury cars. Ask me again in 10 years.

Best Car ever
By Glenn

2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK350 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 7A)

I purchased my CLK 350 one year ago and waited until now to see how it performed this past year, and it was great best car I have ever owned, and I have owned over 15 in the last 30 years. The ride is better than our Infiniti I35 much more quiet than the Lexes and BMW that I test drove. Everyone who rides along says this is a quiet car with lots of power. The interior fit and finish is great, the transmission shifts smoothly and the stability control are great. The ipod intergreation is what everyone should get. MB is the best every made.

Favorite Features

The quiet ride, sound system, and security features.

Suggested Improvements

Incorporate the radar cruise constrol and confort seats as standard equipment.