Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

2005 CLK 55 AMG
By Mike Evans

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my CLK 55 AMG convertible is Southampton NY. The car is fast, handles very well and is terrible on gas. (but I knew that from the start) The interior could use some work, especially the rear seats (just make it a 2 seater) Navigation system is onpoint, sound system is clean but confusing. (still havent figured out how to change the clock time) I do get compliments on the car evertime I leave the driveway.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, and perfect for summertime driving with the top down. I love how this car handles.

Suggested Improvements

How about a roll bar. The SL includes them standard, but not this car. The interior can use some work. The seatbelt assist is annoying.

Classy chassis
By RedRocket

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have been driving this feat of engineering for 1 month waiting for the winter to die so I can drop the top. Yesterday was just warm enough. What a thrill! I felt like a million bucks. Everything is so automatic and intuitive. Everything works exactly as designed. Being a designer i appreciate the complexity while being simple. the only engineering that may need work is the audio system controls which are a bit confusing. Hopefully, God willing, I will never own a lesser vehicle.

Favorite Features

Power to spare and incredible handling for a convertible. Favorite thing is the amazing engine and transmission. The Harmon Kardon stereo is fabulous except for a rattle at high volume in the driver door that I will attempt to fix under warranty. Love the incredible quality paint finish.

Suggested Improvements

Don't care for the center console. The top half is dedicated to the phone cradle which is not needed these days. I need a good space for 2 pair sunglasses. I think the exterior with top up is too similar to the Sebring. A perforated fender design and another AMG badge on side would improve exterior

head rush!
By CA Entrepreneur

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

What a head rush it is to drive this car! Even at top speeds it floats and is the smoothest ride I have ever experienced. I liken the feel of the engine when stepping down on the pedal to going into hyperspace. This thing's a rocket! Sure, I've had little things go wrong but that's what happens when you have such complicated electronics. I would definitely buy this car again even though I paid over sticker because of its rarity and popularity.

Favorite Features

The engine, the BOSE sound system, the ease of use of the convertible top, keyless entry and keyless go, ventilated seats

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space, more legroom in rear, more drink holders which hold different sizes of cups, less cumbersome navigation as in other MBZ vehicles, more "racey" exterior design, ability to change preset radio stations from steering wheel and not just scroll through stations

Mercedes or Ford Topaz
By CLK AMG 55 Owner

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I did not like the body style from the start, but I bought one anyway, fully loaded with everything possible. I paid $97,484 for this car. The dealership went through all the details how to operate the radio etc., but it was very confusing and illogical how to use all the features, I drove this car very little, it was slow for a supposed fast car. I put 130 miles on it and the speedomer stuck on 20MP. Took it back to the dealer, they had to put in a whole new assembly. Did not like this car. It is way overpriced and not easy to see out of or drive. I sold it back to dealer for 65,000 taking a 30,000 loss, better than 50K loss this car is not worth more than 30k.

Favorite Features

The best feature is the $4000.00 add on item: distronic cruise control. It will keep your speed, but will slow you down so you will not rear end the car in front of you when on cruise.

Suggested Improvements

Way over priced. I traded in a Lexus SC430, to get this car, what I big mistake on my part. Lexus is way better than this Ford like vehicle.

Great fun, and solid
By sark

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is really a gem and fun to drive. I have been a bit dissapointed by the little things that went wrong. The seat belt assist mechanism, the cheap center console and an alarm that had a mind of its own until the dealer fixed it. I paid sticker so I guess I expected closer to perfect. However, top down with the wife and kids is a blast and it's my favorite car in the sector.

Favorite Features

Engine, exterior detailing.

Suggested Improvements

Interior neds to be more refined with more attention to detail.....maybe a hardtop convertible in a year or two would be awesome!