Used 2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

2nd Owner
By markgt350

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have always purchased low mile cars. When I purchased my CLK in September of 2009 from a So Cal MB it had 40K miles. In less than 2 years I added another 46K miles. I have had no issues with the car until. Unfortuneately the car was recently involved in an accident that left it totaled. I have had little luck locating a replacement w/low miles. I will continue my hunt.

The 1st thing I did when I got the was bring it to the shop that has been servicing my MB for the past 15+ years. He changed the transmission fluid as a prevention. They have taken very good care of these cars. I have had 2 MB that went over 300K with basic maintainence; 1 radiator in each. no motor or trans work, never changed the original exhaust or mufflers. Oil/filter every 3K. I currently have a 92 300CE with just over 100K, its our "Sunday car." It sat for 8 mos in our garage before I needed to use it. Needless to say it started right up. I would not own any other car.

Great til something breaks!
By Brigittetolson

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got Heidi (yes, I named my clk430 Heidi), I was in love. The way this car takes turns, accelerates, and performs overall is amazing. Then, at a mere 77,000 miles- stuff started to break...the convertible top computer went out all the time, and eventually died (1400$ part), the cats needed to be replaced (1000$)...then after all that, the trans started slipping...after getting multiple quotes to fix all the problems and replace the trans, I was looking at about 5000$ worth of repairs. I made the choice to trade her in for the Lamborghini inspired Toyota mr2 spyder. The opinion of many mechanics was that the clks trans tends to die at 80k miles. Way too soon in my opinion.

Overall handling and performance, beautiful exterior, heated seats, comfort

Convertible top needs to be more reliable, bumper is too low and gets scraped when parking, parts are extremely expensive once warranty is up!

Speedy and Classy
By Corey Foreside

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

My dad got this car earlier this year and I think it's quite ugly. But, the performance is superb. It is also very well made and fun to drive, as well as comfortable.

Heated seats, rear retractable sunscreen, trunk accessable through rear seats, headlamp washers

Better exterior look, more stylish interior

Still gets looks
By catscann2004

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Mercedes I've purchased. I will not settle for less (I since purchased an M-Class then an R-Class for my wife). The handling is great and the top is easy to work (the next year Mercedes make the top fully automatic). I would recommend the CLK to any person that enjoys the being out and about. The trips to Las Vegas make this ride a must! Just wish that bluetooth was readily available in 2002.

The styling and comfort the response when called upon.

Improvements to the top and bluetooth have been made since 2002.

Rag top in the snow belt
By Skaneateles, NY

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great year-round car. With snows on in winter drivability is excellent - we get 100" of snow a year. The top is very well insulated & quiet. On any sunny day above 55 degrees I have the top down. The wind screen does a great job of keeping the cabin serene and the heated seats keep you warm, that way you can focus on the excellent exhaust note. Mileage is good at 24MPG and 27MPG highway. This is a cruiser-not a sports car. Performance is adequate, not stellar. High speed cruising is addictive and one can blast to high speed and beyond without realizing it, even with the top down - It's that well designed. I targeted this car specifically over the new model as this one is designed by Bruno Sacco.

Convertible top. Batmobile design of rear deck. The car gets a lot of stares.

A better seat would help. The new model is better at that. Also, a mechanism that hands you the seatbelt, it's a long reach, new model has that too and bland stying to boot!

• SUV