Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

Great til something breaks!
By Brigittetolson

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got Heidi (yes, I named my clk430 Heidi), I was in love. The way this car takes turns, accelerates, and performs overall is amazing. Then, at a mere 77,000 miles- stuff started to break...the convertible top computer went out all the time, and eventually died (1400$ part), the cats needed to be replaced (1000$)...then after all that, the trans started slipping...after getting multiple quotes to fix all the problems and replace the trans, I was looking at about 5000$ worth of repairs. I made the choice to trade her in for the Lamborghini inspired Toyota mr2 spyder. The opinion of many mechanics was that the clks trans tends to die at 80k miles. Way too soon in my opinion.

Overall handling and performance, beautiful exterior, heated seats, comfort

Convertible top needs to be more reliable, bumper is too low and gets scraped when parking, parts are extremely expensive once warranty is up!

Still gets looks
By catscann2004

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Mercedes I've purchased. I will not settle for less (I since purchased an M-Class then an R-Class for my wife). The handling is great and the top is easy to work (the next year Mercedes make the top fully automatic). I would recommend the CLK to any person that enjoys the being out and about. The trips to Las Vegas make this ride a must! Just wish that bluetooth was readily available in 2002.

The styling and comfort the response when called upon.

Improvements to the top and bluetooth have been made since 2002.

Rag top in the snow belt
By Skaneateles, NY

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great year-round car. With snows on in winter drivability is excellent - we get 100" of snow a year. The top is very well insulated & quiet. On any sunny day above 55 degrees I have the top down. The wind screen does a great job of keeping the cabin serene and the heated seats keep you warm, that way you can focus on the excellent exhaust note. Mileage is good at 24MPG and 27MPG highway. This is a cruiser-not a sports car. Performance is adequate, not stellar. High speed cruising is addictive and one can blast to high speed and beyond without realizing it, even with the top down - It's that well designed. I targeted this car specifically over the new model as this one is designed by Bruno Sacco.

Convertible top. Batmobile design of rear deck. The car gets a lot of stares.

A better seat would help. The new model is better at that. Also, a mechanism that hands you the seatbelt, it's a long reach, new model has that too and bland stying to boot!

A great car to drive
By Carl C.

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had convertibles for the last 30 years. This is by far the most fun to drive. The trunk is very small, but who cares. If you have golf clubs, throw them in the back seat. However, as other people have noted, the electrical systems leave a lot to be desired.

I really like the feel of the car and how well it handles. When power is needed to get on the freeway, this car has it. It also has a nice tight feel to the interior; it just "feels right." I love the car. I get lots of comments from friends and they like riding in the car too.

Electricals. I've had problems with both side mirrors, the motors for both seats were replaced, the battery died and no warning lights came on, the alternator died too, the trunk jams, the remote doorlock is pretty pitiful, the instrumentation & the CD in the dash had to be replaced. Not too good!

Bonnie's CLK
By BONNIE

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Convertible CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Car seems to have tire or rim issues. Tires do not hold air on AMG type low profile rims.Top button and window buttons have issues. Ride is rough on long trips. Very hot with black top, seats, and exterior.

Emblem on hood