2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
after 5 years and 50k miles
By amiraqeel on 03/21/11 19:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car with 6k miles on it. I am still amazed with car after 5 years, the way it obeys driver's command. Body style is great. Only changes made to this car are 20inch giovanni rims which makes it look even greater.I heard complain about having one cup holder only. There are actually two cup holders. I own four different vehicles and believe if you keep up with the maintanance and make small changes technology wise to your car, it will give you years of enjoyment, specialy to clk500

Poor Quality At Mercedes
By robert tabb on 06/22/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Love the look and the concept. Hate the hassle. Have clk 500 with all the options and 26k miles. So far communications computer failed, blinker lights on panel failed, brakes squeak, fan sounds like jet engine, paint on hood and other places is blistering, stalk for cell phone broken, seat seam is coming lose. Car is nightmare and this is not unusual from what I read. When you lay this on top of "normal" maintenance you are into serious dollars.

A Styling Classic
By E. Maggio on 03/28/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Among the earliest CLK 500 Cabrios shipped. Superb styling and remarkable acceleration with pedal to floor. Also drive a '67 427 stick Vette so I speak with some authority. Minor problems with driver's seat belt "presentor". Early navigation system difficult to use, improved later in year but dash/wood/knob styling looks much better than improved GPS version. What's more important? I'm a style geek. Gas mileage seems poor to some because take is small! Get 23-25 on highway, 17-18 city driving. Top operation slick. Hard to understand why anyone could not love this car. Still get many great comments into 5th year. Wish it ran on regular gas! More power not essential with this car.

Fun in the Sun
By John Sweeney on 05/10/07 08:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2004 CLK cabriolet since new and use it for trips and top down driving. It's not my daily driver. I like the pickup in sport mode, the ride free of cowl shake and the looks with the top down. Luggage space is sparse unless the top is up. The optional AMG seating with more thigh and back support, heating and cooling and more controls is a must for tall drivers. Overall, I am very satisfied and have had zero defects or recalls.

Very Disappointed With This Car
By TIM on 01/30/07 10:08 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Waited 5 months for car to be delivered. Within 3 months of delivery we had a leak in the transmission that left the car inoperable. After two visits, they replaced the trans. Next the Zenon headlight started shorting out; it had to be replaced. Next was alignment issues, this car will wear out top quality tires in less than 12k miles of normal driving! My car has had to be aligned 3 times in 2 years. Next was the seatbelt, the mechanism that hands you the belt had to be replaced. And finally, today my wife is at the dealership having a gear replaced in the tilt steering mechanism. I am so disappointed in this car! I thought I was buying the best, but, I got a lemon! Buyer beware.

Superlative car but real mileage is poor
By mstrebe on 04/19/06 01:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

The CLK500 cabrio is a fantastic car. No compromises with this car--it doesn't even really need four doors because you can drop to top with the keyfob so backseat passengers can comfortably enter standing up. I use it to get my kids and their carseats in more easily than seating them in our SUV. Performance is fantastic. 0-60 in under 6. I've done 135 in it and there's litterally no difference in handling between that and 65. Braking is astonishingly short. Great car for family guys who want a sports car or tall people--drivers up to 6'7". One warning though: The real mileage you'll get in this car is about 16.5 mpg.

Two CLK Lemons in a row!
By Rob Kennedy on 03/23/06 11:23 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I leased a 2001 that had nothing but problems. They assured me that it was extremely rare. Sucker! I leased a 2004 on condition that if I had problems they would let me out of the lease. Sucker! Even worse than the first one, and guess what, they won't even return my phone calls about getting out of the lease. The car spent so much time in the shop getting the same things fixed that I don't bother any more. Seats don't work, windshield makes cracking sounds, gas tank doesn't fill properly, cruise control analog/digital readings don't match, brakes squeal, and much more. Never get this car! My wife's BMW has never had a day of trouble. When I finally ditch this lemon I'm going BMW.

Love it
By vince palumbo on 03/12/06 06:02 AM (PST)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

Great car-would like better use of wind screen. Instlation, storage,and design could be better. I find the computer system for information can be difficult to use such as oil level, time change etc. Of course it would nice if the trunk could be larger even at the expence of the back seat being a little smaller(hard to get my golf clubs in & out of the trunk. Also somewhere to place a second coffee cup. Having said all that, I love the car and would recommened it to anyone. P.S. I got my brother to buy one in 2006.

CLK 500
By jms122860 on 10/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK500 2dr Cabriolet (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned several high performance cars including 2 BMW's. The CLK500 is, without a doubt, the best car I have ever driven - and I loved the Bimmers. It looks beautiful (I get compliments from strangers all the time), and it drives even better. The engine's performance is thrilling and the handling is superb. It is absolutely a thrill to drive. A friend of mine traded his brand new E500 for a CLK500 after riding in mine! Its also much more practical than the SL series or the SLK, because it has a functional back seat (I have two young teens to haul around), although not very good for long trips.

What a disappointment!
By MO%12 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

My CLK is <6 months old and has been in the shop more than every car I have ever owned over 20 years combined and I haven't even had an oil change yet! The glove box wouldn't close before I even drove my new car off the lot requiring multiple days to fix with a complete dashboard overhaul. Then the driver door had a rattle that required a "bolt to be tightened". A month later the rattle occurred on the passenger side. Then the seat belt arm extension stopped working - all requiring days of service. I gave my thoughts to JD Power & Associates and asked if others had these types of problems - the answer an emphatic yes!

1 2 3 4 5 next »