Used 2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C280 Luxury Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercedes-benz C-class - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific C-Class model:

Most Helpful|
Expected longer romance for the money
By Damonndallas

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

My C280 is the sixth MB I have owned from the same dealership. I have always been happy, until this car. At first, it was what I had come to expect from MB. Now, after 64,000 miles, there are creaks and squeaks, the "check engine" light comes and goes, and the silver trim on the interior is peeling away. Adding the ultimate insult, I visited the dealership to trade for a new one, and was offered $12,000 for trade. YIKES! On a three year old car! The resale value was enough to send me running to the nearest Cadillac dealership, and the plastic finish in the C300 didn't help. The CTS 3.6L out performed the C300 hands down. The luxury finish out sealed the deal.

Favorite Features

Style and comfort. The C280 is a cruiser. A little small for trips over 4 hours, but a great way to get there if you have to drive.

Suggested Improvements

NEVER go cheap on the interior of a European luxury car! For $41,000, I expect the interior to go the distance.

Not really worth the $
By Hutch

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

Was my first and last Mercedes. thought this manufacture stood for quality, comfort and performance boy was I in for a shock. Required preventative maintenance on this car is expensive! First year about the same as others $400 - $600 its the subsequent years that get you doubling and tripling that. Couple that with numerous annoyance problems that were under warranty and corrected but still shouldn't happen. Items such as; squeaky pullies, engine maintenance light and etc. Decent layout inside but not comfortable; seats thin, low to the ground and small interior space don't accommodate us folks of 6 feet tall or greater. Do what I should have done pass this dog on by save some money.

Favorite Features

AC controls and stability during maneuvers.

Suggested Improvements

Make inside larger, more comfortable seats and by all improve the quality and reduce the scheduled maintenance.

2006 CPO C280
By JT

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

I purchased this one year old former dealer loaner after an extensive online search. Ive mostly owned Japanese cars before, with one long term Volvo. This MB, like the Volvo, is a driver's car, not an owner's car. It handles beautifully, is a great highway cruiser, is sharp looking and, so far, trouble free. I didnt get awd, tho Im now in the snowbelt, and I dont take it out in the snow much at all. Its fine around town, but its real strength is on the highway, very solid and sure, a real pleasure to drive. If it remains trouble free it will be a winner.

Favorite Features

7 sp auto trans, handling, 32mpg highway, 24mpg city (tho premium fuel), solidity, power.

Suggested Improvements

Hard seats, no manual radio station scrolling,

Retension belt
By RogPark

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

I had this car for less than one year, enough time for me to have all sorts of service issues. I was sold this car as a "certified" vehicle which is marketing bs talk for "used" car. In a nutshell, I had problems with the retension belt. I drove 8,000 until the belt had to be replaced. I argued that this is something that needed to be covered under warranty and even the Benz service guy agreed. It wasn't so I had to shell out $440. I bought a Hyundai Vera Cruz at about the same time as the C280. I'm on the verge of exchanging the C280 with a Sonata. Ata least my expectations won't be high with a Sonata.

Favorite Features

Nice engine and a nice ride.

Suggested Improvements

Benz customer service should really check their attitude. They are honestly not customer friendly and incredibly hostile.

best birthday EVER
By Josh

2006 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedan C280 Luxury 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 7A)

This car was my 18th birthday gift from my parents last April (I know! How am I not spoiled?...) Anyway, they made a big deal out of driving it up in the middle of the party, and it stunned like only a Mercedes can! I still get a lot of attention for driving this car, and I love it. It's a real lady killer. The level of performance is great, and the interior is very comfortable. On long drives home from college, I often find myself just hunkering down in the leather seats and enjoying the ride. It's got great torque for passing and red lights. I love the design, too, both inside and out. This is, in my opinion, one of the sportier of the less expensive MBs. A definite recommendation!

Favorite Features

comfort. performance. sunroof! upgraded sound system. the engine isn't that impressive, so I love how quiet the ride is. control column layout is very convenient. fuel economy is great--I rarely find myself getting below 20, and on long trips I often get 30+

Suggested Improvements

headlights are just sad