Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Great car for under 20k
By seanj76

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this Mercedes Benz C230 Sport edition after owning a 94'C220 for 12 years. My old 94' didn't age so well, the transmission had issues and engine lost most of it's power early on. I had driven a few of the 2006-2007 C's as loaners and I fell in love with the C230 sport 2.5 V6 automatic. Great change from the earlier 4 cyl Kompressors! I got this car for $19,300 with 22k miles Certified from Motorwerks of Barrington, IL. I didn't have to haggle much either, I bought this car on Black Friday 2008 when NO ONE was buying cars due to the recession. Black on Black fully loaded, and I mean loaded- GPS, 10 speaker surround Harmon Kardon stereo, seat warmers, full power seats, leather, etc

Car amazingly has a decent amount of horsepower 201@6,200rpm. Shifts smooth in C mode and snappy in S mode. Gets 21mpg city and 30mpg hwy. 7 speed automatic has few issues, although in the colder weather it's slow to warm up due to the trans-cooler and occasionally lags. This MB handles like a cart! I've road raced this car and pushed it to its limits. It's a very attractive handling 6 cycl. Has had one minor recall in 7 yrs that Iv'e owned it, a camshaft wire harness, they installed it free of charge during a routine B maintaince.

Don't get me wrong for a sub $40k MB C class this car has everything a person could want. MB could of made some transmission flashes to the cpu for when the car was colder, to shift more "on time" I've had the transmission serviced at 42k and mechanic assured me that it looked and ran perfect. They always resort to the same line "Adaptive Shift Functionality" which is suppose to adapt to however the person drives. Maintaince is as expected..expensive but as the saying goes if you can afford a Benz then you can afford the maintaince!

Great for 2 types of people
By nwb2

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4MATIC Luxury 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mercedes particularly the c280 4matic is great for two types of people: the first of which being the people who can afford the the maintenance fees and shop labor charges, but your buying a Mercedes not a Kia its somewhat an investment. The second type of person to purchase this vehicle is someone who ive very mechanically inclined and able to handle some of the basics themselves, i.e. brakes, belts, transfer case fluid, Diff fluid, spark plugs, etc. If your not one of the two listed above and your budget can not allow for a dollar oil change this may not be for you.

AWD but another option to maintain, i came from a 97e320 that had over 195k and still ran in tip top condition until the selfish lady with no license or insurance took me out and totaled it To be honest the older e class felt and operated like a better built car this seems like a really decked out camry

standard 17 inch rims, standard Bluetooth integration, full size spare (please) turbo charger ,

Quality all around
By lastcaress

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 4MATIC Luxury 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got my MB C280 4Matic in 2009. I was turned in at the end of a lease, had less then 40k miles, and only paid $19k for it. I live in Colorado and need the all wheel drive. When comparing it to other AWD cars available, this was by far the best value. When test driving the cars the MB had almost no signs of wear, and the best overall fit and finish. The MB drove as well as the Audi and Subaru, the Toyota and Volvo were overpriced and lack luster. After 3 years I still love my MB. It is still very peppie, and handles (and rides) like a dream (like you think an MB should). Reliability wise,,,,,,, I have not had it in the shop once!!!

3.0L V6 w/Tiptronic 5-Speed Single touch turn signal 4Matic 4 way disk breaks and abs Heated Windshield Washer Jets - Jets and reservoir All windows are 1 touch Laser start Key Power heated mirrors Seats myself and 4 kids no problem

Better MPG (only around 26-27 on average)

Transmission Problems Right After 4 Years
By itsats

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This was the first time that I purchased a brand new car. It has been nothing but problems since owning it. In addition to costly regular maintenance, I have had to replace brakes, rotors twice, tires need to be replaced often, the power steering pump went out, and shortly after 52,000 miles I began having transmission problems. It continues to start in a higher gear creating lag when I push on the gas. Other times, it will not automatically upshift and stays in first gear. In ordet to override the problem, I pull over, turn off the car, and then restart again. I will NEVER purchase a MB again.

I originally was interested in this vehicle because of the exterior design. Although a little small, I love the design of the interior. It does get good gas mileage, but needs premium fuel.

Recall due to transmission problems.

A Fun Little Car
By rayro

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We have had this car for 3 years now. I have found it to be a reliable, fun car to drive. Fit and finish is outstanding. The car moves out smartly and the ride is smooth. Service at the dealer has been very good in spite of the service prices. Its about time to replace a second car, and I think I'll take a look at the E-class.

I like the 7 speed transmission and paddle shift, the sun roof, the paint job.

A few more horsepower would be appreciated.