Used 2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:

Rarely driven gem
By Donna Felix

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL500 2dr Coupe (5.0L 8cyl 7A)

Best buy used car ever!
By jet1rno

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

Some call the CL55 AMG the depreciation king, and if I had bought one new I might agree, however there is more to the story than depreciation. The Cl 55 AMG is FULL of technology and admittedly if you buy a bad one you will be most unhappy so how do you avoid that? Pay a couple of hundred dollars
before you buy one to have it pre-purchase inspected buy a Mercedes Benz dealer. This will save you time and major grief. If the owner refuses to allow this just say goodby. If it is a price "to good to be true" it probably will need a lot of TLC. Avoid boy racer modified cars, this car
needs VERY FEW!

This car is intoxicating and one of the great GT cars of all time. 500 HP and a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds is Ferrari and other super car country! The handling is phenomenal for a car that can hold four adults comfortably. Durability is very good IF maintained and driven properly (inspection above will reveal this, don't skip maintenance!) It has classical aerodynamics and looks a bit stodgy but that is part of its stealth appeal! Ergonomics in the cockpit are very good and passenger and driver are cocooned in comfort. Recently a new cross country record of 29 hours was set..in a used CL55 with over 100,000 miles on the clock with the original drive train not modified!

Paddle shifters would be nice but If you drive one and find it lacking then you are VERY PARTICULAR and perhaps need to buy a new one as they will have minor improvements.

Incredible for the money on the used market
By syberfilm

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I have about 150,000 miles on my CL65. I always wanted a 65 but was told not to get one because of the expense to work on. Let me tell you this is ultra reliable and way cheaper then my Ferrari. I have only had to issues in over 100K of driving. I bought it used with about 50K on it. First issue was a coil unit went out and I had to replace it. Cost about $2,500.

The other issue, the ABC was drooping. The shop wanted over $3,000 to fix. I found a video on youtube and did it myself. for about $400 US. I am not very mechanical at all. It took me all day to do. But saved some bucks.
Other then those two issues. The car has been a dream. I just do the scheduled maintenance and drive.

New update at 185K.. Just got out of the shop for a B service about $900. They found a small leak in the cooling system and fixed that for $450.

Still runs strong. Burns about 1 quart of oil per 5,000 miles.

Drove it from Chapel Hill NC to California for a nice road trip. Looks like I will hit the 200K mark soon.

A Lifetime Dream Car
By ardeevin

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL55 AMG 2dr Coupe (5.4L 8cyl S/C 5A)

I have owned many dream cars including a Ferrari, muscle cars like the SVT Mustang, classic muscle cars like the 1970 442 Olds W-30, beautiful cars like the mid-60s Corvette coupes and I can say without hesitation that the 2005 CL 55 AMG surpasses all of them in every category and I will not likely ever part with my car. I have owned it for 7 years now, my extended warranty ran out last September and I am still loving the car as much or more as the day I bought it. It is still a major head-turner every time I take it out which indicates to me that the design of the car is timeless so could be considered as "automotive art" on top of all the other benefits. Treat yourself and get one.

Power...Luxury...Perfection
By Tom C

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL65 AMG 2dr Coupe (6.0L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my CL65 for almost two years and put almost 28K miles on it during this time. What an amazing car. It is literally a perfect combination of luxury and performance. The interior is still very pleasing to the eye and touch with high quality materials and fit. I still love the elegant and classic lines of the exterior. The torque is just unbelievable. The chassis does have a hard time corralling all that power...but you learn to be judicious with when/where you prod the throttle. I have previously owned an E39 M5 and Audi RS6, and I can't imagine getting rid of the CL65. There just isn't anything out there that compares (new CL65s weigh 200+lbs more with same power).

Massive torque, extended Nappa leather interior, alcantara headliner, classic interior and exterior styling, OEM wheels, great highway gas mileage when cruising (25+MPG).

Wider rear tires to help put massive torque to the ground, stock exhaust a little muted (I fixed that).