1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (13 reviews )
Rock Solid Fun
By dave22244 on 07/12/11 14:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

I have owned a 1999 C43 for 10 years, have 94,000 miles on it. I had a 1992 Porsche-built MB 500 E before that. I have owned many very high performance cars (1973 Datsun 240Z re-manufactured into a Scarab, 1954 Austin Healy with a 350 Chevy etc. and this one is my favorite. It is a a comfortable, reliable, solid, fast, functional sleeper. It is known locally as my truck, since I use it mostly to haul building materials of all sort. I love this car. My wife has a 1997 E550 and it is good, but not C43 good.

Amadeus ROCKS
By Russ Hoffman on 06/28/10 19:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

I have owned several Mercedes-Benz from 280SE to a C240 4Matic (wife's car) and this is my favorite. Wonderful creature comforts and city driving manners, but that's NOT why you would buy this car. I just took it to High Plains Raceway to get acquainted in a controlled environment. This is a heavy car, but handles extremely well. Well-balanced, good turn-in, good feedback, controllable through the limits of adhesion, fun to throttle-steer (with traction control off). Though half a ton heavier, it held its own with M3s and 911s. Next trip is to the dyno to verify HP - this car is better than advertised, even with almost 100k miles!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
By Homers4545 on 12/20/09 20:41 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

I only ever dreamed of owning an AMG. We found a very affordable C43, took it for a test drive and that was it! We had to have it. Incredible car to drive, sounds great, powerful, unreal handling and the brakes are unbelievable. Extremely comfortable interior. This car has it all. Only wish I could have afforded one years ago. We will never let this one go. Ultimate low key "sleeper" "super car".

A True Q-Ship
By Jeremy on 10/10/07 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

This is the most interesting and characterful car I have ever owned, and they are becoming very affordable now - and so much more interesting (and rare) than the M3 competition. The formula of light body-shell and big engine gives great performance (160 mph, 0-60 in 5.5) and excellent economy (I get 24 mpg average). The body is stiff, the mechanicals are unstressed, it's very comfortable in supportive seats, and the AMG feature-set is very attractive. Dealers are expensive but parts are very available and affordable on the web. And the C43s have it all over the later supercharged C32s mechanically; why do you think AMG went back to the big engine C55/C63? I plan to keep it for a long time

The Q-Ship
By Jeremy on 02/27/07 10:35 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

The C43 is a true sleeper. A lightweight body, anonymous and quiet design, with a stonking engine and massive (E55) brakes. The combo gives excellent performance and very acceptable fuel economy (24 mpg). It has brought me through filthy weather such that I have many times thanked the car as I have walked into the house from the garage (don't tell my friends about this...). It's the last of the hand-built AMGs, built like a tank and full of character: speaks softly and carries a big stick, for when you give it wellie and cross 4,000 rpm, it puts on a Nascar soundtrack. I never tire of its dual nature, and I plan to keep it forever. It is a wonderful machine.

Worthy
By Blacklumix on 11/25/06 07:48 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

Plusses: Supersonic tank-ette. Excellent safety/handling features. Solid at higher speeds. Leaves the pack at the starting gate. Great sound system. Classic interior. Huge trunk. Minuses: Some cheap trim pieces. Fair FM antenna. Snow tires required. Tight rear seat. Fuel economy 18 mpg avg. Electronics can be iffy.

Vault On Wheels
By Larry on 03/24/06 16:35 PM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

I have had my 1999 for 3 years and really enjoy it. The suspension is a bit firm for Wisconsin frost heave streets but that is my only complaint. I love the exhaust note and the power. I had the engine management computer reworked to eliminate the stumble under full power shifting. That was money well spent. I have also put after market wheels on it and feel that has improved the appearance. This is my first MB and I will own others. True class has no year of manufacture.

Find one if you can.
By Grave Digger on 10/24/05 21:08 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

Just sitting in this car brings a smile from ear to ear. Put simply, you never stop smiling. Cornering feels better in my 92 SVX and it could use speed sensitive steering and a CD/MP3 player. Best value for the buck. I paid 17k out the door and later found out that I only had 8000 miles on a new that was installed by the dealer(because the old engine was using too much oil). Good daily driver lots of percs for the buck. Much older Benz drivers stop and stare. Young women have to be denied rides from the married man. But they still get the smile.

Top of the line. True muscle
By eczachly on 10/11/05 11:12 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

This was my dream car in 1999, very fast, sophisticated and stealthy! Fast forward to 2005 and its time to buy a new car. I was looking at the Volvo S60R, until a conversation with my wife arose. I told her I liked the Volvo R because it reminded me so much of the Benz C43 I drove back in 99'. She turned to me and said "if you keep comparing cars to the 99'Mercedes C43, why don't you get one?" I laughed and said they only made something like 550 of them in 99', I will never find one and if I do it will have high miles. The web search turned up 3 in the U.S. one was about 50 miles away. Oh, could this be real? 1999 C43 w/ 43,000 miles and perfect. It was the fastest purchase in history

C-leeper
By 1funv8 on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Sedan C43 4dr Sedan

I wanted a car that my wife could drive to work daily and that I could take out and still feel young after I get out of the company car (1997 Olds 88) What a gem! It's free. This is one of my top three most favorite cars I've owned out of 53 and still buying. Everey time I get in this car about 40 MPH I stomp on it and it sounds brings a smile to my face :-). I might just buy the wife something else to drive just so I can savor the fun.