"iron fist in a velvet glove"
By fooe on
2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C55 AMG 4dr Sedan (5.4L 8cyl 5A)
I originally bought this vehicle because my wife would not let me buy a E39 M5 due to the manual transmission, so I had resigned myself to a life of commuting boredom without my beloved 3rd pedal. "At least I'll have the big V8 to listen to while I wait for the transmission to catch up to my right foot" I thought. Well, I was wrong. The AMG SpeedShift is extremely impressive in daily use; it is very rarely in the wrong gear and is tuned for an enthusiast driver. Sport mode is very entertaining and Comfort isn't a blatant sacrifice to the EPA mileage gods. This, coupled with the prodigious amounts of torque and deep exhaust note, make for an entertaining drive even in traffic.
Favorite Features
I never thought I would say it, but I really like the auto trans. I also like the engine, exhaust note, precise steering, high quality interior materials, and firm but comfortable suspension. The understated looks help you blend into traffic, at least until you floor it and can't hide the V8.
Suggested Improvements
Don't bother with the nav system; it is very outdated and hard to use by today's standards. The sound system is average at best, unfortunately. Just turn it off and listen to the engine instead.