2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Mercedes-benz Cla-class - Consumer Reviews

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan

View reviews for a specific CLA-Class model:

Beautiful Styling, Great Safety Features, Moderate Performance
By filmdog

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan CLA250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

My wife and I have owned many cars. This is the best looking of the entire lot. We opted for just about every safety and appearance feature, and we got terrific safety, and head-turning style. The engine, however, is the standard 208 horse turbo four, and that's where things get less spectacular. Rated acceleration is good on paper, but you can feel the tiny powerplant revving hard to yield reasonably brisk results. Compared to a 350E that I drove recently, the CLA feels like an underpowered toy. No surprise given the price difference. Handling is good. The feel is "light", but nonetheless stable and precise. A tiny gas tank requires frequent refills.Mileage is fair--with Econ mode OFF.

Favorite Features

The biggest surprises in this vehicle come from the safety features. The blind-spot sensors on the side mirrors behave brilliantly. Our other car doesn't have this feature and we miss it. Of course other cars do have similar safety devices, but MB's version is always a bit better. Our rear view camera, for instance, displays an overlay that is the predicted path the car will take given current wheel position. A friend's new Camry has the camera but no overlay. Twice I've triggered the collision avoidance system--its judgment was perfect, and a hair faster than my aging reflexes. All the automatic features behave flawlessly

Suggested Improvements

Let's start with an easy one. A bigger gas tank. A beefier engine would be nice, without having to step up to the horribly costly A M G motor that runs an additional $10k. (Or is it 20?!) The shoulder harness lacks a tension controller, and the strap itself is cheesy. An uncharacteristic cheapness in a car that generally feels well made. And finally, the car just feels too light with only two riders aboard. Others have commented on the low headroom in the back, which seems to be due to the stylish roof line. If the car were a real sports sedan the trade-off would seem right. Let's have that bigger engine-- and thereby correct two issues.

Much more fun than expected...
By markcla

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan CLA250 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

After reading various car magazine reviews on the CLA250 4Matic, I was a little nervous about taking delivery of my Mountain Gray/Brown leather specially ordered vehicle. After 200 miles in the car, I’m ecstatic! Let me put to rest some of my concerns:

Favorite Features

1) Ride quality – I have the Sport Package AMG wheels/tires and the ride is terrific. Owned Es/Cs/X5s, Cayman and the CLA handles and rides more like a sports car. Tight in corners, nothing “harsh” about the ride at all. Stiffer than the big cars, but exactly what I hoped for. 2) Power–Quick, especially in Sport mode. In Economy setting a little extra gas helps it move out, but in town why gun it? I want a car with great gas mileage and this car will deliver. 3) Transmission – Not experienced any problems with downshifts-they are lighting fast-and even in the Economy mode power is available when needed. 4) Interior-Brown leather is beautiful, like chocolate milk. Excellent fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

Have already experienced warnings from the “blind spot” assist and “collision prevention” assist. They worked perfectly. Get the blind spot assist and back up camera to help with visibility. "Collision prevention" is standard. It's worth spending extra on leather as it upgrades the interior with MB tex on dash, doors, arm rests etc. Also ordered the upgraded sound and navigation system. Of course the AMG power would be amazing, but as a $17,000 option, didn't think it was needed. Happy exactly as ordered. Yes, it’s brand new, but I’m delighted and think you will be also. Order it.

cla 250 4matic
By discussion

bought the car in march and put 10,000 miles to date. the car is fun to drive, love the looks and the attention you get while driving it. we have had zero problem to date. The ride is smooth on the high way but little firm on rough pavement. I have driven the Porsche 911 and I am not comparing to two but I love driving the CLA much more than 2013 Porsche 911. its just seam to have a sportier feel on the road than the 911. it does not have a lot of room in the back for people 6ft but it is still comfortable. must get the sport body style with moon roof. I rate this car a 10. would highly recommend this car to any one. Wish there was a convertible CLA so I get one

Favorite Features

my favorite feature is the looks of the car, the moon room is deff a must on this car. love to sporty ride although it could be little smoother. Nav is easy to use. seat is very comfy . Love everything about this car.

Suggested Improvements

There is not much I would change except to make the suspension slightly less stiff or add as an option an air-matic suspension that can be activated with the touch of a button. A little more room would also help.

Hyped
By czeal001

Lags on low gears... salesman says "it's normal for a turbo small engine.." I've been driving volvo for over a decade now and never had a lad on their small engine. Test drove this CLA 2.0 and i had to stop on U-turn because could not get into gear... normal? Pretty dangerous if it lags like it is. You figure...

Great Car
By ericjohnsoncpa

2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class Sedan CLA250 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 7AM)

Fun to drive, love the car. The tires make the ride a little bit bumpy, but the rest of the car is great. Handles great and I love the power. It is a sports sedan so don't expect a roomy back seat even though at 6'1 I can sit in the back seat just fine. The gas mileage is better than the govt. ratings. I get 39 on the why and 33 in combined driving. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

What's not to like..

Suggested Improvements

none