2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Consumer Review: A Brilliant Car! We love it,

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class - Consumer Review

CLA250 Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 7-speed Automated Manual)

A Brilliant Car! We love it, but not for everyone. . .
By cla251 on

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class CLA250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Upon my initial drive of CLA 250, the cabin was smaller and less traditional than any benz I had driven or rode in before, so much that the wife and I could not fall in complete love with it at first test drive. If you think of this as a sporty coupe, you will be fine. Need a roomy sedan? Look elsewhere. Proceeded to drive the A3, & BMW 320i. Truly liked each of these cars for different reasons, A3 was very fun to drive, lacked many standard comforts, VW ride 320i was a great, more solid traditional sedan, but short on innovation and a stingy w/ add ons. More same old. Drives great imo. The CLA resonated with us more after driving others in the price. We bought the CLA. Very pleased!

Favorite Features

Love the handling, response, sex appeal& innovation. Sport pkg. Many may fail to see is that this car has more innovation & engineering into it than a 320i for example. It's styling is obviously the sexiest IMO. BMW 3's are excellent driving machines, but they have not messed w/ a good thing in years. It may as well be the german luxury Camary, or any other line that sells well. Don't upset the apple cart! Which is fine-they are excellent vehicles. Audi A3= very cool, that could easily be a fine first choice. Looking for room? 320i has more of it. We felt you are going to make a few compromises in all of the entry level luxury prices. We love the CLA but, you may not. Beatles vs Stones

Suggested Improvements

I did my research and if you are reading this, you have probably seen some reviews as well. I was concerned the ride would be harsh. It's not, but I wouldn't say it's the smoothest of benzes!. Took me some time owning to find why this keeps coming up. Drive in sport mode in the city, feels like tranny is geared tight and rougher ride, drive in comfort, smoother ride. Drive in sport mode on the highway? Could be a different car. Drive in manual with paddle shifters? Fun! I am a diehard 280E owner and really, this car is not your burl walnut dad's mercedes. The CLA reviewers who expect that will obviously think the lack of standard trim make it "down market." Every bit a C class & more!