Used 1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mercedes-benz Clk-class - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:

15 going on 30--A future classic
By dadconsult

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I picked up my '99 CLK 430 for a song...and at 131,000 miles it runs and drives like new. The interior is flawless, leather seats show no wear and tear whatsoever. Power to spare, which is very evident when pulling onto an interstate vs my prior car, a V6 Accord. However, the Accord's ride was far better, the trade-off of a drivers' car. It is, however, much quieter and despite being 9 years older, feels more solid and well-built (it's German-built, mine has AMG trim) than the Accord. Now the rest of the story--it's a salvage car, was in an accident that took out the drivers' side front fender and bumper. Was repaired and cannot tell it was ever touched, no consequences are evident.

Favorite Features

Power, solid feel on the road, luxury features. I have no intention on selling it, planning to keep it for 15 more years and sell it as a classic, which it absolutely will be. What the 450SL is to the late 70s/early 80s, the CLK 430 will be to the late 90s/early 2000s. I have absolutely no doubt.

Suggested Improvements

Although good mileage (25 highway) premium gas required is really expensive.

Great fun to drive car
By Kawl

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about a year and a half ago and have loved driving it. It is a great strong car that always has a little more power when you need it. It is a solid car that continues to impress me. Things do break on the car but it seems to have a backup for everything. The sunroof sometimes stops but pressing the button in a different direction makes it work, then works later just fine. I also had a crankshaft sensor malfunction but was less than 150 dollars to fix. So far great luck with the car and it still looks brand new.

Favorite Features

Top End Power and the car's lines.

Suggested Improvements

Fix electronic issues.

Built to Last
By Ron

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a used Starmark auto the year it came out and having driven it for 10 years now I have had almost zero repairs other than standard maintenance. Recently my car was hit hard by another car right at the drivers door and both the car and I were just fine-not the same with their car. This car is a tank that is light on its feet, beautiful to drive and look at and it has performed beyond expectation. Only drawback are the upkeep on the low profile front tires which require changing often.

Favorite Features

Beautiful lines of the front of the car

Suggested Improvements

Ummm...silly place to put the automatic trunk open button right next to the window open button. Why not on the dashboard instead. CD player in the trunk is fairly useless today

MB should not have redesigned it
By Dan

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new and still have it after almost 9 years. I was driving a Dodge Avenger back in 1998 and saw this car on the road. The next day I was at MB dealership and ordered one with every possible option except for ski sack. The 3.2L engine is more than I need but it accelerates smoothly without any delays or gaps until you go above 60. The car is still the best looking vehicle on the road. Too bad MB had to redesign the look of it, I would have bought another one again. Now, I am keeping it. I've had mostly electrical problems including failed front computer twice and blown bulbs here and there but nothing major. Sometimes the car fails to start on first crank in any weather.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, the look. Very comfortable seats, silver color is terrific.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder is a joke. It simply can't hold a biggie drink in it without wobbling

Beautiful until you get under the hood
By bhoward081

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I fell in love with the car at first sight I just had to have it. Problem is I wish I never laid eyes on it. Performs excellent, but I have put in thousands of dollars in maintenance. Currently with pecking and grinding from the heater and the steering column my dealer tells me these sounds are normal and my sunroof is broke. If you have never owned a Mercedes up to this point I would stay that way, the dealers have absolutely raped my bank account. So this car is a Mona beautiful if you are standing back but when you get up close she is a let down!

Favorite Features

Acceleration of this fairly large heavy sedan and exterior appeal.

Suggested Improvements

Mercedes needs to build a strong car from bottom to top-worthy of their name!