Used 2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Most Helpful|
you will love it
By AMG lover

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Pre-owned with 7k miles, over a year now and I still try to find any excuse to be out driving it. Acceleration is amazing, 5 years old and still a head-Turner. Few minor things went wrong but all were covered under the warranty. I drove many Mercedes, BMW's and prosches, and I can tell you this one combines the power of a Porsche with the luxury of a Benz.

Favorite Features

too many to list

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes no longer manufactures CLK cars, but I wished if the rear fender was little bit more sporty looking. And the cup-holder holds nothing, i think it should be deeper or tighter

I LOVE THIS CAR!!
By spenc618

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

I was very concerned on the maintenance cost for this car but it's really not as bad as you think if you are mentally prepared to expect slightly higher costs. I did have a transmission issue that kept the car jumping into default mode (3rd gear). I hear it is a common issue.. a $900 dollar issue. Other than that (FYI the dealership treated me very well) I brought the car as a weekend car. The power and looks make it practically impossible to NOT drive it daily. It pulls so smoothly from the light that it is not until you look in the mirror or down at the dash that you notice you are moving so quickly. Only car i have driven just for fun like riding my motorcycle.

Favorite Features

The power, the styling, looks stunning with the top up and breathtaking with the top down. The sound of that AMG 5.5 with the top down on a summer evening!

Suggested Improvements

no adjustment for electronic granny. Either too much traction control or none.

First Sports Car.. I love it!!
By spenc618

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Fast great handling, SEXY car. I love it and would recommend to anyone as a head turner. Gas mileage is as expected, not your everyday driver. 4 sets of brake pads set me back 400 dollars at the dealer. No way to keep the factory look and add satellite radio unless it was already installed. Changing the head unit is not an option unless a custom bracket is fabricated. Verify the one you buy has the wiring to attach the bluetooth adapter for your hands free calling by taking it to the dealer. Adding it later is very expensive.

Favorite Features

The speed, handling and very quiet considering it is a convertible. Bose stereo has full, rich sound. Clean cabin!

Suggested Improvements

None. I love it

Baddest on the road
By rgalban

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG CLK55 AMG 2dr Cabriolet (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Seems the Germans hit this one out of the park. Top opens easily, style to spare, a real head-turner. Mine is triple black & I love it. Sounds like a real super-car and performs like one as well. I've had other sports cars but this one is my favorite for several reasons listed and some not willing to admit to here. Can't wait for the CLK63 as soon as my lease is up. "...if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up..." Ferris Bueller

Favorite Features

Oh yeah, the monstrous 362 ponies under the hood. Also, if you can resist, 22mpg/hwy..

Suggested Improvements

None needed but if I have to stretch - A/C seats, another cupholder, bigger wheels..

Fast, Sexy, and Fun
By TXCLK55

2004 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG CLK55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased the CLK55 as a Certified Pre-Owned with 18K miles already on it. Timeless looks make everyone mistake this for a new car. It has gotten nothing but praise from my friends, neighbors and co-workers when they see it. The lack of pillars between front and rear windows allows for amazing visibility. Turning off the ESP allows for a little fun and lets you turn out the rear if you so desire. Driving this car is pure enjoyment. Rear seat is tight but can fit an reasonable size adult. For half the price of a new CLK I'm completely happy with my purchase. Averaging about 18mpg but can get 20 if I take it easy. If you're buying this car you shouldn't be worrying about price of gas.

Favorite Features

Engine sound, nothing sweeter than a big V8.

Suggested Improvements

HVAC barely able to keep up with Texas heat even with max tint on windows. More than one cup holder for front seat would've been nice.