1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
MB should not have redesigned it
By Dan on 04/25/07 23:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new and still have it after almost 9 years. I was driving a Dodge Avenger back in 1998 and saw this car on the road. The next day I was at MB dealership and ordered one with every possible option except for ski sack. The 3.2L engine is more than I need but it accelerates smoothly without any delays or gaps until you go above 60. The car is still the best looking vehicle on the road. Too bad MB had to redesign the look of it, I would have bought another one again. Now, I am keeping it. I've had mostly electrical problems including failed front computer twice and blown bulbs here and there but nothing major. Sometimes the car fails to start on first crank in any weather.

Best Car on the market
By MR.RIVERA on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

This is a great car. It is fun to drive,sporty yet still luxurious. 4 years later it still runs like new and turns heads. I have had minimal problems ex: starter problem and sunroof problem that were expensive to fix.The other problem is when i bring it in for maintenance the dealer tries to sell me everything. Over all it is a great car and one that I plan on keeping forever.Maintenance is expensive but well worth it.

A Drivers Car
By BlueMonk on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

No, I am not a racer. But I have become addicted to the CLK's instant acceleration. My only problem with it is that with a kid coming I have outgrown its size. Went and test drove the new FX45 from Infinti the other day. It does not even come close to the handling and acceleration. I guess I will be going with an E.

Mama's Car
By Don_Q on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

The purchase of the MB 320 SLK was the result of my wife's refusal of the offer of a Porsche Boxter, a decision we have not regretted. Although a six cylinder model we have been impressed with the acceleration and handling and its appearance draws attention.

BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED
By EVERALDO on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

I love this car, it has to be one of the most beautiful cars on the road. Even now after 3.5 years people still stop and stare. The car is very reliable, I've taken it in for every scheduled maintenance call, (the computer makes it easy to remember) and if it wasn't for the fact that my kids are getting to big to fit in the back seats, I would keep this car forever.

Good Car
By JBfun4U on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

This car has been fun to drive and very enjoyable to own. It is vehicle # 3 and I seem to have a tough time wanting to drive the other two vehicles anymore. So far so good, plenty of extra features, and great treatment at the dealership when it's time for service.

A dream turned into a nightmare.
By "G" on 11/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

I've had my clk for almost 4 years. Was planning to keep it 4 ever but as you will see that was wishful thinking. The durability of the car is not what I would have expected from "Mercedes". They replaced the catalytic converter twice. The rear shade twice. The heated seat coils once and I still get blown fuses. When I spoke to the dealer about having to add oil more often than I should, their response was, the rings should have been replaced by 50K. Also I'm starting to have some starter issues. A $46,000 car with options and taxes. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER ONE. Good luck to all that have the 99 model.

CLK 320 Coupe
By O.S. on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

I've had the car for over three years = I bought it out of a lease. It looks and drives great. Not as sporty a ride as some other coupes available, especially accelerating from low speed, but it's great for highway driving. It runs smoothly and quiet at high speeds. Steering is precise, though not as sharp as a Porsche. The interior has held up very well despite extensive use, and the exterior look of the car is aging well.

This thing flies
By Adam C. on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

Initial pickup not like BMW or CLK 430, but once moving over 60 this car rocks (hint - don't use overdrive).

CLK320
By Howard265 on 02/26/02 23:38 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

Wonderful car, very smooth, quite fast. I upgraded to 17" AMG wheels, same as a CLK430 and this improved the appearance and the handling. The headliner had to be replaced to correct moonroof noise problems.