1999 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Consumer Review: Can't Find a Better Car for th

1999 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class - Consumer Review

Can't Find a Better Car for the Money
By Mark@Edmunds on

1999 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class CL500 2dr Coupe

I picked up my 1999 CL500 about two years ago from the estate of a Chicago attorney. The car had about 30,000 miles on it and, aside from a few light scratches on the trunk lid, was like new. Since then, I have driven it about 12,000 miles without incident. The car excels at long highway trips and, amazingly, can travel up to 600 miles on a single tank of fuel. The Bruno Sacco lines still look great today, and the quality of materials throughout is unmatched by anything today short of Bentley or Rolls Royce. It's hard to believe you can get all that for less than the price of a cheap new subcompact.

Favorite Features

The best feature of the car has to be its powertrain -- the legendary M119 V8 matched with a surprisingly lively 5-speed automatic. I'm always looking for an excuse to dip into the throttle and bring the revs past 3000. There's plenty of grunt, even for such a heavy car, and the sound is magnificent.

Suggested Improvements

The one thing I would change -- and I probably will someday -- is to enhance the rather subdued exhaust note.