Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Sobering Realization
By bizzybee81

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 5 years of ownership, having purchased new, once my extended warranty (5 yr, 100k miles) ended, the sobering realization that major repairs costing more than the car is worth was a wake-up call. I'm being told by the dealer and MBUSA that the 7-speed transmission and torque convertor has to be replaced at a cost of $7k. With just barely over 130k miles, this first generation tranny is now defunct. It turns out it was a sealed transmission with no prescribed maintenance schedule to prevent problems. I'm told metal seems to be floating around and it has to be replaced -- at full cost to me! What OEM does that?? Add to that another $8k in other repairs, and $15k!! Last MB I'll ever buy.

FIVE YEARS AND HAPPY
By FIVE YEARS OF FUN

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car in December 2004 for my wife and we have enjoyed the car a lot. The car has been pretty good as far as problems. If I were thinking of buying a used one I would check the service record of the car and if it did not have a problem history, I would buy one. I have found in driving Mercedes Benz it really depends on if you get one that is made good or one that is a lemon. I have had both in my 30 years of Mercedes. They are very expensive cars to buy and to maintain but style and good looks and the Mercedes emblem never have come cheap.

Favorite Features

4 year 50,000 warranty

Best car ever
By MansBFisHisMercedes

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for a couple months now, and I have never been so happy driving it.I'm a BMW person, and when I drove this,I don't think I want to have anything else but a Mercedes.The CLK has a timeless styling, that no other car could match.The pillarless design is genius, reduces blind spots and gives the car that sporty look.The cars performance is great actually,but it could use some more push. The car makes me feel real safe, and when I close the door it makes me feel like I got into a tank.The cars interior is one of the best out there,I got everything but cooled seats and parking sensors. Seats are real plush, and they hold you in in tight turns.The Front logo is my favorite.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlamps with corner illuminating foglights are awesome. Windshield wipers that adjust to how much rain is pouring down. Road Grip (Take turns at like 75 and still feel safe), Quality of materials inside and out, Navigation directions in the screen in the middle of the speedo, user friendly

Suggested Improvements

An AWD trim, but the car is actually pretty good in the snow compared to other RWDs that I've seen.

Blown Away
By Picky

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I just bought this car, but drove Lexus, BMW and other MBZ models before purchasing and there is not comparison. It handles amazing and the shifters give it the feel of a manual transmission without the annoying clutch. Feels roomier inside than other models and reeks of luxury and performance. I will have a hard time going down in class of car after this one. It is the most fun car I have driven and it is hard to leave it parked for long.

Favorite Features

Interior is beautiful and very pleasing to the eye. The leather is high quality and very comfortable. The steering wheel is slimmer, which in my opinion is nice. the stereo system is incredible. The performance from 0-60 will get your heart pounding.

Suggested Improvements

It needs another cup holder, but do you really want someone drinking in it anyway? So far, I can't really find anything I would change. Gas m ileage is not the best, but what sports car is? This is not a wimpy engine.

Tires leaking air - AMG wheels
By MaryF

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

First I would like to say that I love this vehicle. However, I am having one tremendous problem. My tires are leaking air randomly, about every 2 to 3 weeks, to the point of being flat. I replaced the tires 18 months ago but I am still having this problem even more often. I've taken the car to the tire dealer at least half a dozen times and he has sealed the rims but told me the chrome on the AMG rims is bubbling inside the bead rim and is causing the leaks. I don't know if he is just trying to sell me new rims or what the deal is. Anyone else having this problem?

Favorite Features

ease of convertible top

Suggested Improvements

more cup holders