Used 1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (8 reviews )

Highway wundercar
By Vnend

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

Ample HP and torque, good gas milage (26MPH highway new, 24.5 now) and a solid engine. After 165K miles and 10 yrs I still love this car. Replaced 2 wheels due to potholes, the front bumper loves to snag things and the stock toe setting cups the tires. Minor plastic bits inside have worked loose, but the interior is still quiet. Once the sunroof decided to start opening itself. Lower control arms up front do wear out, but that might be my driving. The gas gauge sensor in the tank would stick occasionally, but hasn't in over a year now. Using 1 quart oil every 1500-1800 miles now, but at 180K miles, that isn't surprising.

Horsepower, reliability. Seatbelts worked for a 300+ pound friend.

Deadpedal is a stretch for me. Tilt adjustment of steering wheel would be nice. Seat setting memory. Minor things.

The Sleeper
By Ravigunn2

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a year and 1 month. It is awesome. The car is light weight so it handles beautifully. And also a light weight car, coupled with an AMG tuned big 4.3L V8 engine = a pretty fast car. At higher speeds it feels poised and at ease. My car has 156,000 miles on it. So far, the car is very reliable and I have only had to do basic upkeep work on it. Nothing major. I have replaced the mass airflow sensor, evaporator temperature sensor, and my O2 sensors. So all in all, that's under $500 in repairs.

All controls are very basic. Even my mother who is not at all tech savvy can easily operate the vehicle including the climate control etc. The engine is truly a masterpiece. The AMG body work is awesome. The exhaust note is a tribute to Pavarotti.

None. It meets all requirements for a car in its class. A small compact sports sedan, with a secret under the bonnet.

Great car if you can find the right fuel
By Peter

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

This car loses significant power with California RFG II gasoline. Avoid this car if you can't get other fuel. That said, when I can get federal RFG fuel or non-RFG fuel, the car's engine is hampered only by the lame transmission. This car is one of the last (and best) "old school" Mercedes out there. On the used market this car is bargain priced, but I hope you have a skilled and low-cost mechanic to work on it. I lost the transmission at 60k miles ($6000) and the crank shaft rotation sensor at 80k (not expensive, but left me stranded). Avoid this car if you are going to get service at a Mercedes dealer.

Two-tone interior colors are a great special touch. Since I was born and raised on W114 bodies, I appricate the old-school build and ergonomics--love the recirculating ball steering, 80's era cruise control stalk, beefy and heavy steering, and tank-like build.

Absolutely needs stick shift. (The auto transmission is a very weak point.) Would like to fully deactivate electronic nannies and have limited-slip differential as standard. (note: LSD was an Euro option but USA models only had "electronic LSD"; i.e.: electronic nannies with an open differential)

The Best of the W202 cars
By Ian

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

Absouloutly love the car! I bought it with 110K mi on it, it now has 132K+ on it and no major repairs, just very minor maintnence. It has no squeaks or rattles, everything works perfect. And that cannot be said about my 2000 50K mi Corvette. In fact the 130K Mercedes feels tighter and newer than the Vette. German cars are built better and better engnerred than American cars and they don't rust either. Not even the hardware. I actually baught the Mercedes because the Vette kept breaking. Now the Vette's for sale and no more domestics for me. Parts are cheap for a Mercedes too. About half the price of the Vette's. If you buy a clean C43 that's been maintained you won't be disappointed!

Quality and German engineering. This car will last 300K mi with proper maintnence no problem, and still feel like new!

A little more low end torque and a limited slip rear would be nice.

The German Beast from AMG
By David Carriger

1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG C43 4dr Sedan

Unbelievable car - not bad off the line but when rolling on the highway , wow! The torque is unbelievable , 50mph to 70mph is like 3 seconds.You can get in or out of any kind of trouble you want with this vehicle.It is imperative that you stay up on the maintenance of this lady.

Torque - it's neck snapping !

Please add a supercharger to this beast !