Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Very Pleased - with fingers crossed
By DGS49

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a HOOT to drive! It corners, brakes, and accelerates very nicely. It has just enough power to be fun, yet gets great mileage with the 6M. Although the interior is not spacious, the seats are comfortable and supportive. I'm not a stereo buff, but I think the sound system is great. My only criticism of the driving experience is that the steering is over-assisted and lacks feel. I've had no reliability issues thus far, and the dealer even replaced a hard-to-get-at bulb under warranty. I am using 4 snows and it has gone great in snow and ice, despite being RWD. There is some flexibility in tire sizing, and I was able to get 17" snows very reasonably from Tire Rack.

Favorite Features

Handling, fuel economy, appearance, stereo, maneuverability (turning circle is unbelievable).

Suggested Improvements

None. It is what it is: a small, fairly economical sporty car, which can be had (used) at a very reasonable price. I have yet to experience the reliability issues mentioned by others here, and I am limiting my miles on the M-B to extend the warranty as long as possible.

Mercedes Not Worth the Aggravation
By Bill

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C350 Sport 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Vehicle was purchased because I bought into the Mercedes mystique that their engineering was a far cut above all others. Not only was that a mistake I found that the required preventative maintenance you have to perform on this vehicle could make you deplete a small fortune. First year cost for preventative scheduled maintenance was about average it is the subsequent years that send you spinning. My average trips to the dealer for scheduled maintenance was hitting me for a bout $600 a pop and they hadn't got to the transmission/coolant flushes and etc yet. Best thing I did lately was trade this dog.

Suggested Improvements

Make it a little larger on the interior and more comfortable and get the preventative maintenance items down.

Three words - "piece of junk"
By Mark Atlanta

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 5 MB's since 1989 and through the years have been pretty much pleased. I bought the C230 Sport, bright Mars Red. Styling is hot - but that is where it stops. The aluminum interior trim looks like it was cut from an old tin can. Performance was lacking and at idle the car had a lot of engine vibration. At 3,000 miles, most of the lightbulbs had blown, and the windows would periodically start going up and down by themselves. First service appt. cost $ 300.00. MB should take a clue from BMW and quit putting 4 cyl. engines in these cars. I just traded this car last week for a new 2006 BMW 330i (resale was awful) and traded my SLK230 for a new Z4 - 3.0. My MB days are over.

Favorite Features

Ride is very smooth on the highway and looks going down the road are great.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the "pleather" interior, poor craftsmanship - this is not "my father's MB". Engine vibration when idling.

Retension belt
By RogPark

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

I had this car for less than one year, enough time for me to have all sorts of service issues. I was sold this car as a "certified" vehicle which is marketing bs talk for "used" car. In a nutshell, I had problems with the retension belt. I drove 8,000 until the belt had to be replaced. I argued that this is something that needed to be covered under warranty and even the Benz service guy agreed. It wasn't so I had to shell out $440. I bought a Hyundai Vera Cruz at about the same time as the C280. I'm on the verge of exchanging the C280 with a Sonata. Ata least my expectations won't be high with a Sonata.

Favorite Features

Nice engine and a nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Benz customer service should really check their attitude. They are honestly not customer friendly and incredibly hostile.

Geared too low / Poor gas Mileage
By P3 IFO

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C230 Sport 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Overall I love the car. 4500 miles with no repair issues. Car handles and rides great. Low road noise. Very good looking car. I have 3 minor issues; Manual transmission is geared to low, need a different rear end. This leads to poor fuel economy. Driving conservitavily I get 17-20 mpg around town. At 3500 miles the engine developed a low pitched howl. Dealer say it the metal chain on a nylon sprocket that drives the oil pump

Suggested Improvements

Change gear ratio on manual transmission. Get rid of "oil pump howl"