Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

EX HOT RODDER LOVES HIS CLK 500
By Cary Cooper

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I did a 48 state search for this car (found it 4 hours from my home!) I have always done almost all the work on my cars since I was 16. I have only bought 3 new cars in the 57 years I have been driving. My motto has always been "I never met a car I didn't need to modify for me". That means modify in all ways. The only mods on this car I have/will make involve adding things that did not come on it originally (such as bluetooth). It has the right wheels (AMG) so it is the first car ever that I don't have to change the wheels! It has the right engine - more than enough power/acceleration/speed (and economy considering the performance) (my last "hot rod" was a 1987 Volvo wagon with a Mustang Cobra 5.0 with a Tremec 5-speed - like Paul Newman and David Letterman had!). This car is effortless, smooth and secure. The HVAC is great and so is the Command radio/nav unit. It has the right suspension - it rides nice, handles the twisties great and stops like a race car. It does have some options I don't need but I can handle that since I figure I didn't pay for them. And it looks awesome with the top down (and the top is so easy to lower/raise) - and it seats 4.. Based on how new the interior looks (I am very fussy) the materials are tough as well as good looking and luxurious (but I know that from my previous 2 MB's). So far it is easy to work on (better than my 300CE was) and maintain.

after 5 years and 50k miles
By amiraqeel

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car with 6k miles on it. I am still amazed with car after 5 years, the way it obeys driver's command. Body style is great. Only changes made to this car are 20inch giovanni rims which makes it look even greater.I heard complain about having one cup holder only. There are actually two cup holders. I own four different vehicles and believe if you keep up with the maintanance and make small changes technology wise to your car, it will give you years of enjoyment, specialy to clk500

The best feature in this car are many,but my favorite is that u can still have a conversation with a fellow passanger while top is down.

none since mb is not gonna make any more clk due to lifecycle of these models

Poor Quality At Mercedes
By robert tabb

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Love the look and the concept. Hate the hassle. Have clk 500 with all the options and 26k miles. So far communications computer failed, blinker lights on panel failed, brakes squeak, fan sounds like jet engine, paint on hood and other places is blistering, stalk for cell phone broken, seat seam is coming lose. Car is nightmare and this is not unusual from what I read. When you lay this on top of "normal" maintenance you are into serious dollars.

nice look and plenty of power, pretty good handling

try to restore Mercedes quality

A Styling Classic
By E. Maggio

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Among the earliest CLK 500 Cabrios shipped. Superb styling and remarkable acceleration with pedal to floor. Also drive a '67 427 stick Vette so I speak with some authority. Minor problems with driver's seat belt "presentor". Early navigation system difficult to use, improved later in year but dash/wood/knob styling looks much better than improved GPS version. What's more important? I'm a style geek. Gas mileage seems poor to some because take is small! Get 23-25 on highway, 17-18 city driving. Top operation slick. Hard to understand why anyone could not love this car. Still get many great comments into 5th year. Wish it ran on regular gas! More power not essential with this car.

Superb styling and extra space back seat, more than BMW, but still not enough for golf clubs without removing driver and fairway metals.

Better functionality GPS. Newer models likely much better, because couldn't be much worse.

Fun in the Sun
By John Sweeney

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2004 CLK cabriolet since new and use it for trips and top down driving. It's not my daily driver. I like the pickup in sport mode, the ride free of cowl shake and the looks with the top down. Luggage space is sparse unless the top is up. The optional AMG seating with more thigh and back support, heating and cooling and more controls is a must for tall drivers. Overall, I am very satisfied and have had zero defects or recalls.