Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz Cl-class - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

A Rocket with Class
By mcrosson

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I recently bought an '06 CL55 AMG with low miles. It is the best looking big coupe MB has ever built, far better looking than the current body style, in my opinion. It is an absolute blast to drive... it has tremendous power and torque, faster than a speeding bullet and able to leap tall buildings in single bounds. It makes you feel like a superman driving it. The AMG seats are the best I've ever sat in, with more adjustments available than a chiropractor. The only downside to the vehicle is the gas mileage - 17 in the city, 19- 20 highway. When you pay $75 to fill a 21.5 gallon tank, it kind of hurts. Until you press the engine start button. That that big grin takes over.

Favorite Features

Start button, seat controls, very slick in-dash NAV/CD system.

Suggested Improvements

Put the damn star back on the bonnet!

what I think.
By DD

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

While there isn't much visual differences between the CL500,600,55 the 65 stands alone when it comes to power. The 604hp is almost too much for the rear wheels. I wish it had all wheel drive and was about 1500lbs lighter and was truly stand out that this vehicle cost close to $200K I was tempted to leave the window sticker permanently in the window. I also wish MB would not have put a governor on the vehicle it tops out at 155 where it still has plenty of room to stretch out to the 200 mark. I admit I don't feel 100% safe driving at the mid triple mark speeds b/c it is close to 6K lbs and would hate to have to try to stop or make a swerve If cash is tight go buy a BMW

Favorite Features

key less go- although I sometime forget the key in my pocket at the valet..

Suggested Improvements

drop weight down get rid of back seat-i never but anyone back there. all wheel drive,more distinct body for 65 get rid of Cl55 improve handling, get rid of governor, go LED on all lights and upgrade all leather surfaces move to a different sound system Bose is 90's

Mercedes CL 65 AMG
By CL 65 AMG

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

The only gripe that I have with the car is that it does not come with a manual transmission. But I'm otherwise totally floored by this car, never have I had this much fun, the car can do anything. Track days (bye bye Porsche, Ferrari, Vettes etc etc, normal drives in the mountains and eats up the highways. Comfort second to none and no noise ever! I love it and will be buried in it. One car I will never let go of. Might be expensive but you can't put a price on the smiles / mile in this car!

Favorite Features

Engine, ABC and interior..of course the pillarless coupe...say no more!

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission that can handle the 738ft/lbs of torque..(Mine has 845ft/lbs and 715hp...thankyou Kleemann)

My CL 500
By John Comis

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

My CL500 is a great car and fun to drive. Very easy on the eye. The CL is the perfect car for me and I am very happy with it. The 2007 CL is different not better looking as far as I am concerned. I just love the way the CL tracks around curves and its stability on the highway. The car is quiet, smooth, and powerful.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the smooth wooden steering wheel, fullsize front seats, stability control, ventilated front seats, power doors and trunk, and the classy look.

Suggested Improvements

I would not make any improvements. The car is perfect to me.

CL 55 review by an owner
By CL55 owner

2006 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I fell in love with this car, the handling, and the wonderfully powerful and smooth engine. I continue to enjoy the well-crafted and reliable engine (each engine is hand crafted by one person, and signed by him/her) and the excellent ride. And the car looks sharp, inside and out. But I will bot purchase another Mercedes. The "cons" are just far too many for a car that is $140K+. I average 13mpg (city driving), premium gas only. I have had to buy new tires on three occasions now (with less than 15,000 miles) They are fat tires and pick up all nails and cannot be patched. And tires are $500+ each. And reliability of non-engine components (electrical system especially) is awful.

Favorite Features

Engine -- the sound (purrrrr) and performance. Speed. Design and handling of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Mileage is horrible (10 - 13mpg city, at best). Poor tires. They have to be replaced often (more so than any other sports car I have ever owned). Very poor reliability for electrical system and other componets.