Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz Cl-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

BEST Benz i've owned so far!
By david j sottini

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have only owned my 2008 black on black cl550 sport for 8 weeks now! Amazing car! I have a lot of experience with Benz brand and with the cl class. I owned and drove a 2003 cl500 sport 51,000 fun filled miles in three years and a 2006 cl500 sport 41,000 glorious miles in only 21 months. I already drove this cl class 2,200 miles. Around town is cool, back roads are a ball and very confident feel, tight handling staying on track perfectly for me. Open highway you feel like you're in a dream. Quiet inside, stable and just gliding along! Acceleration is great for a heavy car. Braking is terrific. The 382 horsepower and 7 speed transmission were made to go together very well. Sporty, comfort and luxury!

Favorite Features

of course the active body control is the best. dynamic and massage seats i use every day. interior tech. gadgets not as tough to use as i thought but still have a lot to go over and utilize. aggressive front end. sleek body at the same time not overly showy. pillar-less always my favorite look of CL!

Suggested Improvements

i like the door hinge design better on the previous design. doors are tough to stay open at where you want them. a bit more aggressive rear would be nice and as usual the AMG sport package is a must! a bit pricey sticker but i found a true cream puff with 18,000 miles very much under the sticker!

Better than a Bentley at half the price
By CaliforniaCL550

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The ultimate luxury car. Seriously, go test drive a Bentley Continental GT then take a ride in this! The fit is superb, the computer system is intuitive, the interior mood lighting at night feels like a sexy club, and the exterior (with AMG package - a must!) is the classiest thing on the road without screaming "look at me!" Unless you're looking for a compact nimble sports car feel, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Technology is fantastic, voice control works great, massage seats feel like you're getting a manny/petty , seat gripping function on curves wows your passengers, active body control is amazing. Find the rare Designo black & light cream contrasting interior with black piano trim- smoking hot!

Suggested Improvements

If I'm being really critical- rear view camera quality is mediocre, doors are big and don't stay in place when opening on a slope, night vision has a 1/2 second delay creating a slight visual distraction, ride is SO smooth and silent you could unexpectedly fall asleep.

CL550 Stealth mode Luxury & Performance
By English Euro

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my CL550 in like-new condition with 10k miles on it. This is a superb car. It is fun to drive, classy looking, loaded with high tech gadgets but not hard to use. Not obnoxious like driving a Bentley; most people don't know what the CL is which is a good thing. Nightvision is cool but weird to have a TV-like display on the dash while driving. Keyless go is neat, but takes a little getting used to. Car handles and accelerates very well. I have a 2005 911S which I may sell, as the CL seems an adequate replacement. I also have a 2004 S500 4matic which I may keep as my winter car. The phone integration with my Blackberry is excellent.

Favorite Features

Massaging seats are comfortable! Plus the drive-dynamic seats that hug you when cornering. So far, my first 1000 miles, I like this car a lot.

Suggested Improvements

A dedicated button to raise & lower the rear window shade, though I am using the spare/programmable button to do this.

overpriced coupe
By mercedes fanatic

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The CL550 is not a bad car. But it is vastly overpriced. In reality, it is nothing more than a short wheelbase S Class (sold in Europe), with a different body (which look just like the diminutive C Class) The rear seats are a joke as they are hard to access and fit small children only. I later traded up to a 2009 S550 for the added comfort, practicality and ride quality. I found out quickly how much these things depreciate. WOW. 40% in one year. That the CL costs more than the S class is unrealistic. The sedan is actually worth more than the coupe; I've owned both.

Favorite Features

technology, COMAND, fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

Take $30k off the price

Bought it and returned it in 2 days
By Steve

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Traded 2001 Porsche 911 Carerra4 convertible in on this.1st mistake was to buy this car,as my past cars,w/o really testing it,even though the dealer offered to let me drive it over the weekend. Mistake 2 was thinking that since Chrysler & Mercedes have now divorced, there would be no longer any residual parts from one division to the other...wrong.Basically it is the quality of the Crossfire. Plastic cheap parts,great engine,shoddy body part fit & overall...basically a glorified Chrysler. I guess if I wanted a Chrysler..I would have bought one. I am in no way trying to bash this car,& feel owning a Mercedes, BMW & Ferrari's in the past,I know cars.Ended up buying a BMW 650i,and love it.

Favorite Features

steering control, transmission,look

Suggested Improvements

Don't put on Dodge parts on a 80,000 car. I expected better from Mercedes??