2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
Sobering Realization
By bizzybee81 on 04/01/13 13:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 5 years of ownership, having purchased new, once my extended warranty (5 yr, 100k miles) ended, the sobering realization that major repairs costing more than the car is worth was a wake-up call. I'm being told by the dealer and MBUSA that the 7-speed transmission and torque convertor has to be replaced at a cost of $7k. With just barely over 130k miles, this first generation tranny is now defunct. It turns out it was a sealed transmission with no prescribed maintenance schedule to prevent problems. I'm told metal seems to be floating around and it has to be replaced -- at full cost to me! What OEM does that?? Add to that another $8k in other repairs, and $15k!! Last MB I'll ever buy.

Summer Ride
By Sean on 03/01/09 17:53 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have a triple black CLK 500 convertible. It is very fun to drive with that V8 under the hood! It handles great and rides like a dream!

Wife's car
By JustOK on 03/21/07 23:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

As the title explains, this is my wife's car, I drive a 4-Runner. With a totally un-biased account, I can honestly say this car is too narrow for my 6' 215 lbs. frame. The seats aren't very comfortable, No lumbard support/ adjustment. The controls/ navigation are difficult to master and as mentioned in previous ratings, one cup holder. Now with all that said, I do have to compliment it's mechanical refinement. I mean The Germans are leaps and bounds ahead of us in the automobile industry. I don't have to change the oil for 13,000 miles! We debate over 3 to 5000? The 5 ltr. engine is mated to a 7-spd A/T. for a flawless performance. Man, I wish it were wider...or I was smaller.

Topless beauty
By sammy on 09/05/05 17:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This Benz is beautiful with the practicality of four seats. Sensual with or without the top. Smooth delivery of power thru 7 sp tranny. Had problems with the keyless go which required a few trips to the dealership. Finally, they replaced a key component. The stereo started to blast (mostly static) by itself, as if it was possessed. It would only happen sporadically. This problem was linked to the keyless go and was repaired. That was about a year ago. Since then, so far so good. It sure does get alot of looks.

Trouble in Paradise
By MsTC on 06/09/05 23:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car is beautiful and a pleasure to drive. It is nimble and responsive. Unfortunately, little and big problems have occured. The battery died when the car wasn't driven for ten days. The transmission failed without warning on the highway 100 miles from home. The Teleaid system couldn't pinpont our location. The car took a week to repair and I wasn't given a loaner. Later, the trunk wouldn't open without use of the valet key. The computer keeps losing the seat memory.

Love My CLK
By wwc6980 on 05/12/05 16:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I love my CLK500 convertible. It is drop dead good looking, very comfortable, handles wonderfully and has superb power. The interior is gorgeous, with stone colored leather, and the instrument panel is easy to read. The stereo sounds great and the top retracts quickly and is completely out of view. The cabin noise is far less than any of the four convertibles I have owned and is, in fact, lower than many sedans.

Nice ride!
By RON on 05/03/05 10:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

For my most recent cars, i have owned a Mercedes, a BMW and 2-Porsche's as "fun" cars. When I saw this car in the showroom, I had to have it. For a 4-seat convertible, it has a usable backseat. The gadgetry (I have the NAV system) is a bit much to learn, but can be fun to look at. Performace-wise, it is fabulous. I did test drive the equivalent Lexus convertibale and frankly the styling was not for me. This car has it all, styling, performance, comfort, reliablity. Turns a lot of heads, including mine!

Eurocarlover
By Luveurocars on 05/03/05 09:58 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I just recently purchased my CLK 500. When I test drove the car, I looked for power, quietness with the top up, and overall enjoyment to drive. This car is fun to drive. I've owned Porsches, Audis, and Range Rovers. This is my first Mercedes. This is definitely as fun and as comfortable to drive. I'm still getting used to the amazing power off the line. It is also a very quiet ride with the top up. Other convertibles we test drove, were quite noisy. I'm very pleased with this vehicle. She's a beauty!

Great Car!!!
By Greg on 03/07/05 20:48 PM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Black exterior with stone interior - no better combination. I have had this car for two months and am still very satisfied. I have owned several MB's, BMW's and Japanese cars before and this one is the best in terms of quality, prestige and fun factor. There really is no comparison. It is also fast ! I would do it all over again.

Smooth & Classy
By 1st Convertible on 02/13/05 00:12 AM (PST)

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Rare Mars Red w/Stone,Black Top. An absolute stunner - I get stopped where- ever I go! No comparison to common, tiny BMW Cabs. Classier than all the others. Excellent power, refined ride, great amenities. Comparisons to a Lexus are absurd. Every car has its bugs. I owned one of the first RX3000's in the state-nothing but problems for 16 mos. - and Lexus wouldn't help me. MB makes the best product available - I should know - I've been exporting autos for 15 yrs!