Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Driving CLK class car IS exhilarating
By Love my CLK

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I always loved the CLK models, especially with AMG bodywork, upgrades and notable performance is something that I have always marveled. I really liked the 208 body, but the newer 209 just gives me chills. These cars are the complete package for me, weighted more towards luxury than sport. I opted for the 320 (over 500) because I would lose my license, be in jail and ultimately would not be practical for me, as I cannot take advantage of the modest 3.2 liter engine in my current daily driving conditions. I have had a few minor repairs during the warranty period. And I have noticed though, each time I (or the dealer) do any maintenance, the car drives notable different, improved & better.

Pillar less design looks AWESOME and lends to improved peripheral vision while driving. The general geometry, short wheel base, tight body shape, 49/51 eight balance, general handling and balance are superlative. I have done high speed passing maneuvers that should have result in wreck.

Dealers and their (in house) service departments leave much to be desired. I want to learn to work on the car myself, or find a shade tree mechanic and OMIT the dealer, sorry.

Nice car
By johnthelandlord

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Bought it new in 03, and have it as a second car. A few minor problems like flicker in tail light, sunroof one touch and stuck on ABS light on dash since then but nothing big. One thing that is VERY annoying is the complicated "computer" that's accessed through a series of pressing four buttons in certain sequence on the steering wheel. You can never find what you want easily and you can have an accident while you are fiddling with it while driving!! Setting the clock?? You need a degree in engineering to do it. Having an older BMW the controls were very simple one touch on one single button.

Very smooth and quiet, good handling although a bit sacrificed for smooth ride. Built solid. Decent gas mileage.

The controls stink, get a better system all together. Match the color of the dashboard lights.

Perfect design
By clkowner

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a wonderful car. It manages to perform like a sports car without the punishing ride found in so many high performance cars. Everything it does is effortless.

Fold down back seat allows me to throw my bicycle in the trunk when needed.

The radiator fan is too loud!

Too many malfunctions
By brad

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

A beautiful car inside and out, but too many malfunctions. The tires only get 10- 12,000 miles. Automatic transmission failed after 30,000. The front upper console light panel blew after 1500 miles. Passenger window motor and headrest motor have needed to be replaced. Moonroof cables needed to be replaced after 25,000. Good mpg (24-26), and very comfortable and quiet.

Exterior and interior styling. Fun to drive

More standard features. Make it more reliable. Less maintance work!

If you can afford it
By todd

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is a fantastic car to own. Sleek fast and a sheer pleasure to drive. Do not get the ventilated seats, makes them ride like hell. I didn't think I could pay $60 grand for a car and think it was worth the money. But I cannot wait to get another. Mercedes far excedes the customer service of the big 3. I leased mine for less than my Dad leases a 300c.

One touch controls, class feel

Make seats a little more plush.