Used 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercedes-benz Cl-class - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

Excellent car, but gremlins live in the cabin
By tcatter

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL600 2dr Coupe (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I've owned this car for approximately 3 years and no one dares to race me, even Porsches. I bought it with 3000 miles on it and it now has a whopping 15,000. I've had creaks in the seat that don't seem to go away and the fat foreman and Beverly Hills MB can't "identify" the problem because when he sits in the passenger seat the sound disappears to his his ass. Another problem are the sensors which buzz and ask to see the user's manual. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITHOUT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. It is an exceptional piece of machinery but not for anyone who pinches pennies.

Favorite Features

everything, it's a CL600 - twin turbo V12

Wish The Fuel Tank Was Bigger!!!
By yellowabarth

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL63 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.2L 8cyl 7A)

2008 Model, Got her used and does exactly what is says on the Tin... Sold a S500 because it was slower than I expected from standstill and this car is the reason to Live! I look for reasons to travel, Wish the Petrol Tank was bigger, then I would not need to stop.. No problems so far, is an American version in Dubai, and just got the Navigation working and it's sweet. Seats, Amazing, Steering , Amazing. Paid a third of its new price and got 3 times the value of a normal car. Fuel Bad, but who cares, Tyres are expensive but who cares. 50,000 Kms passed and everyone will have been hard, but she takes it in her stride. Engine sound to die for. No real complaints, but read my improvements.

Favorite Features

ENGINE,ENGINE,ENGINE, Distronic Cruise, Seats (WOW), Radio has fantastic sound, Radar is Different, The looks are Amazing. Finally the Drive, the salesman stated after taking this car home, I will never want to drive another car again? This is so True...... I really waste fuel driving to places the long way! The whole package is Amazing. My wife has a SL500 and it's not a patch. Please Note, This Car has Major Running costs and nothing is cheap on it, Has to be maintained Properly and please only buy one which has a full detailed history and have it checked before purchase for damage or accidents etc. could break your heart later if you buy a bad one. (ran out of room in the review section)

Suggested Improvements

Not Complaining but here goes. Wish the car remembered more settings when you return to the car ( All makes of cars are like this) Have to reset the Climate recirculating every time, Seat Massage etc etc. Bluetooth phone does not always Remember to activate? iPod connection is pre-war and hates my IPhone and ITouch... Good with my old IPod (car is 4 years old and things have moved on) BIG WISH.....Make a convertible version and it truly would be Perfect...... 4 Seater Heaven.....

BEST Benz i've owned so far!
By david j sottini

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have only owned my 2008 black on black cl550 sport for 8 weeks now! Amazing car! I have a lot of experience with Benz brand and with the cl class. I owned and drove a 2003 cl500 sport 51,000 fun filled miles in three years and a 2006 cl500 sport 41,000 glorious miles in only 21 months. I already drove this cl class 2,200 miles. Around town is cool, back roads are a ball and very confident feel, tight handling staying on track perfectly for me. Open highway you feel like you're in a dream. Quiet inside, stable and just gliding along! Acceleration is great for a heavy car. Braking is terrific. The 382 horsepower and 7 speed transmission were made to go together very well. Sporty, comfort and luxury!

Favorite Features

of course the active body control is the best. dynamic and massage seats i use every day. interior tech. gadgets not as tough to use as i thought but still have a lot to go over and utilize. aggressive front end. sleek body at the same time not overly showy. pillar-less always my favorite look of CL!

Suggested Improvements

i like the door hinge design better on the previous design. doors are tough to stay open at where you want them. a bit more aggressive rear would be nice and as usual the AMG sport package is a must! a bit pricey sticker but i found a true cream puff with 18,000 miles very much under the sticker!

Better than a Bentley at half the price
By CaliforniaCL550

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The ultimate luxury car. Seriously, go test drive a Bentley Continental GT then take a ride in this! The fit is superb, the computer system is intuitive, the interior mood lighting at night feels like a sexy club, and the exterior (with AMG package - a must!) is the classiest thing on the road without screaming "look at me!" Unless you're looking for a compact nimble sports car feel, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Technology is fantastic, voice control works great, massage seats feel like you're getting a manny/petty , seat gripping function on curves wows your passengers, active body control is amazing. Find the rare Designo black & light cream contrasting interior with black piano trim- smoking hot!

Suggested Improvements

If I'm being really critical- rear view camera quality is mediocre, doors are big and don't stay in place when opening on a slope, night vision has a 1/2 second delay creating a slight visual distraction, ride is SO smooth and silent you could unexpectedly fall asleep.

CL550 Stealth mode Luxury & Performance
By English Euro

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my CL550 in like-new condition with 10k miles on it. This is a superb car. It is fun to drive, classy looking, loaded with high tech gadgets but not hard to use. Not obnoxious like driving a Bentley; most people don't know what the CL is which is a good thing. Nightvision is cool but weird to have a TV-like display on the dash while driving. Keyless go is neat, but takes a little getting used to. Car handles and accelerates very well. I have a 2005 911S which I may sell, as the CL seems an adequate replacement. I also have a 2004 S500 4matic which I may keep as my winter car. The phone integration with my Blackberry is excellent.

Favorite Features

Massaging seats are comfortable! Plus the drive-dynamic seats that hug you when cornering. So far, my first 1000 miles, I like this car a lot.

Suggested Improvements

A dedicated button to raise & lower the rear window shade, though I am using the spare/programmable button to do this.