1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
15 going on 30--A future classic
By dadconsult on 02/23/14 08:59 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I picked up my '99 CLK 430 for a song...and at 131,000 miles it runs and drives like new. The interior is flawless, leather seats show no wear and tear whatsoever. Power to spare, which is very evident when pulling onto an interstate vs my prior car, a V6 Accord. However, the Accord's ride was far better, the trade-off of a drivers' car. It is, however, much quieter and despite being 9 years older, feels more solid and well-built (it's German-built, mine has AMG trim) than the Accord. Now the rest of the story--it's a salvage car, was in an accident that took out the drivers' side front fender and bumper. Was repaired and cannot tell it was ever touched, no consequences are evident.

Great fun to drive car
By Kawl on 02/01/10 20:59 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about a year and a half ago and have loved driving it. It is a great strong car that always has a little more power when you need it. It is a solid car that continues to impress me. Things do break on the car but it seems to have a backup for everything. The sunroof sometimes stops but pressing the button in a different direction makes it work, then works later just fine. I also had a crankshaft sensor malfunction but was less than 150 dollars to fix. So far great luck with the car and it still looks brand new.

Built to Last
By Ron on 05/27/09 18:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a used Starmark auto the year it came out and having driven it for 10 years now I have had almost zero repairs other than standard maintenance. Recently my car was hit hard by another car right at the drivers door and both the car and I were just fine-not the same with their car. This car is a tank that is light on its feet, beautiful to drive and look at and it has performed beyond expectation. Only drawback are the upkeep on the low profile front tires which require changing often.

MB should not have redesigned it
By Dan on 04/25/07 23:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new and still have it after almost 9 years. I was driving a Dodge Avenger back in 1998 and saw this car on the road. The next day I was at MB dealership and ordered one with every possible option except for ski sack. The 3.2L engine is more than I need but it accelerates smoothly without any delays or gaps until you go above 60. The car is still the best looking vehicle on the road. Too bad MB had to redesign the look of it, I would have bought another one again. Now, I am keeping it. I've had mostly electrical problems including failed front computer twice and blown bulbs here and there but nothing major. Sometimes the car fails to start on first crank in any weather.

Beautiful until you get under the hood
By bhoward081 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I fell in love with the car at first sight I just had to have it. Problem is I wish I never laid eyes on it. Performs excellent, but I have put in thousands of dollars in maintenance. Currently with pecking and grinding from the heater and the steering column my dealer tells me these sounds are normal and my sunroof is broke. If you have never owned a Mercedes up to this point I would stay that way, the dealers have absolutely raped my bank account. So this car is a Mona beautiful if you are standing back but when you get up close she is a let down!

Best Car on the market
By MR.RIVERA on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe

This is a great car. It is fun to drive,sporty yet still luxurious. 4 years later it still runs like new and turns heads. I have had minimal problems ex: starter problem and sunroof problem that were expensive to fix.The other problem is when i bring it in for maintenance the dealer tries to sell me everything. Over all it is a great car and one that I plan on keeping forever.Maintenance is expensive but well worth it.

Believe the Hype.
By JayEmm on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I purchased my CLK 430 last February when it had roughly 37k on the odometer. I have placed about 6k on it since and have had absolutely no problems at all. The vehicle was a Starmark Certified Pre-owned car, which may be why I haven't had any trouble. The previous driver had leased it and told me he had it in for unscheduled service on two occasions, both minor.

A Drivers Car
By BlueMonk on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK320 2dr Coupe

No, I am not a racer. But I have become addicted to the CLK's instant acceleration. My only problem with it is that with a kid coming I have outgrown its size. Went and test drove the new FX45 from Infinti the other day. It does not even come close to the handling and acceleration. I guess I will be going with an E.

I love this Car!!!
By Ringmaster on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

I simply love getting into this car every day. The only problem that I have had with it is warping of my rotors (The first three months I always had my foot Way in it) The accelleration is outstanding and it handles well for a 5k lb car. I love the throaty sound of the 4.3 litre V8. I would highly recomend this car to anyone.

Hi-maintainance beauty
By mango77 on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class Coupe CLK430 2dr Coupe

In a nutshell, this car's very attractive, but a real lemon. I've taken it in to the dealership 8 times in a little over a year. Engine was torn down and rebuilt, amongst other obnoxious and ridiculous episodes. MD- DC dealership and MBUSA have completely turned a blind eye to me and I am considering legal action.