Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Major defect with Mercedes engine components
By md_car_review

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

The overall reliability for the 2006-2007 W203s is excellent until you encounter failure of the balance shaft gear. My father owns the 2006 model, and the component failures that he experienced with his car are now mirrored at precisely the same mileage on mine. 1) The thermostat valve tends to fail after around 100,000 km. 2) More importantly, the balance shaft gear fails after around 130-140,000 km. This is a MAJOR DEFECT that MB declines to recall. Essentially the gear wears out prematurely, and if not replaced, the engine will eventually fail. The repair cost is $5-6,000. As a consumer, this is unacceptable. Shame on Mercedes-Benz.

Favorite Features

Ergonomic layout, styling, Lombard support.

Suggested Improvements

The C-class of this generation should have been equipped with Bluetooth as a standard feature.

Excellent Bargain for a great dependable and good looking car !
By mannyb84

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

07 auto c230 , Obtained Ownership 59k in Oct. 2009 The carfax was clean, trans. replaced at 49k by MB. I took the car and was impressed for a 2.5L that it had some performance. I am aware of the balance shaft problem. I had a build date of SEPT 07, so I was in the clear. The transmission shifted smooth and responsive. I always changed the oil with Mobil Synthetic 0W-40. Solid suspension, smooth car, felt safe. Very comfortable car even on long and short drives. I would get about 17city, 33hwy and always filled it with 93 Octane. Lost it during Hurricane Sandy with 84k. Let me just clarify if you maintain the car with a good quality of gas and oil you shouldn't have issues.

Favorite Features

All the gadgets and buttons are perfectly detailed and in the right places. When the interior lights are on the cluster lights up beautifully and the rest of the interior has a nice color. I got a lot of great compliments from the car (black on black). The wheels on the 07 models are by far the nicest. Auto Transmission very responsive through out the gears. Tight suspension, very sensitive on the steering which I like. Interior was roomy. Steering wheel looked great. One of the coldest a\c's I've seen. I accelerated hard and the gears would change quick and smooth. The car would brake quickly. The car opened nice and sometimes I could hear the variable timing go on through the stock intake.

Suggested Improvements

The remote entry did not work right, I had to always be near the door. The module had to be replaced and it was expensive because its under the rear headliner. The car lacks an AUX input on the 07 models for the oem radio. There is no aftermarket solution unless you make your own custom wires and bridge them, or change the oem radio which as well wont ever match with the interior of the dashboard. Keypad on oem radio worthless because bluetooth unit is too expensive. Blower motor made medal to medal noises you can hear through the vents when it was on low after 2 years of owning it. Chrome around cupholder vanished after a year of owning it. Paint on bumpers peeled off easily.

DON'T BUY!
By tell_the_truth

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the balance shaft gear failure! This is very common issue in all Mercedes Benz cars that have the M272 engine in it. This is a major issue that costs over 5K to replace and that's if your engine is not destroyed by the metal that goes through your engine as this gear/sprocket fails. Do a little research and see for yourself there are multiple class action lawsuits regarding this matter and since 2010 MB USA fails to accept responsibility and sticks its customers with this huge repair bill! Beware this issue starts with the P0016 together with the P0017 engine code with failure soon to follow! Also shame on Edmunds for not listing such a well known issue!

Favorite Features

Car is built well and would be nice if the internal engine components were built as well!

Suggested Improvements

Fix this major issue that spans multiple models from 2006-2010...buyer be ware!

I really enjoy my new MB C280 (thought purchased USED with 37K miles)
By newmbkid

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

I love the car. However the repairs are very expensive. I bought it old from an Accura dealer. I like everything about the car

Favorite Features

Handling is totally superb. very well designed car.

Suggested Improvements

These are some of the repairs suggested by the dealerand it is going to cost $1000s more. 1. Front end alignment and Brake pads wore off with in 37K miles. 2. Now I hear from my service guy that front right Shock absorber may have to be replaced 3. Also heard that MB stopped making connector part where the Blue tooth connects so I have to buy it in secondary market. .

Lowest Model Range But Highest Standards.
By redrex

2007 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought 2007 used w/11k runs like a Swiss watch. This car has precision DNA from the quality of fit and finish to highly responsive handling. Replaced oil and tires....that's it. Value for $$ would be difficult to beat. When you look forward to running to the store for milk just to drive your car (even of you don't need milk) you know you have something special.

Favorite Features

Aesthetics, Handling and shear driving pleasure!