2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Consumer Review: It's a Benz

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class - Consumer Review

CLA250 Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 7-speed Automated Manual)

It's a Benz
By sumgai on

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class CLA250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

This beauty is a Benz, I know because I cut my teeth in Benz's, literally. My first ride was my Dad's 1962 220s and i used the door sill to help me cut teeth, so there were some holes in the leather near the front window vent. He moved on to a '72 280se 4.5, a '87 300e, a '98 e320 and then a 2007 e350. I bought the 98 e320 from him when he got the 2007 and I offered to let him keep the carpeted floor mats since the car interiors were the same color. Surprisingly, the e320 was wider than the e350 and the 98 floor mats were too wide for the 2007! So imagine my delight when the drivers side 1998 e320 floor mat fit perfectly in the 2014 CLA250! (the passenger-side mat was 2 long)

Favorite Features

Style, Style, Style. This beauty has the front end of a 50's 300SL, the side sculpture of a jet fighter's engine air intake scoop, and that low slung look of a Porsche Speedster. It exudes class far above it's sticker price! I like the classic Benz feel of being at one with the car. Controls fall readily to hand and the car responds to your input silently and precisely. My first trip was a 430 mile jaunt down Interstate 78 and Interstate 81; overcrowded freeways that demand full driver attention to pass the slow moving trucks and cars that clog both lanes. The CLA became an extension of me; Teutonic perfection in motion allowing me to concentrate on the road, not the car.

Suggested Improvements

A spare tire (space saver would be ok.) A standard rear view camera not requiring purchase of an options package. Hydraulic hood struts. A full set of gauges. A matched set of fitted luggage for the trunk like Mercedes used to offer for their cars in the 60's and 70's.