1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CLK-Class model:
15 going on 30--A future classic
By dadconsult on 02/23/14 08:59 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I picked up my '99 CLK 430 for a song...and at 131,000 miles it runs and drives like new. The interior is flawless, leather seats show no wear and tear whatsoever. Power to spare, which is very evident when pulling onto an interstate vs my prior car, a V6 Accord. However, the Accord's ride was far better, the trade-off of a drivers' car. It is, however, much quieter and despite being 9 years older, feels more solid and well-built (it's German-built, mine has AMG trim) than the Accord. Now the rest of the story--it's a salvage car, was in an accident that took out the drivers' side front fender and bumper. Was repaired and cannot tell it was ever touched, no consequences are evident.

Still Looks & Drives Great!
By realrideracing on 02/13/13 14:46 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Convertible

It seems that the W208 class (1998 - 2002)Mercedes Benz CLK has built up quite a following. Whenever I browse through the Mercedes Benz forums, there's no shortage of diehard W208 fans. We've had ours for a few years and love it still. With nearly 125,000 miles on the odometer, she seems like she'll do another 125,000 miles easily. Keep up on maintenance and you'll have no problems with the car. Acceleration is better than our newer E-Class. But the short wheel base of the CLK makes it a harsher ride. We have the AMG wheel package so that doesn't help. Like all MBZ cars, steering response isn't very sharp but once you get used to it, this car just corners like it's on rails!

Great fun to drive car
By Kawl on 02/01/10 20:59 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about a year and a half ago and have loved driving it. It is a great strong car that always has a little more power when you need it. It is a solid car that continues to impress me. Things do break on the car but it seems to have a backup for everything. The sunroof sometimes stops but pressing the button in a different direction makes it work, then works later just fine. I also had a crankshaft sensor malfunction but was less than 150 dollars to fix. So far great luck with the car and it still looks brand new.

Built to Last
By Ron on 05/27/09 18:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

Bought this car as a used Starmark auto the year it came out and having driven it for 10 years now I have had almost zero repairs other than standard maintenance. Recently my car was hit hard by another car right at the drivers door and both the car and I were just fine-not the same with their car. This car is a tank that is light on its feet, beautiful to drive and look at and it has performed beyond expectation. Only drawback are the upkeep on the low profile front tires which require changing often.

Worth the few repairs
By Jerry on 08/22/08 16:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Convertible

As a pre- owned, the car was void of service records and up to date service. However, after bringing the maintainence current the car has been great. The thottle positioning sensor needed replacement and minor electical with the top. Other than the usual service, no worries and a pleasure to drive. I now have 75k on this 1999 and have plans of holding on to it

MB should not have redesigned it
By Dan on 04/25/07 23:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new and still have it after almost 9 years. I was driving a Dodge Avenger back in 1998 and saw this car on the road. The next day I was at MB dealership and ordered one with every possible option except for ski sack. The 3.2L engine is more than I need but it accelerates smoothly without any delays or gaps until you go above 60. The car is still the best looking vehicle on the road. Too bad MB had to redesign the look of it, I would have bought another one again. Now, I am keeping it. I've had mostly electrical problems including failed front computer twice and blown bulbs here and there but nothing major. Sometimes the car fails to start on first crank in any weather.

1999 CLK 320
By spyke on 10/24/06 20:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Convertible

Overall this is a great car. With the top up it is much quieter than most sedans, and with the top down it is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. Everyone loves and envys this 7 year old car. Chrome AMG wheels really dress the car up.

1999 CLK Cabriolet
By jim bergtold on 12/23/04 13:57 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK320 Convertible and have put 20,000 miles on it. I have not had even one problem with the car. My only problem is that I have a hard time wanting to trade for a new 2005 model.

Eye Catcher
By NJC on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK320 2dr Convertible

I bought this car just a month ago and WOW! I bought it as a Starmark and purchased an additional 48 month warranty because luxury cars are known for expensive repairs. It is a used car and something is sure to break down, most cars do. Everyone just loves it and I am the envy of all my friends and family! It's an eye catcher with the top down. Just drive around the cornor and the men almost jump right in it. Performance is great! It's sporty and luxury in one car. When the top is down the back window has poor visability but you should be driving with your mirrors anyway. Only problem so far is that everyone wants to dirve it!

Beautiful until you get under the hood
By bhoward081 on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK430 2dr Coupe

I fell in love with the car at first sight I just had to have it. Problem is I wish I never laid eyes on it. Performs excellent, but I have put in thousands of dollars in maintenance. Currently with pecking and grinding from the heater and the steering column my dealer tells me these sounds are normal and my sunroof is broke. If you have never owned a Mercedes up to this point I would stay that way, the dealers have absolutely raped my bank account. So this car is a Mona beautiful if you are standing back but when you get up close she is a let down!