Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-benz Cl-class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG

CL55 AMG 5.4L V8 Supercharger 5-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Best buy used car ever!
By jet1rno

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Some call the CL55 AMG the depreciation king, and if I had bought one new I might agree, however there is more to the story than depreciation. The Cl 55 AMG is FULL of technology and admittedly if you buy a bad one you will be most unhappy so how do you avoid that? Pay a couple of hundred dollars before you buy one to have it pre-purchase inspected buy a Mercedes Benz dealer. This will save you time and major grief. If the owner refuses to allow this just say goodby. If it is a price "to good to be true" it probably will need a lot of TLC. Avoid boy racer modified cars, this car needs VERY FEW!

Favorite Features

This car is intoxicating and one of the great GT cars of all time. 500 HP and a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds is Ferrari and other super car country! The handling is phenomenal for a car that can hold four adults comfortably. Durability is very good IF maintained and driven properly (inspection above will reveal this, don't skip maintenance!) It has classical aerodynamics and looks a bit stodgy but that is part of its stealth appeal! Ergonomics in the cockpit are very good and passenger and driver are cocooned in comfort. Recently a new cross country record of 29 hours was set..in a used CL55 with over 100,000 miles on the clock with the original drive train not modified!

Suggested Improvements

Paddle shifters would be nice but If you drive one and find it lacking then you are VERY PARTICULAR and perhaps need to buy a new one as they will have minor improvements.

A Lifetime Dream Car
By ardeevin

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned many dream cars including a Ferrari, muscle cars like the SVT Mustang, classic muscle cars like the 1970 442 Olds W-30, beautiful cars like the mid-60s Corvette coupes and I can say without hesitation that the 2005 CL 55 AMG surpasses all of them in every category and I will not likely ever part with my car. I have owned it for 7 years now, my extended warranty ran out last September and I am still loving the car as much or more as the day I bought it. It is still a major head-turner every time I take it out which indicates to me that the design of the car is timeless so could be considered as "automotive art" on top of all the other benefits. Treat yourself and get one.

Everyone needs this car
By james

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This car is beautiful to look at and even more awesome to drive. It seats four adults technically, although the backseat can be a tad small. Navigation system is easy to use - not complicated at all as others have rated. It is a gas guzzler, however it is worth the extra premium gas price because the ride is awesome. I love it.I love the horsepower.I love the smell of the car, once again .This car is beautiful to look at and even more awesome to drive. Mercedes-Benz, thanks for all the hard work

Favorite Features

The sound that the engine makes

Suggested Improvements

Need more bass for the sound system

Superb car
By Tom

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Comfortable, responsive, and very fast. Interior and exterior are beautiful. Fuel consumption is average for a car with this power. Back seat access could be better. Fun to drive

Favorite Features

Electronic shifter on the steering wheel. One touch and you're gone. Best laid out interior of any car I have owned.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats should go forward more to improve access to rear seats. Voltage regulator goes bad without warning. Resale value drops quickly

The Definition of an Automobile
By PetLife

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

This is flat out, undeniably, the definition of fantastic motoring. I've owned BMWs, Audis, Porsches, Japan's best, Italy's best, and even other Mercedes, but the CL55 takes the cake. The whole cake and all the frosting. Even the frosting flowers. It's great looking, comfortable, sporty, safe, easy to drive slow or fast, and goes like a hell cat with its tail on fire when summoned. If you have the cash and you're looking for the complete package, look no further than this car. No excuses and dissapointments here. You'll thank me later.

Favorite Features

My new desire to run errands.

Suggested Improvements

No more flimsy plastic cupholders.