2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 CLK-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

Sobering Realization
By bizzybee81

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

After 5 years of ownership, having purchased new, once my extended warranty (5 yr, 100k miles) ended, the sobering realization that major repairs costing more than the car is worth was a wake-up call. I'm being told by the dealer and MBUSA that the 7-speed transmission and torque convertor has to be replaced at a cost of $7k. With just barely over 130k miles, this first generation tranny is now defunct. It turns out it was a sealed transmission with no prescribed maintenance schedule to prevent problems. I'm told metal seems to be floating around and it has to be replaced -- at full cost to me! What OEM does that?? Add to that another $8k in other repairs, and $15k!! Last MB I'll ever buy.

Summer Ride
By Sean

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I have a triple black CLK 500 convertible. It is very fun to drive with that V8 under the hood! It handles great and rides like a dream!

Favorite Features

Easy convertible top operation, Power, Looks, Oil change every 13,000!

Suggested Improvements

More cupholders are a must, Standard airconditioned seats, More leg room for the back seat, Rain sensor for convertible top, the option to slow down the windshield wipers!

Wife's car
By JustOK

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

As the title explains, this is my wife's car, I drive a 4-Runner. With a totally un-biased account, I can honestly say this car is too narrow for my 6' 215 lbs. frame. The seats aren't very comfortable, No lumbard support/ adjustment. The controls/ navigation are difficult to master and as mentioned in previous ratings, one cup holder. Now with all that said, I do have to compliment it's mechanical refinement. I mean The Germans are leaps and bounds ahead of us in the automobile industry. I don't have to change the oil for 13,000 miles! We debate over 3 to 5000? The 5 ltr. engine is mated to a 7-spd A/T. for a flawless performance. Man, I wish it were wider...or I was smaller.

Favorite Features

302 hp, 339lbs. of torque, 7-speed auto. tran. w/ steering wheel shifting, craftsmanship and quality of materials.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the overpriced phone system and add plain old blue tooth.

Topless beauty
By sammy

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This Benz is beautiful with the practicality of four seats. Sensual with or without the top. Smooth delivery of power thru 7 sp tranny. Had problems with the keyless go which required a few trips to the dealership. Finally, they replaced a key component. The stereo started to blast (mostly static) by itself, as if it was possessed. It would only happen sporadically. This problem was linked to the keyless go and was repaired. That was about a year ago. Since then, so far so good. It sure does get alot of looks.

Favorite Features

Going topless, v8 and 7-sp , exterior desigh, minimal depreciation

Suggested Improvements

Come on offer a 6-sp manual like BMWs, at least in an AMG version.

Trouble in Paradise
By MsTC

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

This car is beautiful and a pleasure to drive. It is nimble and responsive. Unfortunately, little and big problems have occured. The battery died when the car wasn't driven for ten days. The transmission failed without warning on the highway 100 miles from home. The Teleaid system couldn't pinpont our location. The car took a week to repair and I wasn't given a loaner. Later, the trunk wouldn't open without use of the valet key. The computer keeps losing the seat memory.

Favorite Features

The acceleration, and responsiveness are a true joy. Two small children or one dog or one thin short adult can actually fit in the back seat comfortably. Sound is great even with the top down, and it comes down quickly! Gas mileage is very good (26 HWY)and not bad city (19-23).

Suggested Improvements

Two real cup holders would be nice. Simplify some of the useless and redundant gadgetry and lose the cheap plastic trim. Aim for reliabilty. The car should not be breaking down so often so soon.

Love My CLK
By wwc6980

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I love my CLK500 convertible. It is drop dead good looking, very comfortable, handles wonderfully and has superb power. The interior is gorgeous, with stone colored leather, and the instrument panel is easy to read. The stereo sounds great and the top retracts quickly and is completely out of view. The cabin noise is far less than any of the four convertibles I have owned and is, in fact, lower than many sedans.

Favorite Features

This car has power. It practically "jumps" across the street.

Suggested Improvements

Only enough trunk space for one set of golf clubs.

Nice ride!
By RON

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

For my most recent cars, i have owned a Mercedes, a BMW and 2-Porsche's as "fun" cars. When I saw this car in the showroom, I had to have it. For a 4-seat convertible, it has a usable backseat. The gadgetry (I have the NAV system) is a bit much to learn, but can be fun to look at. Performace-wise, it is fabulous. I did test drive the equivalent Lexus convertibale and frankly the styling was not for me. This car has it all, styling, performance, comfort, reliablity. Turns a lot of heads, including mine!

Favorite Features

The engine and technology of the transmission (the 7 speed automatic), overall styling, handling and performace (it is very, very fast!)

Suggested Improvements

The NAV system is tough to use and the handbook is simply not clear. Of course it is like learning to use any piece of technology, but this is simply too much.

Eurocarlover
By Luveurocars

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

I just recently purchased my CLK 500. When I test drove the car, I looked for power, quietness with the top up, and overall enjoyment to drive. This car is fun to drive. I've owned Porsches, Audis, and Range Rovers. This is my first Mercedes. This is definitely as fun and as comfortable to drive. I'm still getting used to the amazing power off the line. It is also a very quiet ride with the top up. Other convertibles we test drove, were quite noisy. I'm very pleased with this vehicle. She's a beauty!

Favorite Features

Body style, ease of ingress and egress, comfortable interior. Love the solid feel of the car. Large enough backseat that it is functional.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders! There is only one, and it is a rather far reach for the driver. There is no cupholder for passengers. This rather supprised me. But as I reflect back on my other Euro.cars, they all have been one cup holder short. Passengers will just have to hold on to their own.

Great Car!!!
By Greg

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Black exterior with stone interior - no better combination. I have had this car for two months and am still very satisfied. I have owned several MB's, BMW's and Japanese cars before and this one is the best in terms of quality, prestige and fun factor. There really is no comparison. It is also fast ! I would do it all over again.

Favorite Features

Easy access soft top and shift on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Smooth & Classy
By 1st Convertible

2005 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Rare Mars Red w/Stone,Black Top. An absolute stunner - I get stopped where- ever I go! No comparison to common, tiny BMW Cabs. Classier than all the others. Excellent power, refined ride, great amenities. Comparisons to a Lexus are absurd. Every car has its bugs. I owned one of the first RX3000's in the state-nothing but problems for 16 mos. - and Lexus wouldn't help me. MB makes the best product available - I should know - I've been exporting autos for 15 yrs!

Favorite Features

Seemless top,nice sound system

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, more storage areas, one- touch top.