1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
15 going on 30--A future classic
By dadconsult on 02/23/14 08:59 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I picked up my '99 CLK 430 for a song...and at 131,000 miles it runs and drives like new. The interior is flawless, leather seats show no wear and tear whatsoever. Power to spare, which is very evident when pulling onto an interstate vs my prior car, a V6 Accord. However, the Accord's ride was far better, the trade-off of a drivers' car. It is, however, much quieter and despite being 9 years older, feels more solid and well-built (it's German-built, mine has AMG trim) than the Accord. Now the rest of the story--it's a salvage car, was in an accident that took out the drivers' side front fender and bumper. Was repaired and cannot tell it was ever touched, no consequences are evident.

Great fun to drive car
By Kawl on 02/01/10 20:59 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about a year and a half ago and have loved driving it. It is a great strong car that always has a little more power when you need it. It is a solid car that continues to impress me. Things do break on the car but it seems to have a backup for everything. The sunroof sometimes stops but pressing the button in a different direction makes it work, then works later just fine. I also had a crankshaft sensor malfunction but was less than 150 dollars to fix. So far great luck with the car and it still looks brand new.

Built to Last
By Ron on 05/27/09 18:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a used Starmark auto the year it came out and having driven it for 10 years now I have had almost zero repairs other than standard maintenance. Recently my car was hit hard by another car right at the drivers door and both the car and I were just fine-not the same with their car. This car is a tank that is light on its feet, beautiful to drive and look at and it has performed beyond expectation. Only drawback are the upkeep on the low profile front tires which require changing often.

Beautiful until you get under the hood
By bhoward081 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I fell in love with the car at first sight I just had to have it. Problem is I wish I never laid eyes on it. Performs excellent, but I have put in thousands of dollars in maintenance. Currently with pecking and grinding from the heater and the steering column my dealer tells me these sounds are normal and my sunroof is broke. If you have never owned a Mercedes up to this point I would stay that way, the dealers have absolutely raped my bank account. So this car is a Mona beautiful if you are standing back but when you get up close she is a let down!

Believe the Hype.
By JayEmm on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I purchased my CLK 430 last February when it had roughly 37k on the odometer. I have placed about 6k on it since and have had absolutely no problems at all. The vehicle was a Starmark Certified Pre-owned car, which may be why I haven't had any trouble. The previous driver had leased it and told me he had it in for unscheduled service on two occasions, both minor.

I love this Car!!!
By Ringmaster on 07/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I simply love getting into this car every day. The only problem that I have had with it is warping of my rotors (The first three months I always had my foot Way in it) The accelleration is outstanding and it handles well for a 5k lb car. I love the throaty sound of the 4.3 litre V8. I would highly recomend this car to anyone.

Hi-maintainance beauty
By mango77 on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

In a nutshell, this car's very attractive, but a real lemon. I've taken it in to the dealership 8 times in a little over a year. Engine was torn down and rebuilt, amongst other obnoxious and ridiculous episodes. MD- DC dealership and MBUSA have completely turned a blind eye to me and I am considering legal action.

MUST HAVE
By PJR on 03/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

As my wife and I began pricing out new vs used cars to replace my older "college car," we were intrigued by the classiness and sportiness of the CLK 430. My wife, not the finest judge of high technology, fell in love with it faster than I did. She walked in with me and we drove it home. I do agree with previous writings, cheaper interior than we would like, and temperature control near the feet in colder areas are a drawback--the dual temp control is cool, but a little tricky. The sunshade, V8, AMG rims, and ground effects make this my first child...

Beautiful Piece of Junk
By Mostly Bummed on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I should have believed Consumer Reports! The reliability of this vehicle is no better than a GM or Ford according to CR. Problems since I have owned it (37k to 42k miles): broken power rear shade, broken engine heat shield, broken cable for power drivers seat (twice now), persistent engine rattle, persistent interior rattles, leaking rear differential seal, faulty timing belt, broken lever to unlatch fold down rear seats, loose drivers' seat that needed new latches. All in all a highly frustrating and unreliable vehicle. My recommendation: sell it before the warranty expires, or better yet buy something reliable like a Lexus, Acura or Infiniti.

NEW AND EXCITED OWNER
By ELENI on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

From the first time I ever laid my eyes on the CLK I knew I had to have it. I had to wait a couple of years to fit it into my price range but alas that time has come. So far the car is magnificent. From the look and feel to the pick-up and speed. I haven't had too much time with it but can tell that this car will never lose my interest.