2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

2002 CLK-Class Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2nd Owner
By markgt350

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have always purchased low mile cars. When I purchased my CLK in September of 2009 from a So Cal MB it had 40K miles. In less than 2 years I added another 46K miles. I have had no issues with the car until. Unfortuneately the car was recently involved in an accident that left it totaled. I have had little luck locating a replacement w/low miles. I will continue my hunt.

Suggested Improvements

The 1st thing I did when I got the was bring it to the shop that has been servicing my MB for the past 15+ years. He changed the transmission fluid as a prevention. They have taken very good care of these cars. I have had 2 MB that went over 300K with basic maintainence; 1 radiator in each. no motor or trans work, never changed the original exhaust or mufflers. Oil/filter every 3K. I currently have a 92 300CE with just over 100K, its our "Sunday car." It sat for 8 mos in our garage before I needed to use it. Needless to say it started right up. I would not own any other car.

Great til something breaks!
By Brigittetolson

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got Heidi (yes, I named my clk430 Heidi), I was in love. The way this car takes turns, accelerates, and performs overall is amazing. Then, at a mere 77,000 miles- stuff started to break...the convertible top computer went out all the time, and eventually died (1400$ part), the cats needed to be replaced (1000$)...then after all that, the trans started slipping...after getting multiple quotes to fix all the problems and replace the trans, I was looking at about 5000$ worth of repairs. I made the choice to trade her in for the Lamborghini inspired Toyota mr2 spyder. The opinion of many mechanics was that the clks trans tends to die at 80k miles. Way too soon in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Overall handling and performance, beautiful exterior, heated seats, comfort

Suggested Improvements

Convertible top needs to be more reliable, bumper is too low and gets scraped when parking, parts are extremely expensive once warranty is up!

Speedy and Classy
By Corey Foreside

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

My dad got this car earlier this year and I think it's quite ugly. But, the performance is superb. It is also very well made and fun to drive, as well as comfortable.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, rear retractable sunscreen, trunk accessable through rear seats, headlamp washers

Suggested Improvements

Better exterior look, more stylish interior

Still gets looks
By catscann2004

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Cabriolet (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Mercedes I've purchased. I will not settle for less (I since purchased an M-Class then an R-Class for my wife). The handling is great and the top is easy to work (the next year Mercedes make the top fully automatic). I would recommend the CLK to any person that enjoys the being out and about. The trips to Las Vegas make this ride a must! Just wish that bluetooth was readily available in 2002.

Favorite Features

The styling and comfort the response when called upon.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements to the top and bluetooth have been made since 2002.

Rag top in the snow belt
By Skaneateles, NY

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

A great year-round car. With snows on in winter drivability is excellent - we get 100" of snow a year. The top is very well insulated & quiet. On any sunny day above 55 degrees I have the top down. The wind screen does a great job of keeping the cabin serene and the heated seats keep you warm, that way you can focus on the excellent exhaust note. Mileage is good at 24MPG and 27MPG highway. This is a cruiser-not a sports car. Performance is adequate, not stellar. High speed cruising is addictive and one can blast to high speed and beyond without realizing it, even with the top down - It's that well designed. I targeted this car specifically over the new model as this one is designed by Bruno Sacco.

Favorite Features

Convertible top. Batmobile design of rear deck. The car gets a lot of stares.

Suggested Improvements

A better seat would help. The new model is better at that. Also, a mechanism that hands you the seatbelt, it's a long reach, new model has that too and bland stying to boot!

A great car to drive
By Carl C.

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I've had convertibles for the last 30 years. This is by far the most fun to drive. The trunk is very small, but who cares. If you have golf clubs, throw them in the back seat. However, as other people have noted, the electrical systems leave a lot to be desired.

Favorite Features

I really like the feel of the car and how well it handles. When power is needed to get on the freeway, this car has it. It also has a nice tight feel to the interior; it just "feels right." I love the car. I get lots of comments from friends and they like riding in the car too.

Suggested Improvements

Electricals. I've had problems with both side mirrors, the motors for both seats were replaced, the battery died and no warning lights came on, the alternator died too, the trunk jams, the remote doorlock is pretty pitiful, the instrumentation & the CD in the dash had to be replaced. Not too good!

Reviews are all over the map!
By E Versace

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used in 2006. It had about 41000 miles on it.It was a great car and the first owner really took care of it. I didn't purchase the extended warranty. The first year I drove it was great. Doesn't matter if you're young or old, people will turn their heads to see who is driving this car. I picked this car for the sleek yet muscular body style that the newer models do not have. My best friend went online after I got this car and purchased a certified MB CLK 430 as well, but he failed to realize that the heated seats and halogen headlights weren't standard. The power of the 430 is amazing and often found myself flooring the gas pedal to feel the G force push lay me back.

Favorite Features

Bose Audio system, rain sensor wipers, heated seats, sun shield, design of body, spacious trunk, the sound of the engine ( almost like glass packs are installed)

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are not designed well, the seats could be more luxurious, if you sent in traffic it burns alot of gas, leg room for backseat,cd changer in trunk skips alot if on bumpy road,

AMG Rocket!
By John Campen

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased this 2002 CLK55 AMG in April 2006 with 30,000 miles only on it! Paid $42,500. Can't beat the power nor the handling its incredible! Why go out and buy an new M3 or CLS when you cant get one of these for a fraction of the price. 0-60 in 4.7! The looks are stunning and it catch's everyone's attention when you step on it!

Favorite Features

Handling. V8 engine almost like 12 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Grab snow tires for the winter!

Bonnie's CLK
By BONNIE

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Cabriolet (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Car seems to have tire or rim issues. Tires do not hold air on AMG type low profile rims.Top button and window buttons have issues. Ride is rough on long trips. Very hot with black top, seats, and exterior.

Favorite Features

Emblem on hood

Suggested Improvements

Dual suspension

I Love My Benz!
By BenzDriver1122

2002 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my CLK320 after looking at the 300 series BMWs, the "baby Lincoln", and a '99 CLK. I have never regretted my decision to go ahead and buy (at a non-discounted price!). I drive R/T either DC-Bowling Green (KY), Bowling Green-Louisville, Bowling Green-Chicago, or Bowling Green-Jacksonville (FL) at least once a month and enjoy every mile. If I could change one thing with my CLK, it would be to incorporate a CD/tape player with the CD holder in the trunk. I have found 2 minor annoyances: one with the light electrical system...I've had four blown bulbs in 4 years. The other is the rear window screen. Over time it does not retract properly. A happy CLK driver.

Favorite Features

Body style and handling. Mileage for the CLK320 is respectable.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the electrical system. There is no reason my car should blow lights as frequently as it does. The rear window screen material should be of a quality that it maintains its retractability over time.